Thought I'd put on my TA hat for the monthly gold chart.

33xuhd5.jpg

Something really interesting lept out at me in this chart. Can you see the 12 month SMA is acting as resistance and then support?

It also coincides nicely with a 61.8% fib...

Also, I drew 2 Median Lines, one from 2004 and one at the same angle for credit crunch era (2008). Can you see the ascending triangle with the 100% fib level?

If my daily 916 doesn't hold, then my monthly 904.55 will be where the fight happens, and if that does not hold then 880 will be where wars break out.

I don't know or really care how much gold will go to; I only care that when I buy my physical the spot price is the lowest.

Is there anyone out there who has a different opinion? I am open for alternative views or even views that support me!

wrt techincals, silver has also impressed me today* ditto palladium, tentative bottom?

should give it a few days really but fomc meeting tomorrow (i think) remember the last one when they announced QE, ag/au took mysterious dives pre announcement only to rally back stronger post announcement <_<

and you can check the facts there aliveandkicking if you so wish ;)

*kiss of death :lol:

edit. palladium seems to be bouncing off a rough trend line at present

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Is there anyone out there who has a different opinion? I am open for alternative views or even views that support me!

I posted this last week on the Trading Diary thread:

I'm not putting this on the Gold thread because the last time I aired my views on going short at $970, I got shot down.

Gold seems to be taking a breather around 920-930.

I have been short gold since 970 so done okay. But now we are in the doldrums. I have found it difficult to decide if to get out my short position or hold for further falls.

We may have to wait for the Fed's meeting next wednesday for major movements in all markets including gold. If if the Fed holds rates then this could pummel gold.

But I need further guidance. So I have looked at the last 2-3 months of movements in gold and compared patterns with the last 2 years'.

The closest comparison to the 3 month pattern is that which peaked in August last year.

MACD, momentum, RSI, correlation to 50 MA, all very similar indeed. That correction ended down near $750. If gold breaks $915-920 by next Thursday then expect the worse IMHO (it could bottom at $850 though).

So I will continue to hold my SBUL (short gold) for another week (I had planned to exit tomorrow but I feel there is more to come).

(FWIW if the Fed raises rates next Wed then this strategy changes.)

I've got to buy more of this stuff.

My thoughts exactly G0ldfinger! It seems ridiculously cheap compared to platinum.

I realise:

1) it is primarily an industrial metal

2) demand from auto use has been hammered

3) platinum is preferred after the whole debacle where Russia with held supply and almost killed some auto makers as prices spiked to $1000

However, even taking all this in to consideration it looks a bargain. Especially as new uses are likely due to its unique properties regarding hydrogen absorption.

Does anyone have any figures on how much it costs to mine per oz?

Im guessing it is now uneconomical to mine this stuff at current prices.

Perhaps we can move to the palladium thread to keep it on topic?

wrt techincals, silver has also impressed me today* ditto palladium, tentative bottom?

should give it a few days really but fomc meeting tomorrow (i think) remember the last one when they announced QE, ag/au took mysterious dives pre announcement only to rally back stronger post announcement <_<

and you can check the facts there aliveandkicking if you so wish ;)

*kiss of death :lol:

edit. palladium seems to be bouncing off a rough trend line at present

It's on Wednesday. The press release will be on Wednesday (24 June) at 19:00-19:30 British Summer Time

It's on Wednesday. The press release will be on Wednesday (24 June) at 19:00-19:30 British Summer Time

thanks, i will be looking for some pre QE announcement action that day then :D

does lightning strike twice? i remember JP saying he expected a QE announcement either in June or the next fomc meet (aug/sept?)

thanks, i will be looking for some pre QE announcement action that day then :D

does lightning strike twice? i remember JP saying he expected a QE announcement either in June or the next fomc meet (aug/sept?)

Double-agent: I think the GBP-gold chart in your signature is showing USD-gold?

'Gold To Go' vending machines could be coming to Britain

Holidaymakers passing through Britain's airports could soon have the chance to buy a block of gold from a vending machine, rather than a chocolate bar or a fizzy drink.

A German-based company, TG Gold-Super-Markt, has just installed a sophisticated gold vending machine at Frankfurt airport and has plans to roll out 500 of the machines in airports and railway stations in Europe, including Britain.

PF-vending-gold_1426953c.jpg

Maybe this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8117138.stm

$10 moves are so old hat now! :P

After making my post I thought to myself: hang on 10 dollars isn't much compared to what we were seeing sometimes before like 20 or 30 plus moves in a day.

I mostly watch the euro price which has been range-bound between EUR 650 and 700 for the last 3 months.

I'm beginning to get worried that the euro price may not have a good further correction this summer, having gone through a long solid period over 650, and maybe the euro won't continue to hold up against USD (it's USD 1.4027 right now).

Silver managed to get below EUR 10 yesterday but I'm still slowly averaging in over the summer.

Gold rises as China eyes bullionJune 25, 2009 - 2:46PM

http://business.theage.com.au/business/mar...90625-cxrn.html

Bullion earlier rose as high as $US936.30 after the head of the economic department of the Communist Party policy research office in China said at a Beijing forum that the country should buy more gold, and that purchasing land in the United States was a better option for China than buying US Treasuries.

"News that Russia and China are reviewing their dollar-based assets has been circulating in the markets in the past six months," said Shuji Sugata, a manager in Mitsubishi Corp Futures and Securities' research team.

"The comments from the Chinese researcher are within what has been said. But the fact that their stance in favour of gold has not been changed is a plus for gold and that's why it's being supported," he said.

But gold was still off Wednesday's high of $US942.20, when currency movements boosted bullion's dollar-hedge appeal after an unexpected jump in US durable goods orders in May.

Later in the day, the Fed, concluding a two-day meeting, said it would hold overnight rates in a range between zero to 0.25 per cent and gave no hint of an imminent exit from its easing monetary policy.

Investors mostly took in stride the Fed's comments about low inflation risk, while at the same time remaining cautious on the US economy, traders said.

"The Fed is checking a market bias toward either inflation or deflation. So, it's got to provide little incentive to trade after gold had a bumpy ride the day before," said Naomi Suzuki, a senior analyst at SC Asset Management Co.

There are some bullish signs on technical charts as gold stopped falling at $US912.90 per ounce this week, traders and analysts said.

I am still observing the Gold Cup & Handle formation as I believe this week will be a key week for gold.

14uf2qe.gif

I am looking at 3 key peices of information:

1) 916 act as resistance and support in past - will 916 area hold?

2) 38.2% Fib level is very close to 916 level (If you draw the fib disregarding the shadows then it is bang on)

3) 100 day simple moving average is very close and may act as support.

Anybody like to discuss?

Starting to look like 912 was the low. 916 target pretty close.

we have the communists buying gold

and the "free" world selling, leasing and naked shorting it

what a joke

Yeah, looks like history repeats. Historically, at the time the West viewed gold as purely money, Asia placed a higher value on it than merely a monetary one. Kublai Khan, for example, kept all the gold in house and just issued paper money for the populace. Internationally, they traded desired luxurious oriental merchandise for gold but then did not use the gold in turn to pay for trade with the west.... it piled up and modern economic theories of the day, along the lines that money/gold would always revert to a natural level among nations, were falsfied. Same could be happening today. :lol:

David Hume's balance of trade theory; "It is impossible to heap up money, more than any other fluid, beyond its proper level."

The idea being the piling up of treasure in one country will encourage that country to go out and spend. While the loss of purchasing power in another country will cause it to tighten its belt. Worked within European civilization, but Asian civilization was less accommodating to the theory and put a higher value on gold. So much for universal theories eh.

Will let my pictures do my talking ;)

InverseHeadShoulders.jpg

Are you suggesting Gold will fly?

"Thats not flying, thats..... falling, in style" said Woody when Buzz attempted to prove he could fly.

Lets hope thats not what happens to gold!!

Are you suggesting Gold will fly?

"Thats not flying, thats..... falling, in style" said Woody when Buzz attempted to prove he could fly.

Lets hope thats not what happens to gold!!

No don't say that, I was more thinking of the buzz lightyear saying "To infinity and beyond" :)