I believe 'TheGoldThread@GEI' is now one year old......

As Quantitative Easing panic grips HPC, its pretty clear that banning gold discussion at HPC was a bad idea. Collectively, we had much to say*

* - although lets not get complacent, lots of challenges and concerns still in the year ahead

Let them burn.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

To the more learned among us- I need advise/views

What's the consensus with regards to this leg down?

Am already holding pm's but would like to load up.

From what I can gather au should correct down to $850 ,some say to low $800's by mid year.However with qe beginning now might the low be restricted to just above the rising ma's ie. between here and $870's?

Any views appreciated

:lol:

If it's any measure of the ppular sentiment, the hyperinflationary penny might be just starting to drop. I wish someone in the know over on HPC would explain fractional reserve implications of the £75Bn though...

There's really no point. They just don't get it. I think everyone who understands has already made a purchase.

I believe 'TheGoldThread@GEI' is now one year old......

As Quantitative Easing panic grips HPC, its pretty clear that banning gold discussion at HPC was a bad idea. Collectively, we had much to say*

* - although lets not get complacent, lots of challenges and concerns still in the year ahead

yes, I have been having some fun over at hpc the last few days on this topic, just discussing how it all panned out. ;)

I am amazed at posters that have the same or more posting years as myself but still can't see what's going on. :blink:

ALL - how's Dave's charting going ? are we gold-up or gold-down forecasting today. I haven't looked since yesterday you see......

There's really no point. They just don't get it. I think everyone who understands has already made a purchase.

Interesting sentiment: tallys a little with Bubb's statement in the call this morning that there are no buyers left in Gold. It might be time now to sit it out and wait for the panic buying of gold to start. Maybe 18months from now, we will see that panic.

From what I can gather au should correct down to $850 ,some say to low $800's by mid year.However with qe beginning now might the low be restricted to just above the rising ma's ie. between here and $870's?

Any views appreciated

I wouldn't consider myself more learned... on the shoulders of giants and all that.

The only advice I could give is it depends on how much gold you already have. If you do not have a decent portion of your worth in gold then you have to ask yourself whether you can afford not to buy now. If you already own a decent amount then perhaps you can afford to wait for a price which suits you.

Any views appreciated

Sorry, Im not one of "The more learned among us". Im just a fool. No really, I am. But this is what I think..........zzzzz opps......

My veiw is that since the peak in march 2008 of $1030, gold consolidated back to $700. It is now moving back upwards. It may go higher to $1200 before falling back in the summer to $950. Whenever you buy, you might be down for a while. But long term golds going up big time. Look at the five year gold chart in GBP and ask yourself "Is that up or down?" Is Britain really best placed to weather this crisis? Is the situation getting worse or better in the rest of the world? Are gold sales increasing or decreasing?

Now dont listen to me.

Any views appreciated

As I said, the bottom is in.

This is fact, not a view, and is all you need to know.

All else is spin and market manipulation.

PS: TA in gold is the best way to the poorhouse.

Gold suddenly jumped up as you spoke cg!

I usually have a cast iron rule that I follow. It is "Don't let others do your thinking for you". It has served me well in the past, but I have made an exception for you cgnao.

Thanks.

Glad you agree. I loaded up again yesterday afternoon. ;)

They should start with the COMEX and the Bullion banks.

UPDATE 2-Regulators need better powers on commodities -IOSCO

05 Mar 2009 - 17:42

(Recasts, adds detail)

By Pratima Desai

LONDON, March 5 (Reuters) - Regulators need to ensure they have the information they need to detect manipulation in commodity markets and the powers to deal with it, the body grouping the world's securities regulators said on Thursday.

The International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) said regulators needed to be better informed, sophisticated in their understanding and powerful in enforcement when dealing with commodities derivatives.

"Regulators should take affirmative steps to request the necessary powers to enforce against attempted manipulation," IOSCO said in a release.

Regulators of commodity futures markets should seek to improve the availability and quality of their information on commodity markets, IOSCO said.

That would help them reduce market uncertainty and understand the fundamentals driving the market, it said.

"Efforts could include encouraging data providers to provide a greater level of detail to data that are already published."

Greater knowledge will help financial regulators to understand the role of speculative and commercial activity in commodity futures markets, IOSCO said.

"(Better information would also) detect, deter and prosecute manipulation and other trading abuses involving commodity futures, and related commodity markets," IOSCO said.

Recommendations by a task force set up by IOSCO include market surveillance, which should take account of a trader's related financial and underlying commodity positions.

CLEAR THREAT

"Manipulation of market prices is a clear threat to the integrity of the marketplace and to the fundamental purposes of futures markets -- risk management and price discovery," IOSCO said.

"One of the features of commodity futures markets is the difficulty in proving that manipulation has had or is likely to have a direct effect on market movement."

The task force identifies factors that inhibit the ability of regulators to access relevant information.

"The quality of the price which the futures market discovers reflects the ... the market's understanding of the available underlying data, and the quality of that data," IOSCO said.

"If data is inadequate or of poor quality it is not possible for futures market regulators and other relevant authorities to determine accurately whether or not certain activity or price movements are unusual."

IOSCO is an international policy forum for securities regulators. The task force on commodity futures markets is co-chaired by the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and Britain's Financial Services Authority (FSA).

The task force was formed after the commodities price surge last year and an increase in volatility.

This year there has been a drive across the financial markets for tightening of regulation as a result of the banking crisis and credit crunch, which has pushed the world into recession.

Thank you-RH ,Az and Cg

RH -50% of long term savings are in pm and I would like to increase to 80% and keep the rest in mining stocks

Az-when you put it that way there is only one way to go.

Cg- I'm not trying to do ta ,I'm just trying to get and hold with the most bang for my buck.I hold your comments with high regard ,as you have been the most consistent poster ever since my HPC lurking days of 2006 however I just wish I could see where your strongly held conviction comes from.I suppose what i'm asking is why do you believe that the idiots in charge will definitely fail?

It's hard keeping your kids inheritance safe in these times and anything which helps makes the decisions is gladly received.

I was really hoping for more discount at the sales............and for them to have lasted a little longer. :mellow:

March 5 (Bloomberg) -- Gold futures rose, snapping an eight- session slump, as some investors purchased the precious metal as an alternative to stocks. Silver climbed.

European equities fell after rebounding from a 12-year low yesterday, and U.S. stocks headed for the fourth straight weekly decline. Gold dropped 9.5 percent in the previous eight sessions, the longest slump since September. On Feb. 20, the metal topped $1,000 an ounce for the first time in 11 months.

“As equities continue to liquidate, we can see safe-haven buying in gold,” said Tom Pawlicki, an analyst at MF Global Ltd. in Chicago. “Yesterday’s rally in stocks doesn’t have much staying power.”

Gold futures for April delivery rose $21.20, or 2.3 percent, to $927.80 on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Silver futures for May delivery climbed 20.5 cents, or 1.6 percent, to $13.12 an ounce.

Gold has gained 4.9 percent this year, while silver jumped 16 percent.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...refer=australia