interesting article from Hargreave Hale

http://www.hargreave-hale.co.uk/bulletin/Bulletin.pdf

Very good article - thanks for posting.

I do think that the author gives too much credibility to the Central Banks though. The problem is that all Central Banks behave in the same way, but some will run out of gold to sell at some point. This will mean that the gun will run out of bullets, and the central bank's country will be in hyperinflation or use another country's currency.

Therefore, there exists within the system an inbalance that needs to be fixed. If every central bank is happy for the yanks to be in charge forever more, then there is no problem and therefore no imbalance. We will all move to the good old US Dollars for all our transactions.

However, I do not think it is in the nature of each Central Bank to be 'told' what to do. They will all want to be top of the 'fiat' tree.

Also as Central Banker's they will know how gold is stored in Manhattan or not as the case may be.

This article is also good to keep in mind especially as the CB's are liars...

http://cynicuseconomicus.blogspot.com/2009...ting-money.html

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

This is also a soothing read...

http://www.economist.com/finance/displayst...96&fsrc=rss

I hate these articles. It means the GEI view is becoming mainstream. I'm much more interested in what the mavericks are thinking.

btw if you are a gold bug, do you think its a good idea seeking out (and posting) articles and information that reinforce your view?

btw if you are a gold bug, do you think its a good idea seeking out (and posting) articles and information that reinforce your view?

I know what you mean. An opposing view is healthy.

If you're surrounded by people agreeing with you and telling you how right you are, it can be damaging.

I mean, look at Robbie Williams!

I hate these articles. It means the GEI view is becoming mainstream. I'm much more interested in what the mavericks are thinking.

Sure as the current and near term shake-out will get rid of the weak hands and in the mid term it helps to ramp up the price :lol:

I look at that and replace the word "Gold" with "Tech Stocks". I know the fundamentals are different but that page makes me even more sure of a pullback.

I would say this is a strong indicator of the media interest phase. I have met one person in RL who has invested in gold. How many have you met?

For most of the people I talk to or work with, gold simply isn't on their radar yet.

None. I've never heard anyone mention it.

Where I work, most people think that buying gold is some sort of joke - even if you show them the Kitko 10 year Gold Chart they just laugh.

I think that most are waiting for a resumption of the long term property bull which will start any second now. A few are chuffed because they are benefitting from the current low interest rates on their mortgages.

I don't think that anyone believes that there is a possibility of serious wealth destroying trends in the coming years. Suggestions of hyperinflation or long term depression or peak oil are put down to 'dooming and glooming'.

We also have a stakeholder pension plan. I don't know of anyone, except for me, who has selected their funds. Everyone has just opted for the default 'lifestyle plan'.

The main topics of interest are things like 'celebrity media stuff'; 'Saturday evening singing contests on the TV'; football; holidays; luxury or sports cars; and tabloid newspaper rubbish.

If people like these start to buy gold, I will be convinced that we are in the final phase.