Unless he was recommended to me I wouldn't have bought from him based on the presentation of his website, I agree it looks amateur'ish, but you'll get the best value by ringing him up and talking to him, which is what I think he prefers.

BTW - I'm not convinced the prices on his website are current, I get the feeling he updates them every few days but I may be wrong. If you specifically want Brits he's the man to talk to he gets alot in, then I clear him out. :)

the website is quite awful though! I did eventually manager to order something from them though

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

You could try emailing Sonia at CID as sometimes they have some coins that are not listed on the website. I think someone here, Chris? said that they were due a delivery of brittanias this month. Consider Sovereigns too? gram for gram they are often cheaper than ounce coins. I compared prices between ATS and Chards and ATS were cheaper at the time. Its worth shopping round as they change their policy according to market conditions. CID used to be allot cheaper.

I emailed CID last month and they said that they expected the next delivery of gold Britannias in late April. She told me (this was in March) that they had a few in stock even though they weren't on the website. You could email or phone them to ask what they have.

She took an order from me by email and combined it with a website order I placed on the same day so no extra postage. All our communication was by email.

I like CID a lot. They are convenient for me as I am in the Eurozone and they provide a good service with competitive pricing.

Evening all,

I've come into a little ££ and want to put it into coinage for certain specific reasons (including that I don't have any, but for other reasons too).

As far as I can tell, Britannias will cost me about £6-8 more per Oz coin. I deem this worth paying for various reasons. Do others agree? (if you are UK-based and one day might have to pay CGT).

As far as I can tell, the 'guide to buying coins' threads and others suggest there are four decent dealers: ATS, Bairds, CID and Chards (Tax-Free Gold)

CID don't stock Britannias. ATS don't quote prices on the internet. Anyone got preferences between Bairds and Chards? Chards seem a lot more expensive (£700+ for Britannias) than Bairds. Any ideas how ATS compare price-wise? Anyone had bad experiences with either/any?

I would put this on the buying coins thread but I suspect it won't get many views.

Thanks

Wanderer

If you are buying for investment then buy the cheapest, if you are buying for a collection then buy whatever you like the look of or need to fill your gaps. There is also reasoning behind buying any coin that has a small production run or ones with popular markings like the Aussie Lunar Dragon and Horse but to gain the most value with most of them you may have to keep them for decades before the market conditions are right.

Latest WGC article is a good read

http://www.gold.org/assets/file/rs_archive..._April_2009.pdf

you probably need to register (its free) to download - is worth doing

- They dont think anything funny is going on on the Comex!

+ they suggest look at silvers perfomance as a proxy for gold rather than homesake mining re period 1930-1934

+

The second central bank gold agreement (CBGA2) expires on September 26 this year. As at April 1, CBGA2 signatories, which are principally the Eurosystem central banks, had announced sales of 91 tonnes. The only major seller in this year of the agreement has been France, which has sold 64 tonnes of gold.

We expect a third central bank agreement to be announced soon, as some European central banks still want to rebalance the proportion of gold held in their reserves. This reflects the very high proportion of gold in total reserves, a legacy of the gold standard days. France, for example, still holds 73% of its total reserves in gold. Other European central banks, such as Portugal, have as much as 90% of their reserves in gold. The planned 403.3 tonnes of gold sales from the IMF, which still require legislative action by several member countries, including the US, may also be part of any third CBGA.

Russia remains the main buyer of gold in the official sector. Its gold holdings reported in the IMF’s International Finance Statistics having increased by 51 tonnes in the past six months.

--------------------------

? I wonder if that explains how Russia has managed to burn through so much fiat recently in defence of their currency?

BTY,

Decision-Making in Business :

"use of probability" :)

Let's see......

(May 2, 2008)

As recently as ten days ago, on April 22, the US Dollar index was down to a close of 71.54 points, a mere 0.24 points above its all time low set back in mid March (when Gold hit $US 1000). The Euro was at all time highs of $US 1.60. Oil prices had hit $US 120. And food prices (notably grain prices) had gone ballistic ballistic. Gold, however, was in the throes of a second big sell-off, having broken back below the $US 900 level.

Last week, Gold tumbled $US 35.00 on April 23-24. This week, Gold tumbled almost $Us 45.00 between April 29 and May 1. And right in the middle of that, of course, came the FOMC meeting and the announcement of another Fed rate cut. But this time, the cut was only 0.25 percent.

The 0.25 percent cut was expected. Last week, we reported that the Fed is expected to ease off on its rate cuts and start to target "inflation". This expectation hit a crescendo with the rate cut itself. As a result, the US Dollar rallied. US stock markets rebounded much closer to the levels at which they started the year. And Gold kept on going down. At it's May 2 intraday low of $Us 846, Gold had given up all but $Us 6.00 of its 2008 gains to date. The close on the day was $Us 858.00

At any rate, at its close of $Us 887.20 on April 25, Gold is now nearly back to its post $US 1000 low of $US 882.90 set on April 1.

(May 9, 2008)

the $US Gold price has recovered this week, closing at $US 885.80 - its highest closing level since April 28 - On May 9. Volatility is increasing too. On May 9, for example, the intraday low saw Gold all the way down to $US 871 (the London PM fix was $US 876) before the rebound.

(May 16, 2008)

Gold trading in the US on May 16 was "gap up" on all the daily bar charts - see the daily chart below. By the time that trading opened in New York on the day, Gold was already $US 16.00 higher than its closing level on the previous day. That's something we have not seen for a while.

(May 23, 2008)

Last week, Gold surged off a low of $US 866 on the day that the latest US CPI figures were released, to be greeted with a mixture of open-mouthed astonishment and contemptuous derision. This week Gold surged to just over $US 930 in intraday trading on May 21 before falling back on May 22 and then recovering to close the week at $US 925.90 - spot future close - on May 23. Between March 17 and late April, Gold fell from $US 1004 to $US 851. At its current close, just about exactly half of those losses have now been recovered.

MAY DAY !!!!!!!!! ;)

These knock downs are relentless...

I fail to understand why when the high volumes of shorts are held by so few, why this is not seen by the entire industry as a rigged game. If they keep this up it makes me wonder if we will see physical decouple from paper to the point where physical gaps up and leaves the paper price in its dust trail.

These knock downs are relentless...

I fail to understand why when the high volumes of shorts are held by so few, why this is not seen by the entire industry as a rigged game. If they keep this up it makes me wonder if we will see physical decouple from paper to the point where physical gaps up and leaves the paper price in its dust trail.

I wonder if the end game will also be a looooong game. As long as it takes for the US dollar to roll over which may be a couple of years. All the better for buying.

bowl.gif

pog at 887 now with the latest spike turning back down. With lower highs and lows, the down trend looks to be confirmed. Of interest is whether it will bottom at 850 like the first bowl, bottom at 750 like the second or whether it will go on to a lower bottom around 650. Whatever the bottom, I think it will be a bowl nevertheless and trend back up. Good buying opps coming up. I hope to start averaging in only once the 200mda is crossed.

According to my trading software, someone/ thing bought $29m of PHAU (Gold ETF) at 4 pm today.

That is hefty vote of confidence if correct but I'm not sure it is.

Can others see this trade too or is something wrong with my data?

I can't believe it.