WJ, some here trade gold as if it was Google or Enron (i.e. on "technical" grounds). Others accumulate steadily and don't worry much about the daily/monthly fluctuations (the more "fundamental" approach).

I am in the latter group. This is why I started the gold threads here on GEI (coming from HPC, where I "worked" on the original "super"-thread).

My stand is that this is the biggest financial crisis ever (in the history of mankind at least) and that we only just got started (2 years ago). As my main indicators when I will sell gold I use the house:gold index and the Dow:gold index (check out the charts linked to in my signature). The reason is that these are real things measured against other real things, and the things I might want to buy from my gold (and silver) in the end might be stocks and property.

We are far from lows in houses:gold or stocks:gold. So, I continue to accumulate precious metals in their physical(!) form.

EDIT: See also my thread over at GIM for some more technical considerations: http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?t=195370

DrBubb: I somehow thought you only had 1 oz of (physical!?) gold? ;)

+10 :D

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=2060108...id=aSp9VoPeHquI

Un Says New Currency Is Needed To Fix Broken 'Confidence Game’

This was posted yesterday here;

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....st&p=125380

really? why do you say that?

Due to the volatility. If you manage to trade the volatility right... sell near a peak and buy on the dips it can be quite lucrative. I am not sure how long this window of opportunity will last. I imagine at some point silver will stabilize at a higher level, similiar to what gold has done.

Gold is a lot more stable now [with a floor around 900 compliments of QE] which is why I think it is for saving, that is, for taking profits in.

I am really not enjoying this little party in gold as much as I should. I mean, I am 80% in gold, and I am cross I traded my silver for gold!

Arrrgh! Anyway, speaking of profits, RH, I am thinking it may be time to take some in gold.

Does anybody else have a feeling the other shoe is about to drop?

I am really not enjoying this little party in gold as much as I should. I mean, I am 80% in gold, and I am cross I traded my silver for gold!

Arrrgh! Anyway, speaking of profits, RH, I am thinking it may be time to take some in gold.

Does anybody else have a feeling the other shoe is about to drop?

Not sure what you mean here. If you mean selling gold and taking profits in another currency... I do not see this as taking profits.

imo if you sell something [say silver when the ratio is more favourable] and take profits in gold, by buying gold, this is taking profits.

When the next shoe drops I doubt gold will dip far.... silver is the one to watch out for there.

That said, investors do not look like selling anything at the moment... with all the supposed liquidity about, why sell?

If you sold gold, what would you take profits in? It would have to be another currency. Why not think of gold as the better currency and stay put?

I see what you mean about "taking profits in gold, by buying gold". That is what I did.

Thanks RH.

Edited to add: Notanewmember -- I also plan to buy some gold and silver companies after the next crash.

Good article.

It is incredibly naïve to believe that gold can be removed from the international monetary system with impunity at the stroke of a pen, as they pretended to do it in 1973. The gold corpse still stirs. When it rises from its prostrate position it will, like Gulliver, dust off the Lilliputians who like ants have been scurrying all over his body. The day of reckoning will have dawned.

Yeah i took some profits yesterday in gold. The cash will be used to buy some largely overlooked midcap stocks in the next week or so. If the market crashes in September, then even better.

If you don't mind me asking, what currency did you take profits in? Yen, and dare I say it, the dollar, will strengthen in the event of a market crash. Sterling [risk currency] is likely to tank again.

I have Yen set aside in the event of a crash.... though I like to think I would buy some gold stocks, I will most probably just buy silver. Maybe 5% of my worth in something like minefinders would be OK for "diversity". I'm concerned, as a staunch deflationist, that there might be havoc in all stocks.... though gold related ones should pull through in the end.

This spike up took many by surprise. Originally I was looking for one more wave up in the "inflation trade" with the ratio going near 50 and the DOW through 10000... but after listening to the combined bear blasts of Prechter and Hoye, I swapped silver for Yen, though luckily only a third of my silver position. Moral of the story; stick to your own instincts.

Even if gold/silver heads up a little here, I think gold will come back below 1000 with silver coming back even further as it does.

This could be a trap.

The market will be headed towards a NY opening, with a big gap up in Gold,

and gap down in the US dollar.

We should look back the previous top in Gold to see what happened.

If you were the US Treasury, and wanted to BURN THE DOLLAR SHORTS, what woudl you do?

I fully agree. The conviction just doesn''t seem to be there in the price charts these last few days, especially if you look at multiple currencies.

I still suspect this is a fake upside breakout after the recent shrinking trading range.

...even some on GEI are thinking of cashing in at these levels, rather than buying more

Not me, I think there's been a paradigm shift, it feels different. Was it China stating they may default on derivative contracts or admitting they're buying the dips, I don't know, but this feels more than a "fake upside breakout."

I fully agree. The conviction just doesn''t seem to be there in the price charts these last few days, especially if you look at multiple currencies.

I still suspect this is a fake upside breakout after the recent shrinking trading range.

...even some on GEI are thinking of cashing in at these levels, rather than buying more

They are getting desperate for your physical gold. Of course there is always heaps of pixel and paper gold for everyone.

Look here. This outfit claims to DOUBLE any other offer you get.

keep your friends and gold close by at all times.

http://www.money4golduk.com/

gg2.png

i see they splashed out on the advertising campaign

as.gif

Anthony Sullivan

Host of Discovery Channel’s

hit TV show “The Pitchmen”

They are getting desperate for your physical gold. Of course there is always heaps of pixel and paper gold for everyone.

you never liked that paper stuff did you. :D

I remember thinking from day one that whenever I bought any silver/gold that it have to be physical. I don't think I could ever buy shares in the sm either.

you never liked that paper stuff did you. :D

I remember thinking from day one that whenever I bought any silver/gold that it have to be physical. I don't think I could ever buy shares in the sm either.

Paper Gold, electronic Gold or any other form of gold that is not yellow and weighty are all oxymora.