In a hyperinflationary catastrophe boom anything real/tangible could become an object of speculation, e.g. heavy farming machinery or portaloos. ANYTHING will be better than cash, but the precious metals will rule.

only if those portaloos are good for flushing currency

anyway im ordering some chickens

eggs are the new currency

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

For buying gold, none IMO. The only reason I have both is because bullionvault doesn't allow you to trade silver, otherwise I would be happier with bullionvault. The registration process is a supreme pain with GM, the online process failed twice for me and then it took them weeks to finally setup the account once all the docs had been sent in. I don't have any complaints about BV at all, their support is also very good.

Just one tip, use a different username than you use here. Audit information by BV username/nickname is available for all to see.

http://live.bullionvault.com/audit/current/audit_pageG.html

Bullion Vault seems a lot cheaper for gold than Goldmoney. What advantage does Gold Money offer?

Just one tip, use a different username than you use here. Audit information by BV username/nickname is available for all to see.

Note that the publically visible "nickname" is different from the username that you use to log into your account. The nickname is assigned automatically by the system, although you can probably change it.

Bullion Vault will charge commission on BUY and SELL. Goldmoney only charge on BUY.

Overall, it works out about the same.

Yes. I like the fact that with GM I can sell for spot at any time. The charges are all paid up front in the buy purchase.

There was a discussion about handling accusations of money laundering earlier on this thread. There is an argument that a certain desperate politician loosing control of his economy (GB by name and country) might start to target GM and BV in money laundering investigations. GB I understand did use laws designed for anti-terrorism to freeze assets of icelandic banks, which makes me nervous as to how he might use any such power in the future. Anyone know which of the two - BV or GM - is furthest from GB's control?

BV's head office is in London and GM's head office is in Jersey (Channel Isles) which is a Crown dependency. For GM, legislation lies with their own assemblies and is not under the strict governance that BV would find itself under.

Yes. I like the fact that with GM I can sell for spot at any time. The charges are all paid up front in the buy purchase.

There was a discussion about handling accusations of money laundering earlier on this thread. There is an argument that a certain desperate politician loosing control of his economy (GB by name and country) might start to target GM and BV in money laundering investigations. GB I understand did use laws designed for anti-terrorism to freeze assets of icelandic banks, which makes me nervous as to how he might use any such power in the future. Anyone know which of the two - BV or GM - is furthest from GB's control?

Well spotted, I didn't realise you could change it, however when they say they generate a unique public nickname for you, in my case at least it is my username.

Note that the publically visible "nickname" is different from the username that you use to log into your account. The nickname is assigned automatically by the system, although you can probably change it.

Well spotted, I didn't realise you could change it, however when they say they generate a unique public nickname for you, in my case at least it is my username.

Strange. When I checked my public nickname, it was something different from my username and had been selected already without my knowing.

Anyone know which of the two - BV or GM - is furthest from GB's control?

My metal is in Zurich. I doubt whether VIAMAT in Zurich would let GB steal it from me.

I suppose Jersey is more independent than London.

Also I don't live in the UK.

I don’t believe British accounts can be frozen in BV & GM under the money laundering rules because all the money comes from a British bank that has already complied with all the money laundering rules.

Though I suppose it is possible to freeze the whole of GM & BV while HMG investigate foreign accounts.

HMG will be forcing through new rules to make Jersey G20 tax compliant. It is no safer than London

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/ap...-to-end-secrecy

British overseas tax havens were today put under renewed pressure by Gordon Brown to end their culture of secrecy within six months or face sanctions.

The prime minister has also written to the crown dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man telling them that he expects rapid further progress to end tax and banking secrecy.

For buying gold, none IMO. The only reason I have both is because bullionvault doesn't allow you to trade silver, otherwise I would be happier with bullionvault. The registration process is a supreme pain with GM, the online process failed twice for me and then it took them weeks to finally setup the account once all the docs had been sent in. I don't have any complaints about BV at all, their support is also very good.

http://live.bullionvault.com/audit/current/audit_pageG.html

My username does not appear in the audit.... What do you think? Have you checked to see if you appear in the audit?

It's not your username that appears in the audit, it's the name they gave you. Mine is imagesnnnnn. Look on your profile and it'll tell you what you're listed as. You can change it but I wouldn't recommend making it your username - why give away 1/3rd of your login dx publicly?

It seems Goldfinger (on bullionvault) does not have much gold just 0.03kg, but lots of euros!

:lol: I am "G0ldfinger" on here, "gold-finger" on GIM, and I was "Goldfinger" on HPC (a long, long time ago), and that's it.

I wish I had lots of Euros, because then I could buy lots of Pd, Ag and Au!

Yes my username/public nick name appears in the audit, but it doesn't matter, because only I know my nickname. If I was concerned I'd change it.

My username does not appear in the audit.... What do you think? Have you checked to see if you appear in the audit?

:lol: I am "G0ldfinger" on here, "gold-finger" on GIM, and I was "Goldfinger" on HPC (a long, long time ago), and that's it.

I wish I had lots of Euros, because then I could buy lots of Pd, Ag and Au!

I was sure it wasn't you!

Shame for the bullion vault goldfinger that he has not listened to the real goldfinger. Your advice is much appreciated.

about to enter parabolic growth?

http://www.kitco.com/ind/nichols/apr212009.html

Originally my plan was to go back and take a much more detailed look at the most famous "bubbles" in financial history to look for similarities to the current pattern in gold. In my experience most market fractal patterns are similar -- particularly parabolic growth patterns -- so I assumed I would indeed find some tendencies in past bubbles that I could then apply to the current growth pattern in gold, to help give us some idea about how such a pattern would typically develop.

But once I started to dig deeper I was absolutely stunned at what I was seeing.

To categorize these parabolic bubble patterns as similar would be a wild understatement. These patterns are so alike that it is truly amazing.

Over the past month I've spent a lot of time trying to better understand why these growth patterns are so consistent and repeatable, and I've come to the conclusion that it has to do with the fundamental way things grow and develop in the natural world. Nature has a blueprint for growth, and the way that energy is added into an expanding system follows universal principles of propagation and growth.

Financial markets are no different than any other natural system. They also follow these same universal principles of energy flow, propagation, and growth, and this is why there are consistent and repeatable patterns in financial markets.

And the most amazing of all financial market patterns is the parabolic "bubble" pattern.

I have found astonishing similarities between all of the "name-brand" parabolic bubble patterns over the last century: The Dow in the 1920s, the Nikkei in the 1980s, the Internet bubble in the 1990s, as well as the recent bubbles in housing and crude oil.

Gold is the next such bubble pattern, and it is just now approaching the most intense part of the pattern, where the energy expands at exponential rates.