• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Gold suddenly jumped up as you spoke cg!

I usually have a cast iron rule that I follow. It is "Don't let others do your thinking for you". It has served me well in the past, but I have made an exception for you cgnao.

Thanks.

If you followed &/or read his cg's early stuff & recent stuff you can see why he has his followers. He used to post a lot more explanations behind his posts, but too many posters p1ssed him off imo. Now they are paying the price, quite literally.

cgnao you are one clever, connected guy. :)

Interesting sentiment: tallys a little with Bubb's statement in the call this morning that there are no buyers left in Gold. It might be time now to sit it out and wait for the panic buying of gold to start. Maybe 18months from now, we will see that panic.

Perhaps this year ?

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_08/willie030509.html

Interesting sentiment: tallys a little with Bubb's statement in the call this morning that there are no buyers left in Gold. ...

A majority has no gold whatsoever yet (except for their wedding bands). This might change.

EDIT: Also, what about the 4,000 tonnes the Chinese want to buy? Lots of buying power in gold out there.

A majority has no gold whatsoever yet (except for their wedding bands). This might change.

EDIT: Also, what about the 4,000 tonnes the Chinese want to buy? Lots of buying power in gold out there.

I didn't say I agreed, but it is interesting, isn't it? I think at some stage there will be a panic into gold, real gold, but i don't know when that will happen. Maybe in the next 18 months. Something like the FDIC running into trouble might be the trigger.

Bair Says Insurance Fund Could Be Insolvent This Year (Update1)

"Without these assessments, the deposit insurance fund could become insolvent this year,” Bair wrote in a March 2 letter to the industry. U.S. community banks plan to flood the FDIC with about 5,000 letters in protest of the fees, according to a trade group.

The FDIC last week approved a one-time “emergency” fee and other assessment increases on the industry to rebuild a fund to repay customers for deposits of as much as $250,000 when a bank fails. The fees, opposed by the industry, may generate $27 billion this year after the fund fell to $18.9 billion in the fourth quarter from $34.6 billion in the previous period, the FDIC said.

The fund, which lost $33.5 billion in 2008, was drained by 25 bank failures last year. Sixteen banks have failed so far this year, further straining the fund.

Bair rejected arguments that the agency should use government aid to rebuild the fund. The FDIC has authority to tap a $30 billion line of credit at the Treasury Department and legislation pending in Congress would boost the amount to $100 billion.

“Banks, not taxpayers, are expected to fund the system,” Bair said. Asking for taxpayer support “could paint all banks with the ‘bailout’ brush.”

If you followed &/or read his cg's early stuff & recent stuff you can see why he has his followers. He used to post a lot more explanations behind his posts, but too many posters p1ssed him off imo. Now they are paying the price, quite literally.

cgnao you are one clever, connected guy. :)

hmm maybe

or maybe he's just read a few history books

I'm in the mood for a bit of gold watching this friday afternoon.

Looks like the 'yanks' have just woken up to and realised what their constitution stipulates as money...

Meanwhile, after QE (aka debasement of Sterling) the £ is up 0.7%...?????wtf?????

Looks like the 'yanks' have just woken up to and realised what their constitution stipulates as money...

Meanwhile, after QE (aka debasement of Sterling) the £ is up 0.7%...?????wtf?????

I believe from old research I did, that gold has followed a seasonal pattern in 7 of the last 9 years.

With all this money creation, I'm increasingly of the view that 2009 may not be seasonal at all. All conventions are out of the window, it seems.

I believe from old research I did, that gold has followed a seasonal pattern in 7 of the last 9 years.

With all this money creation, I'm increasingly of the view that 2009 may not be seasonal at all. All conventions are out of the window, it seems.

Open season on banks? :rolleyes:

Shooting season on banks!

Stag shooting season (Scotland) 2009 Jul 1 - Oct 20

Banker Shooting season (Worldwide) 2009 Jan 1 - Dec 31

Wouldn't be surprised to also see a few bankers tarred and feathered before this is all over. :)

Doubt we will have any doldrums this year.... most probably very volatile. Hold onto your hat.

Any idea what it was worth at its peak?

Must have been up at 20/25 ish

It was about 40/1 in 2000 when the Dow was around 10,000 and gold was 250ish, I can't remember the exact figures. When the dow hit its nominal peak over 14,000 the ratio was 20/1, six months ago it was 15/1 and now we are 7/1.

There are some good charts around somewhere, I'll try to find them.

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/.shared/imag...ative_ratio.PNG

...actually no: its the dollar went down early in the day.

I think it will take a few days/weeks, but people will start to understand the QE makes each existing pound less valuable, and they'll start selling Sterling assets.

I therefore predict near parity with the dollar sometime this year, so long as the USD remains a safe haven and doesn't suffer its own downfall before that.

...actually no: its the dollar went down early in the day.

I think it will take a few days/weeks, but people will start to understand the QE makes each existing pound less valuable, and they'll start selling Sterling assets.

I therefore predict near parity with the dollar sometime this year, so long as the USD remains a safe haven and doesn't suffer its own downfall before that.

As i wrote that I realised that yesterday they only announced what they will do. I think it starts in 3 months time(or 1 month lasting for 3-dunno anymore!)...

Interesting sentiment: tallys a little with Bubb's statement in the call this morning that there are no buyers left in Gold. It might be time now to sit it out and wait for the panic buying of gold to start. Maybe 18months from now, we will see that panic.

Doesn't look to me as if there are no buyers left in gold. I get paid in Sterling and now convert whatever I have left over at the end of the month in to gold and silver regardless of the price. So chalk me up as a buyer! For the most part it looks to me like gold is now in strong hands that wont part with it at current prices.

And in any case why wait for the panic to buy!?

Surely the first rule of panic is to panic first?

Doesn't look to me as if there are no buyers left in gold. I get paid in Sterling and now convert whatever I have left over at the end of the month in to gold and silver regardless of the price. So chalk me up as a buyer! For the most part it looks to me like gold is now in strong hands that wont part with it at current prices.

And in any case why wait for the panic to buy!?

Surely the first rule of panic is to panic first?

Agreed; it's not my sentiment! :)

I bought last week; I have about as much faith in sterling to protect my little wealth as a chocolate fireguard.

EDIT: i think what i was trying to say was that it might be a technical traders viewpoint.

Agreed; it's not my sentiment! :)

I bought last week; I have about as much faith in sterling to protect my little wealth as a chocolate fireguard.

EDIT: i think what i was trying to say was that it might be a technical traders viewpoint.

Apols chris ct, hope my comment didnt come across as a dig at you.

Looks like we are both of the same opinion.

In this climate i just dont have the nerve to trade my gold.

I am firmly in the accumulate what you can every month camp here.

In 18 months time I hope to be in the position to be watching the panic buying safely in the knowledge I already have sufficient insurance.