Fortunately I had very good parents who instilled a great deal of common sense - through the example of their own lifes and they way they navigated through it

You are a great poster Ziknik - thoughtful, receptive, adaptable and intelligent.

Why do you defend so obviously someone who offers piecemeal acclamations - no different to David Koresh - no reasoning - no insight - no analysis - no room for error.

Just straightforward apocalypse.

It should repel anyone's mind no matter what the message conveyed.

If you can't stand what I say then please feel free to stick me on ignore. I shan't take offense.

after 3 years ish of posting, everyone reading what we have been reading, surely should be expecting 'straightforward apocalypse' now.

There isn't another outcome possible is there ?

btw, there is a clear difference between liking someone, & acknowledging someone's predictions/expertise. :)

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Comments this afternoon from World Gold Council.

'Gold Will Hit 1000 Again' - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/persona...1000-again.html

I never realised there was a World Gold Council :lol: .......are there any positions available ? I don't mind a weekend 'coin counting' role, although, I may only take the role for 1 weekend. ;)

Fortunately I had very good parents who instilled a great deal of common sense - through the example of their own lifes and they way they navigated through it

You are a great poster Ziknik - thoughtful, receptive, adaptable and intelligent.

Why do you defend so obviously someone who offers piecemeal acclamations - no different to David Koresh - no reasoning - no insight - no analysis - no room for error.

Just straightforward apocalypse.

It should repel anyones mind no matter what the message conveyed.

Talk of parents is infantile and unproductive. I'm often amused by the bravado displayed by people on internet forums. I can't imagine it overflowing into the real world... <_<

But I agree with the broader point about the sainted Cgnao. I've only ever known him to make terse, apocalyptic proclamations with no depth or background.

On that basis, the concordant level of hero worship he is afforded by those on GEI seems both baffling and, frankly, a wee bit tragic.

It's interesting to hear that "back in the day" he was more of a normal poster with a obvious breadth of knowledge and thoughtful arguments.

Unfortunately, when that was happening I was slurping cider on a street corner, or something equally productive, and thoughts of financial armageddon were a long way from my mind!

It would be nice to see the old Cgnao back, so some of us "young un's" can see why he is held in such a high regard.

But I can understand him getting hacked off with the mouthbreathers on HPC! Faith in the British Isles can be lost in double quick time over there... :lol:

Thank you

I’m not defending him.

I remember you two have clashed before.

It’s gone too far when you are making comments about poor parenting and child beating IMO. As far as I am aware, cgano’s parents aren’t members here and haven’t done anything to deserve such speculation

Back on topic

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKLNE56T00...dName=fundsNews

LONDON (Reuters) - Gold prices are ignoring dwindling inflows into bullion-backed exchange-traded funds, with prices supported as investors switch their interest to the U.S. futures market and outright purchases of physical metal.

Consequently, while interest in gold-backed ETFs has tailed off after unprecedented buying in the first quarter, other forms of investment, such as positioning on the New York Comex futures exchange, have increased and underpinned a firm price.

"The slack created by slower ETF demand hasn't gone away completely, it's just been replaced by more speculative interest," said Barclays Capital analyst Suki Cooper.

"The position on Comex has picked up quite sharply."

Noncommercial net long positions in New York gold futures jumped 9 percent in the week to July 21, a report from the Commodity Futures Trading Commission showed last week, and were at 173,302 lots against 166,294 four weeks earlier.

"Maybe investors feel they can get a bigger bang for their buck by going straight through to the over-the-counter or futures markets," said Calyon analyst Robin Bhar.

I'd have a pint with most people on this thread, but I'm not so sure about you.

Arrogance. Arrogance that wouldnt be tolerated or respected beyond the walls of a forum that demands to hear such prophets and prophecies.

The man has been off from day 1 of GFC. He had a good case - but he misunderestimated the pulse of life and money - and the people and events that drive it.

Better parents might have made him a better common-sense judge on the course of events. I can only imagine he was beaten as a child.

There are far better posters on this site more worthy of the adulation - like romans hols for one. Now thats a chap I would like to share a pint with.

How many of you would want to share a pint with cgnao.

?

Guys have you seen the premuims @ CID for back dated krugs. They went up this morning, I thought it was a mistake but its still the same

Buy £565 - sell £662 !!!!!!!!!

They have lots of other coins at reasonable prices, but it looks like they are either running low on supply or they want to hold them back for later in the year :unsure:

Or they just need to thin out other stock :lol:

Interestly goldline have just reduced the price on krugs to £609

Guys have you seen the premuims @ CID for back dated krugs. They went up this morning, I thought it was a mistake but its still the same

Buy £565 - sell £662 !!!!!!!!!

Weird.

Today 2009 krugs are buy £571.47 and sell £612.22.

Today various years krugs are buy £565.92 and sell £661.84.

A question for anyone: are half sovereigns as easy to sell as full sovereigns or are they more/less popular?

if there is only 5 euros difference between buying a 1oz maple & a 1oz britannia, then what's the issue with just buying brittania's then ? surely a small premium to pay for no tax problems ? edited - in fact they are the same price. I am obviously missing something ? :unsure:

following on from the cgt stuff the other day.

is it something to do with the 'prettyness & rubby scale' ? :rolleyes:

ps - some of GOM's words may be new to your southern vocabularies, but do not worry. ;)

Some of the most entertaining threads and posts I have read were cgnao. A great one was when he posted "I have just heard something from a reliable source about an unprecedented event that I cant tell you about" The thread was frenzied for hours!! This was when HPC had a great buzz durring the start of the collapse, before the rift with the gold bugs. Top quality poster IMO, and I like his posting style.

Arrogance. Arrogance that wouldnt be tolerated or respected beyond the walls of a forum that demands to hear such prophets and prophecies.

The man has been off from day 1 of GFC. He had a good case - but he misunderestimated the pulse of life and money - and the people and events that drive it.

Better parents might have made him a better common-sense judge on the course of events. I can only imagine he was beaten as a child.

There are far better posters on this site more worthy of the adulation - like romans hols for one. Now thats a chap I would like to share a pint with.

How many of you would want to share a pint with cgnao.

?

Please find another forum.

Welcome back cg.

Nick

if there is only 5 euros difference between buying a 1oz maple & a 1oz britannia, then what's the issue with just buying brittania's then ? surely a small premium to pay for no tax problems ? edited - in fact they are the same price. I am obviously missing something ? :unsure:

ps - some of GOM's words may be new to your southern vocabularies, but do not worry. ;)

You are not missing anything.

Buy the Britannia if you want a one ounce coin.

If UK-based I would buy Britannias instead of foreign coins to avoid CGT. At CID on a per gramme basis sovereigns seem to be the cheapest of the lot. Half sovereigns are slightly more expensive per gramme than sovs and apparently not so easy to sell as full sovs.

I am increasingly attracted to smaller coins thinking of selling a little at a time when gold reaches a realistic price relative to goods which I believe will ultimately be a good deal higher than today.

That's partly why I began to think of half sovs.

Anyway for tax reasons UK-based people had best buy British: Britannias, sovs and half sovs.

How do you go about declaring that you made a capital gain but that its exempt due to it being sovs or brits? Does the exemption apply to silver brits?

Actually, I was just wondering about this today driving back from work since I'm going to buy more silver soon.

How do you go about declaring that you made a capital gain but that its exempt due to it being sovs or brits? Does the exemption apply to silver brits?

You don’t mention any exempt items when you fill in a Self Assessment.

Gold Sovereigns & Britannia are exempt because of TCGA92/S21 (1)(B )

Sovereigns minted in 1837 and later years and Britannia gold coins are currency but, like all sterling currency,
are exempt because of TCGA92/S21 (1)(B )

TCGA92/S21 (1)(B ) says all Sterling Currency is exempt from CGT. The Silver Britannia (£2) is Sterling currency – like the Gold Britannia (£100)

Currency in sterling is not an asset for capital gains purposes
. It is the unit by reference to which capital gains are measured.

EDIT:

This is the CGT question from a Self Assesment. It does not ask you about non-chargeable (exempt) items

Did you dispose of any chargeable assets (including, for

example, stocks, shares, units in a unit trust, land and

property, goodwill in a business), or have any chargeable

gains, or do you wish to claim an allowable loss or make

any other claim or election? If yes, read pages TRG 3 and

TRG 4 of the guide to decide if you have to fill in the

Capital Gains Summary page.

Do you need the Capital Gains Summary page?

I see CID have some more five 9s maples back in stock. Id recomend getting one of these as they are a much better looking coin that a standard maple and come in a display card with COA.

I doubt you will get red spots on one of these :)

You don’t mention any exempt items when you fill in a Self Assessment.

Gold Sovereigns & Britannia are exempt because of TCGA92/S21 (1)(B )

TCGA92/S21 (1)(B ) says all Sterling Currency is exempt from CGT. The Silver Britannia (£2) is Sterling currency – like the Gold Britannia (£100)

Thanks.

Besides the CGT issue, Britannia's are much nicer than Maples, they look very plain IMHO. If you want a couple of different coins to look at, I can recommend 1oz US Buffalos and 1oz Chinese Pandas.

BTW - If you want something high on the 'prettyness & rubby scale', OZ 1KG silver coins are quite stunning.

The ultimate goldbug phone?

Solid-Rose-Gold-iPhone-3GS-Diamond.jpg

UK : 4 designers, including Stuart Hughes, have designed the worlds first 18 carrot gold iPhone 3GS, called the 18ct Solid Rose Gold iPhone 3GS Diamond. The designers of the mobile have outstanding credentials having been part of the Goldstriker team for many years.

The project has taken massive amounts of intricate work to create a solid gold version of the iPhone body. The whole project was started and finished by hand and contains 150gramms of 18ct rose gold, 53 pink diamonds and an 18ct rose gold logo.

Specification

Apple iPhone 3G Black (16 GB) Smart phone Unlocked for

All networks worldwide.

Key Features

Display Size 320 x 480

Installed Memory 16 GB

Wireless Capabilities Bluetooth, WLAN 802.11b, WLAN 802.11g

Built-in Digital Camera Built-in Digital Camera

Input Method Microphone, Touch Screen

Talk Time 10 Hours

Standby Time 300 Hours

Digital Camera Resolution 2 Mega pixels