• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Hi All,

Just been on holiday and came back to see gold thread no longer on HPC main forum. After searching, found it in the metals forum and then catching up found it had moved to here. As a regular reader but rare poster, I have now transferred over here. If it wasn't for this Gold thread, I would be in a very much poorer position, and missed out in investing my House Moving Fund. Thank you for continuing to debate this topic and I look forward to reading your comments.

Kingfisher.

Welcome Kingfisher, curious to know how you found us, I thought the Mods had blocked all reference to this site?

Anyway, enjoy the ride. :(

By the way, this morning, one work colleague told me that my view on gold might be right. And he was impressed by how much it had been moving up. Another one asked me how one generally buys gold.

This does not happen every day (this kind of response by colleagues). The public is getting more and more aware of what's going on.

Hardly surprising those you've been talking to are a little more aware! :(

Just to note that a new record price was not reached today in either EUR, JPY, CHF or even GBP (at least on the BV charts).

Mania? What mania? :(

That's a very important point.... with the USD falling in value versus other currencies, Gold's USD price has to rise - otherwise there'd be a margin for currency arbitrage.

Looking at the price in CHF I suspect there would be very little "mania"... unfortunately I can't find a decent XAU/GBP chart. Anyone have anything better than this?...

tny_au_en_sfoz_2.gif

Fed Pledges to Supply Cash

Fed Endorses Rescue Effort for Bear Stearns and Pledges to Supply Cash to Financial System

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Federal Reserve invoked a rarely used Depression-era procedure Friday to bolster troubled Bear Stearns Cos. and said it will provide even more help to combat a serious credit crisis.

The action won praise from the administration, with President Bush saying that Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke was "doing a good job under tough circumstances."

The Fed announcement came in a brief two-sentence statement that was issued as stocks were plunging on Wall Street over worries that a plan to ease a liquidity crisis at Bear Stearns Cos. might not work.

"The Federal Reserve is monitoring market developments closely and will continue to provide liquidity as necessary to promote the orderly functioning of the financial system," the board said. It said members had voted unanimously to approve the arrangement, announced by JP Morgan Chase and Bear Stearns earlier.

CONTINUE >>>

Thank heavens I own gold and silver is all I can say to that, oh and laugh until my sides split open...

Dr B, do you believe that the central banks will collaborate to prop up the dollar ? If so, wouldn't that be similar to what the BoE did with the pound before we were tossed out of the ERM ? The point I'm getting at is would one just short the dollar in order to make a nice profit out of it or would the combined purchasing power of the Fed, the ECB, BoE and BoJ be too much for the market to go toe-to-toe with ?

Looking at the price in CHF I suspect there would be very little "mania"... unfortunately I can't find a decent XAU/GBP chart. Anyone have anything better than this?...
Presumably you know the BV charts where you can switch between USD, GBP, EUR, JPY, AUD, CAD and CHF easily.

http://www.bullionvault.com/gold-price-chart.do

I like to compare the price in different currencies, as you can set the time period, eyeball the graph, and then switch currencies to get a swift eyeballed comparison.

I don't know where their data feed comes from. JPY, AUD, CAD and CHF cannot be from their internal markets as those currencies are not used internally. I suspect the USD, EUR and GBP chart prices are not internal either. I guess the source is mentioned in their documentation somewhere.

Presumably you know the BV charts where you can switch between USD, GBP, EUR, JPY, AUD, CAD and CHF easily.

Thanks Wren, I wasn't aware, no. <hangs head in shame> ... that's a great charting tool.

Looking at the 1month CHF chart really says "nothing to see here" on the current movements. It doesn't make me feel uneasy at all.

post-1599-1205519110_thumb.png

Edited to say: I note if you google "goldfinger gold thread" you now hit the Silver thread on this board. More work is clearly required to make THIS thread the number one gold hit for migrants from HPC.

http://www.bullionvault.com/gold-price-chart.do

I like to compare the price in different currencies, as you can set the time period, eyeball the graph, and then switch currencies to get a swift eyeballed comparison.

I don't know where their data feed comes from. JPY, AUD, CAD and CHF cannot be from their internal markets as those currencies are not used internally. I suspect the USD, EUR and GBP chart prices are not internal either. I guess the source is mentioned in their documentation somewhere.

Yes I agree BV charts are very good. It would be nice to have some silver charts like them.

I just posted this over at hpc.

If anyone wants to follow the commentators on gold, silver, curencies, DOW, S&P etc. one place where a bunch of new articles from various commentators appears each day is this:

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials.html

Other places with daily articles (some of these articles appear in multiple sites):

http://www.321gold.com/

http://commentary.goldseek.com/

It's true to say that most of these commentators are in the business (some plug payed-for newsletters for traders and investors) but the commentaries are often good, covering things from very short term to long term and macroeconomic issues.

A good gold and silver forum:

http://goldismoney.info/forums/index.php

If your interested in alternative energy, commodities, bullion and stuff, DrBubb also keeps a small, but nice BB:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?act=idx

Those who are new to an area should do extensive reading and try to consult different points of view including suitably experienced financial advisors before making any rash decisions.

wren

I mentioned this site also which seems reasonable. I hope it doesn't get deleted.

I just posted this over at hpc.

I mentioned this site also which seems reasonable. I hope it doesn't get deleted.

They just deleted the link to DrBubb's site :(

but left the rest of the post.

So I can link to other forums and general bullion sites but not to here. You can see that the post was for general info as some people are asking questions and really need to spend time getting more background and this site is one worth mentioning along with the others.

I did not make that post for the purpose of linking this site.

:D:angry: :angry:

They just deleted the link to DrBubb's site :(

but left the rest of the post.

Now they've decided to delete the whole post! :D:angry: :angry:

Bunch of clowns. Wouldn't surprise me if they are monitoring this thread hourly.

I leave them to their path:

wankingpath.jpg

Have you heard of this place DrBubb? :D :D

(Not in reference to DrBubb, of course.)

Now they've decided to delete the whole post! :(:D:angry:

Bunch of clowns. Wouldn't surprise me if they are monitoring this thread hourly.

I leave them to their path:

wankingpath.jpg

Have you heard of this place DrBubb? :angry::D

(Not in reference to DrBubb, of course.)

Believe it or not, I've stood in front of that sign on many occasions throughout my life...

It's in the centre of a place called Sai Kung in the New Territories, HK...

banana.gifbanana.gif And for those of us down under: banana11.gifbanana11.gif

Morning all

Morning, it's been a great day. :(

This deserves a fanfare. Here's the New Zealand Army Band playing in Edinburgh (great performers and very humorous):

(I only found this the other week, great fun.)