• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

When this EU law was passed didnt the bankers think " hold on a second " ????

Or did the bankers want the law pushed through ??????

Its certainly a question that needs some thought :unsure:

The bankers control the lawmakers. This is why I think it's for their benefit.

Does anybody know to what extent gold (and silver) ETFs are bought on margin?

Do you think many retail gold and silver investors borrow to buy bullion?

1) Loads

2)Yes (and this will increase in the mania phase)

Hence the chance of a sharp correction...but after the shake-out Gold will rise again IMO

For Wren in best dialect.

Heehee. :unsure: The actor who played Scottie was a Canadian, I forget his name. Apparently he chose the Scots dialect for his character as he thought it was the most authoritative sounding dialect. Not that I speak Scots, having been born and having grown up in England, but half my family speak Scots.

But Scottie can keep the paper, I won't be tricked by a canny Scotsman. ;)

1) Loads

2)Yes (and this will increase in the mania phase)

Hence the chance of a sharp correction...but after the shake-out Gold will rise again IMO

Yes, this is what I was wondering.

What proportion of the gold ETFs are not backed by physical? I'm worried how much the market is distorted by unbacked paper gold.

Jim Sinclair's Commentary:

Two points are apparent here:

1/ The worst is yet to come.

2/ The Fed will create whatever liquidity is required to the level of infinity.

3/ There is no other practical solution or it would already be in place.

Summary and Investment Advice

To summarize my expectations about the Japanese economy in 2008, the macroeconomy and the stock market should perform poorly, while the Yen has a strong potential to rise. The long-term strategic investor should stay out of the Japanese stock and bond markets. However, I recommend speculating on a rising Yen, preferably with LEAPS or other instruments that limit losses from potential government intervention in the currency markets.

http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/p.../2008/0310.html

That sums up my opinion. Japan is a turd, except possibly for its currency. However, they do the best they can to destroy it, so, watch out.

Typical Asian gold buying commencing. Then in NY they will try to put a lid on it. :unsure:

Someone also bought a big bunch of Yen when trading started.

GOLD at a new all-time high: $1,007.7

Sterling at 498.88 Can smell the GBP - toast - black and burnt stinking the place up.

JPMorgan Chase To Acquire Bear Stearns

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) announced it is acquiring The Bear Stearns Companies Inc. (NYSE: BSC). The Boards of Directors of both companies have unanimously approved the transaction.

The transaction will be a stock-for-stock exchange. JPMorgan Chase will exchange 0.05473 shares of JPMorgan Chase common stock per one share of Bear Stearns stock. Based on the closing price of March 15, 2008, the transaction would have a value of approximately $2 per share.

Effective immediately, JPMorgan Chase is guaranteeing the trading obligations of Bear Stearns and its subsidiaries and is providing management oversight for its operations. Other than shareholder approval, the closing is not subject to any material conditions. The transaction is expected to have an expedited close by the end of the calendar second quarter 2008. The Federal Reserve, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) and other federal agencies have given all necessary approvals.

In addition to the financing the Federal Reserve ordinarily provides through its Discount Window, the Fed will provide special financing in connection with this transaction. The Fed has agreed to fund up to $30 billion of Bear Stearns’ less liquid assets.

Link:

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/go...amp;newsLang=en

Fed Must Buy Securities to Halt Crisis, Cambiar's Barish Says

By Christine Harper

March 16 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Federal Reserve must start buying or borrowing mortgage-related securities from banks and brokers to forestall an economic disaster, said Brian Barish, who helps manage $8 billion at Cambiar Investors LLC.

``The Great Depression was caused by a failure by the Fed to respond to a crisis of somewhat similar character,'' Barish, president of Denver-based Cambiar, said in an interview yesterday. ``We better get the right policy real quick or you could just have a situation that should have been a run-of-the- mill recession turn into something worse.''

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

I am sure they will listen to Mr Bearish sooner or later. :unsure: