Yes, to make a profit in gold ounces of course.

Yes, I went on a bit of a fishing trip at the last spike [at 950]. I have reasons to think pog will go lower here... could be wrong and if so... will buy back in at around 900 with no loss. The market is not as rational as we are. Sure, we see terrible fundamentals and they will eventually play out. In the meantime, nervous nellie investors looking for inflation hedges and worried that they might miss out on a resurgence and recovery in the DOW will pile in. In the short term this would push gold down as money moves into stocks and commodities. This is the time to buy...GOLD [i would add here that the currency in which you keep your powder dry is of significance].

I think unemployment and a contracting economy will definitely bite at some time and bring the latest wave of optimism to an end. These deflationary forces will bring about new lows in the DOW along with new highs in gold as money moves back to it as a safe haven and currency. My hope is to buy low so that I can ride the next spike up and go fishing again.

Out of interest what is your target on the USDX to swap back? If I was employing that strategy I think I would change back at around 86-88. The UDSX chart looks also like a head & shoulders pattern to me.

I have just been playing the gold / silver ratio as my way of increasing my ounces :)

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Out of interest what is your target on the USDX to swap back? If I was employing that strategy I think I would change back at around 86-88. The UDSX chart looks also like a head & shoulders pattern to me.

I have just been playing the gold / silver ratio as my way of increasing my ounces :)

No fixed target. I might not be swapping back for a few months and suspect the USDX could be a bit higher by then especially if we see another round of forced liquidations in assets. I have a large core position in bullion so feel I can "afford" to wait for an excellent price. My purchasing fund is in US dollars which I have always thought to be the currency to swap in and out of. I notice the US dollar has been strengthening of late so do not feel nervous being in this currency.... for now. I am also thinking of buying Canadian dollars, which look cheap at the moment, when next funding goldmoney.

As far as swapping goes, I would not be doing it if I did not envisage huge volatility. Also, I am not much interested in swing trading but just restricting myself to "fishing"; selling a portion at the peak and waiting for the valley.

Just found a couple of interesting interviews with Paul Tustain, the founder and MD of BV.

The articles are from February 2008, so not new but I'd like to quote part of the second article.

Part 1:

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/52961

Part 2:

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/52969

And a quote from part 2:

The last bolded bit confirms to me that part of Tustain's idea behind BV is make gold ownership easier for small investors.

I think it was azazel who has said a couple of times in the last few months that BV is planning to offer silver also. Any news about this?

If they are serious they should get on and do it soon.

Hope everyones having a nice holiday and that the weather is great. It is in Devon!

I have spoken with Paul Tustain on various occasions and he personally told me that BV was investigating offering silver VAT free. It was some time ago now, perhaps 6 months. I was very impressed with him. He answers the phones along with the other staff and he has taken the time to talk with me for up to an hour. He comes over as a genuine sort of guy with no BS. He didnt encourage me to use BV but just made the case for gold and let me make my own mind up. I know you can never be 100% certain, but gold is honest money and Paul Tustain seems an honest family guy trying to make honest money available to the ordinary guy in the street.

Credit where credit is due....

Hope everyones having a nice holiday and that the weather is great. It is in Devon!

I have spoken with Paul Tustain on various occasions and he personally told me that BV was investigating offering silver VAT free. It was some time ago now, perhaps 6 months. I was very impressed with him. He answers the phones along with the other staff and he has taken the time to talk with me for up to an hour. He comes over as a genuine sort of guy with no BS. He didnt encourage me to use BV but just made the case for gold and let me make my own mind up. I know you can never be 100% certain, but gold is honest money and Paul Tustain seems an honest family guy trying to make honest money available to the ordinary guy in the street.

Credit where credit is due....

first post...

can you explain how they intend to offer silver VAT free? I've been keen to invest in silver (already hold gold in physical bullion) but it has seemed less attractive in the UK as opposed to other countries (such as Australia) due to the 15% VAT plus the additional costs of a bullion dealer. Would potentially look at BV if it was VAT free for silver.

first post...

can you explain how they intend to offer silver VAT free? I've been keen to invest in silver (already hold gold in physical bullion) but it has seemed less attractive in the UK as opposed to other countries (such as Australia) due to the 15% VAT plus the additional costs of a bullion dealer. Would potentially look at BV if it was VAT free for silver.

You can buy allocated silver at goldmoney.com free of VAT. You only have to pay VAT if you take delivery of the metal.

I would be interested in silver at BV if it were cheaper than or at least no more expensive than at GoldMoney.

worth a read

The Yellow Brick Road

While President Obama’s fiscal stimulus will direct some funds to the rebuilding of America’s

aging infrastructure, unfortunately none will go to fixing the real cause of the problem, to wit

rebuilding the yellow brick road, i.e. reinstating the gold standard, whose dismantling is directly

responsible for the present crisis.

Because the power and wealth of private bankers and public government derives from the ability

to issue credit and spend money that does not, in fact, exist, we cannot expect a solution to be

implemented by those benefiting from the present situation.

Power and money are not easily come by and neither bankers nor politicians will willingly

relinquish the source of their fraudulent and considerable power, no matter how destructive the

consequences are to others.

This is why the rising price of gold is opposed by central banks. Governments and central banks

are colluding to extend the life span of their faltering institutions by furthering the illusion that

government IOUs, i.e. paper money, printed in exponentially increasing numbers are, in fact,

valuable like gold and silver.

The advantage offered to those invested in paper assets, e.g. cash, stocks, bonds, etc., is the

possibility of paper returns in paper based markets. When such returns prove increasingly

illusory as markets collapse, the flight from paper money will begin and the demand for gold and

silver will explode

This is what governments and bankers fear. Unfortunately for them and fortunately for us, the

efforts of bankers and politicians to extend their own power at the expense of others will soon

end. Soon, like the rest of us, they will be only concerned with saving themselves.

THE END OF AN ERA

We are in an unprecedented situation in unprecedented times. The process of monetary

debasement has now entered the realm of the unimaginable as a result of President Obama’s

historic multi-trillion dollar fiscal stimulus, a stimulus requiring the printing of so much money

it will make obvious the fact that fiat money has no value at all.

Needed change will come, but not until an economic collapse has destroyed the system by which

government and bankers prey on society. Today, government leadership is an oxymoron

designed to perpetuate the present system under the guise of change or any other buzzword that

will give those in power continued access to the government trough

This era, as with all such eras, according to Professor David Hackett Fisher (The Great Wave:

Price Revolutions and the Rhythm of History, 2000, Oxford University Press), will end in

economic collapse; and, out of that collapse, another era will rise.

Attachment to the past in such times is reflexive and dangerous; and, attachment to the

foundation of that era, i.e. paper money and credit, is the most dangerous of all. The old is being

swept away and all those attached to its foundation will be swept away as well.

GOLD’S EVENTUAL ASCENT

Whereas communism mistakenly believed the state could create sustainable economic

prosperity, capitalism made the mistake of believing credit-based paper money could do the

same. These are two of the great lessons of this age.

Between the two ideologies, capitalism was closer to the truth, for human endeavor and human

desire are the basis of economic prosperity and capitalism fueled and indebted both in order to

profit. For three hundred years, the banker’s gambit worked. It does no longer.

Only after debt-based capital markets have collapsed and paper currencies are worthless will

another more equitable and sustainable model emerge. Then, it will not be a choice between

central bank credit-based paper money and gold and silver. In the end, only gold and silver will

be left.

We are in the end days of paper’s fraudulent reign. A behemoth fed by credit but now fettered by

debt, its days are numbered. But those who created the beast will not give up easily. They will be

forced to do so.

In the end, the markets will have their way; and, instead of government plunge protection teams

and central banks colluding with investment banks manipulating markets higher and gold and

silver lower, the towering and faltering edifice of debt will collapse on all who invested in paper

assets. In the dust of that collapse, gold and silver will triumph.

Then and at long last, Dorothy in her silver slippers will follow the yellow brick road back home

to an eventually more peaceful, free and prosperous world.

An interesting, recent article by Adam Brochert about the gold/oil ratio:

This 1930s data yields a gold-to-oil ratio spike to roughly 55 in 1932 and a final high in this ratio of 82 in May, 1933. So, while the recent ratio spike may seem like a multi-year top to those who use charts from the past 40 years, I believe we are just getting started and the recent spike is the end of the third inning in a nine-inning game.

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_08/brochert041209.html

You can buy allocated silver at goldmoney.com free of VAT. You only have to pay VAT if you take delivery of the metal.

I would be interested in silver at BV if it were cheaper than or at least no more expensive than at GoldMoney.

BV is a UK registered company. Of course that means nothing bad about the compant itself, but best to know this.

worth a read

The Yellow Brick Road

An excellent article. Thanks for posting.

Makes me think that the stronger than expected Goldman Sachs quarterly earnings (http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009/04/14/54650/goldman-push-to-repay-10bn/) may be due to access to a 'fiat' money machine.

The powers that be must think we are all stupid. All they are doing is defering the inevietable, and as per the pdf article, you can bet that Goldman Sachs' bankers will save themselves first. Maybe this paying it all back quickly play will be good for gold/silver afterall?

Dow slips, and gold up a bit.... ho hum. Singapore, following the Swiss, devalue a little.

For those doubting the imminent Weimer-like destruction of our currency, consider an alternative. A see-sawing devaluation of currencies commences as the platitudes of G20 wear off and real market forces exert themselves on the politicians. The price of commodities/real stuff as priced in depreciating currencies continues to grind upwards only slowly due to the dead weight of demand destruction. Speculators chase paper gains and their own tails. Meanwhile gold and silver rise in line with commodities but then at a slightly faster pace as they become further monetized with the fear premium taken up by the monetary premium... all of which takes two or three years to unfold with massive volatile swings in the interim as market sentiment goes from inflation to deflation and then back again.

It's starting to look over sold to me so I transferred some money in to BV last night. Any thoughts how low we might go? Is £580/t oz realistic this week?

You are only waiting for a mere 20 pound drop? Harden up. :lol:

But seriously, it could go a bit lower, or it could build a base here and develop into a reverse head and shoulders pattern as some have suggested. imo though at some point, perhaps at a later date, it is sure to go on a major dip. It would be good to have some serious powder dry to take advantage. Depends of course how much of your liquid worth is already in gold.

I'm expecting the PM market to turn to the upside in the next 10 days, so I want to be ready for it.

Let's just say I'm already balls deep, but have recently sold some collectibles that appreciated more than expected, so I'm looking for a new home for this cash. Pakistan/Talibanistan has according to expert analysis, only a few months before it collapses, this will surely cause the pog to rise. IMO we may see £570/t oz before this correction is finished, but I think that will be about the worst of it.

You are only waiting for a mere 20 pound drop? Harden up. :lol:

But seriously, it could go a bit lower, or it could build a base here and develop into a reverse head and shoulders pattern as some have suggested. imo though at some point, perhaps at a later date, it is sure to go on a major dip. It would be good to have some serious powder dry to take advantage. Depends of course how much of your liquid worth is already in gold.

I'm expecting the PM market to turn to the upside in the next 10 days, so I want to be ready for it.

Let's just say I'm already balls deep, but have recently sold some collectibles that appreciated more than expected, so I'm looking for a new home for this cash. Pakistan/Talibanistan has according to expert analysis, only a few months before it collapses, this will surely cause the pog to rise. IMO we may see £570/t oz before this correction is finished, but I think that will be about the worst of it.

tttttttttttttddddddddday.gif

Odd pattern this one. Looks like a base of sorts is being built for now due no doubt to inflationary expectations [QE]. I just wonder if when the Dow rally runs out of steam in a month or so we could see new lows and a dash out of assets back to cash.

I am thinking of maybe putting monthly income into gold here while keeping a good stash dry for the deflationary drop which I think there is a good chance of eventuating. Like you, am in deepish.... so feel no rush to buy now. I am looking to keep 50% in metal and 50% in a variety of paper. Buying weakness in currencies with the aim of accumulating metal.

I think this summer's going to be very interesting...

Odd pattern this one. Looks like a base of sorts is being built for now due no doubt to inflationary expectations [QE]. I just wonder if when the Dow rally runs out of steam in a month or so we could see new lows and a dash out of assets back to cash.

I am thinking of maybe putting monthly income into gold here while keeping a good stash dry for the deflationary drop which I think there is a good chance of eventuating. Like you, am in deepish.... so feel no rush to buy now. I am looking to keep 50% in metal and 50% in a variety of paper. Buying weakness in currencies with the aim of accumulating metal.

Will start to average into silver at goldmoney shortly. Decided to buy silver for the following reasons:

1] The ratio with gold is favourable at around 70:1.

2] Seems to me silver should pick up a bit before gold does due to the money going into commodities given inflation expectations.

3] Long term goal to acquire 100 odd ounces of gold.

4] 200 mda has been dragged down with silver. Still high with gold.

ag0365lf_ma.gif

sweet.gif

Will start to average into silver at goldmoney shortly. Decided to buy silver for the following reasons:

1] The ratio with gold is favourable at around 70:1.

2] Seems to me silver should pick up a bit before gold does due to the money going into commodities given inflation expectations.

3] Long term goal to acquire 100 odd ounces of gold.

4] 200 mda has been dragged down with silver. Still high with gold.

ag0365lf_ma.gif

sweet.gif

Gold Silver ratio appears to be at support at 200 MA