• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

On a scale of 1 to 10....whats happening?

I think the PPT installed a new rollercoaster. I don't know whether to buy, sell, cry, run to mummy...

Fortunately I did some of that "buy the dips" stuff today. When the sales are on it's a shame not to.

Across the Curve

A daily bond market chronicle

TIPS

March 18th, 2009 3:43 pm

The breakeven spreads on 10 year and 30 year TIPS are exploding. That means they are predicting more inflation down the road. The breakeven spreads generally move glacially.

In both the 30 year sector and the 10 year sector they have moved about 11 basis points today.

That movement would be in line with the absolute cratering of the greenback as well as the huge move(upward) in price of gold.

Karl Denninger is not going to be a happy bunny!

Caution On Quantitative Easing (QE)

Be warned Ben....

The BOE executed their first "QE" operation today.

The "bid to cover" was an astonishing 7.35.

This means that for every bond purchased 7.35 were tendered, or made available by willing sellers.

Back in January I posted a Ticker in which I made clear what was likely to happen if Bernanke actually attempted to do (as opposed to threatening) QE:

Bernanke bluffed and the bond market called it. He cannot monetize several trillion in new issue plus the entirety of the 10 and 30 year bonds out there to stop a bond market sell-off. In addition, the market no longer believes him, as evidenced by today's price action. A serious bond-market sell-off will ramp the cost of all credit, including mortgages and commercial loans. If he tries to monetize the result will be current bondholders tendering into his buying, forcing him to essentially "consume" the entire float. That stunt will cause the dollar to implode and we wind up exactly like Iceland. Overnight. Ben knows this; ergo, he is screaming like a petulant child while the market laughs at him just like the market forced Paulson to do what he said he wouldn't with Fannie and Freddie. Bernanke had better shut the hell up before he precipitates a bond market dislocation; traders can and will try to force him to make good on the threat.

Ding. The BOE now has seen exactly what happens when you promise as a government to overpay for something - everyone hits your bid immediately!

This is a form of crack that the government cannot afford to loose into the market - as soon as the buying pressure is removed rates will start to rise again, forcing yet another purchase.

Ultimately The Fed winds up owning all of its own government's bonds, having destroyed the private capital market for sovereign debt (just as it has done for other securitized debt by threatening to overpay for those issues!)

The difference is that if this happens for sovereign debt then deficit spending becomes impossible on an instant basis; this would in turn force a nearly 75% contraction of government spending.

The outcome of this event would be the immediate destruction of Social Security, Medicare, half the military budget and half of all other government programs.

PS: Bernanke knows this, which is why it hasn't happened yet. Let's hope he continues to remember it, because the destruction of our government is very, very un-funny, and this would likely precipiate exactly that in a "vast and fast" form.

Please for the dumb among us ie. me ,could you explain this?

Bernanke 'threatens' to monetize the bonds and announced to do so today-why is this threatening to anyone? Is it because doing so will signal the end game of bond price collapse?

Lets see if I can make sense of this.

OK, most obvious, Gold & Silver are rising rapidly.

The Euro is rising against the US$.

The Euro is rising against the JPY.

The Euro is rising against the GBP.

So the Euro is rising.

The JPY is falling against: NZ$, EUR, but rising against: US$. Fairly stable against GBP.

The US$ is falling against JPY, EUR, GBP (and even NZ$).

So the US$ is falling.

So today, so far, GoldUS$ just went up 945/890 = 6%.

I guess that's what happens when you print lots of money.

Fed pumps $1.2tn into US economy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7951493.stm

The US Federal Reserve says it will buy almost $1.2 trillion (£843bn) worth of debt to help boost lending and promote economic recovery.

It said it would start buying long-term government debt and expand purchases of mortgage-related debt.

The size of the move surprised investors, causing the Dow Jones stock index to jump almost 200 points.

The Bank of England has already begun buying government debt to expand money supply - known as quantitative easing.

Lets see if I can make sense of this.

OK, most obvious, Gold & Silver are rising rapidly.

The Euro is rising against the US$.

The Euro is rising against the JPY.

The Euro is rising against the GBP.

So the Euro is rising.

The JPY is falling against: NZ$, EUR, but rising against: US$. Fairly stable against GBP.

The US$ is falling against JPY, EUR, GBP (and even NZ$).

So the US$ is falling.

So today, so far, GoldUS$ just went up 945/890 = 6%.

What a crazy day. I still haven't got used to this volatility. Maybe never will. ;)

I'm slightly concerned I've been a bit hasty on the trigger. I also bought ABX and PAAS on the news. Up nicely on them. And SLV a little later - that was slower to take off.

It wouldn't surprise me to see some organized selling by central banks to try and suppress things. I think there must have been some of this going in this announcement.

Will any of this limitless printing be used to suppress gold?

That is what is always nagging at the back of my mind, I have never disputed the role gold should play and bought into that a while ago (although not earlier enough to accumulate at the lows).

From http://www.jsmineset.com/

Hourly Action In Gold As Of 3PM CDT From Trader Dan

Posted: Mar 18 2009 By: Dan Norcini Post Edited: March 18, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Filed under: Trader Dan Norcini

Dear Friends,

The events that have transpired since the writing of my midday commentary are so stupendous that I felt a few comments were in order.

The news that the Fed would be buying $300 billion of long-dated Treasuries sent the bond market into what can only be called a frenzy. In all the years I have been trading, I have never seen anything quite like it. We are talking about a move that carried from 123^25 to 132^18. The drop in yield was nothing short of breathtaking. The effect on the yield curve was to flatten it considerably. If the idea was to give the banks some ability to borrow short and lend long and profit from the recently steepening curve, that just went up in smoke but apparently the thinking is that the Fed can artificially force down long term interest rates and this will have a beneficial effect on the comatose housing market. Hey you morons – why not just hand out money directly to every taxpaying citizen in the country? After all, you can just print more of it whenever we need it… God help us all…

The effect on both the Dollar and the gold price was instantaneous. The Dollar collapsed as well it should have while gold shot up nearly $60 of its worst levels of the session.

Folks – it is my sincere conviction that this current administration is absolutely CLUELESS in how to solve this problem and are flailing in the wind. They are throwing anything that they can think of at a wall and hoping that something will stick. These theoreticians and academics, none of whom can probably even balance their own damn checkbooks, are now attempting to run the monetary system. In the process they have just destroyed our Dollar and make no mistake about this – they are now monetizing debt – which is another way of saying they are printing money out of thin air. Is it any wonder that the Dollar cratered and gold shot up so sharply?

As a long term friend of gold I am of course pleased to see gold moving higher but as an American citizen who loves this nation, I am both sickened and angered at the amateur hour that has taken over in Washington D.C. While the Fed burns down the Dollar, the same dipsticks who helped create this mess are worried about $165 million in bonuses when they are spending over $3 trillion in debt that my children will be saddled with. And to see the chief ringleaders, Barney Frank and Chris Dodd, feigning outrage and attempting to hop on the populist bandwagon to distract attention away from the gargantuan sum of indebtedness that they have just chained to the next generation makes my blood boil.

Wake up America – these damn fools are destroying what is left of our Constitutional republic.

Obviously the technical action in gold completely erases that which transpired before the Fed announcement. Now we have to see if gold can sustain a footing above the $930 level. If it can, and it must if it is going to have a chance at trending higher, then it has a very good shot at $960. That level is what will need to be taken out in order to challenge $1000.

The mining shares as evidenced by the HUI and the XAU both launched technical breakouts smashing above the 40, 50 and 10 day moving averages and taking out horizontal resistance levels in the process. The HUI needs to take out 320-323 to set up a trending move.

Please see the gold chart below for the levels…

clip-image00126.jpg