LOL. RealistBear thinks that gold is going to sub $300. What an idiot. The biggest financial cockup ever and he thinks that gold is going back to an even lower low (inflation adjusted) than Browns bottom. I dont know why he has such a problem about gold. He says he bought gold in the 70s and got out at $800, so he must have done well on it then.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

LOL. RealistBeasr thinks that gold is going to sub $300. What an idiot. The biggest financial cockup ever and he thinks that gold is going back to an even lower low (inflation adjusted) than Browns bottom. I dont know why he has such a problem about gold. He says he bought gold in the 70s and got out at $800, so he must have done well on it then.

there are so many posters who have pasted themselves into a corner now.......

for example, I think RedKharma at hpc knows he has made the wrong choice imo, but keeps digging his heels in deeper & deeper. Boy there are going to be a lot of red faces next year. You know what will happen though, 3 years of posting & they dissappear overnight when they are wrong & use the other usernames they have on the go. :rolleyes:

total deflationist, dollar lover, stating that gold is basically useless:

check out from post 3

Interesting to see the usual jokey comments like "bury it in your garden/under your mattress" along with the other predictable phrases such as tinfoil hatters, shot guns and beans, mad max etc... You could almost make a game of anti gold-bug bingo.

The phrase 'goldbug' is a label and like all labels, it allows the person labeling to make out that differences are fundamentally at odds with those from the majority, a process called Antilocution or 'othering' as in other than us, not the same, different, abnormal, weirdo, nutjob, to be avoided.

Allport’s Scale of Prejudice goes from 1 – 5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allport%27s_Scale

Scale 1, Antilocution

Antilocution means a majority group freely make jokes about a minority group. Speech is in terms of negative stereotypes and negative images. This is also called hate speech [2]. It is commonly seen as harmless by the majority. Antilocution itself may not be harmful, but it sets the stage for more severe outlets for prejudice.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win " M.K Gandhi

They can't ignore us anymore, though I think in general we are still in the laughing phase at the moment, with just a few very vocal critics up for a fight.

Interesting to see the usual jokey comments like "bury it in your garden/under your mattress" along with the other predictable phrases such as tinfoil hatters, shot guns and beans, mad max etc... You could almost make a game of anti gold-bug bingo.

The phrase 'goldbug' is a label and like all labels, it allows the person labeling to make out that differences are fundamentally at odds with those from the majority, a process called Antilocution or 'othering' as in other than us, not the same, different, abnormal, weirdo, nutjob, to be avoided.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win " M.K Gandhi

They can't ignore us anymore, though I think in general we are still in the laughing phase at the moment, with just a few very vocal critics up for a fight.

interesting stuff enrieb.

I think using Ghandi's quote, we are at the beginning of the fight stage imo.

Using Allport's scale, I think we are at Scale 3 Discrimination, I think ??

What I am seeing is the people who have bought pm's appear to be very calm & willing to talk things through.

What I am seeing is the people who have bought pm's appear to be very calm & willing to talk things through.

The endpoint and the only orderly way out of this mess is, in my opinion,

1 revalue gold versus the dollar

2 settlement of outstanding US liabilities in gold.

Everything else will lead to chaos, or war.

Nick

The Grumpy-Old-Bird ("StoneTheCrows") is also still around, I see. Regarding RK, he is not wrong in mentioning that interest or dividend matters. However, the downturns for instance in the Dow:Gold ratio are usually so strong that dividend does not matter so much, i.e. the buy/sell signals would be essentially the same even if one used a total return index instead.

I suppose where we are upto on those scales changes based on which sections of society that we are talking about. HPC certainly banned the open discussion on gold as do most of the mainstream media. Only a small percentage of people follow current events and very few of those people use the internet for news. Only a tiny fraction of understand enough about what's happening to be actively following the events on forums like HPC, and only a small number of us posting on forums understand gold.

As far as the general public are concerned its still mostly ignorance about the role of gold as a safe haven and barometer for the economy/banking/trade imbalances.

The mainstream media and the investment community, that relies the mainstream media, are still laughing about 'doom and gloomers, chicken littles,TFH , goldbugs' despite everything that has already happened.

The elite bankers and politicians have always been fighting against the fiscal responsibility of gold, even if its mostly been a proxy war.

When the general public are in the fight stage against gold, it will be because the bankers and politicians they trust will have destroyed their savings, their pensions and the wealth of their countries, and thats when things could get scary for those of us owning gold.

edit

Involved in all these perplexities, the Convention tried to

cut the Gordian knot. It decreed that any person selling

gold or silver coin, or making any difference in any transac-

tion between paper and specie, should be imprisoned in

irons for six years:—that any one who refused to accept a

payment in assignats, or accepted assignats at a discount,

should pay a fine of three thousand francs; and that any

one committing this crime a second time should pay a fine

of six thousand francs and suffer imprisonment twenty

years in irons. Later, on the 8th of September, 1793, the

penalty for such offences was made death, with conñscation

of the criminal's property, and a reward was offered to any

person informing the authorities regarding any such crimi-

nal transaction. To reach the climax of ferocity, the Con-

vention decreed, in May, 1794, that the death penalty should

be inflicted on any person convicted of "having asked, be-

fore a bargain was concluded, in what money payment was

to be made." Nor was this all. The great finance minister,

Cambon, soon saw that the worst enemies of his policy were

gold and silver. Therefore it was that, under his lead, the

Convention closed the Exchange and finally, on November

13, 1793, under terrifying penalties, suppressed all com-

merce in the precious metals. About a year later came the

abolition of the Maximum itself.*

In speeches, newspapers and pamphlets

about this time, we begin to find it declared that, after all,

a depreciated currency is a blessing; that gold and silver

form an unsatisfactory standard for measuring values: that

it is a good thing to have a currency that will not go out

of the kingdom and which separates France from other na-

tions:

http://mises.org/books/inflationinfrance.pdf

------------

Anyway on the plus side I learnt a new word today.

ethnophaulism (plural ethnophaulisms)

1. Creating negative cognitive images of a different group, negative worth and/or caricatures (jokes having to do with someone's features).

2. Using derogatory or disparaging words.

The short positions worry me, so I've sold out and will buy back in on the next dip.

The big banks are going to frighten people back into Treasuries AND piss the Chinese off at the same time, I reckon.

Gotta be co-ordinated by the Fed.

Nick

Those posts get to go on the notable posts thread.

Excellent stuff :D

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....st&p=126781

IMO this isn't receiving the attention it deserves. If this doesn't qualify as proof the gold/silver markets are manipulated then I don't know what does...

HAS BARRICK BEEN BARRICKED BY THE U.S.?

They are naked short positions pretending to be balanced by gold ore reserves

The hedging policy of Barrick was so obviously insane, so much in conflict with any common business sense, that it invited extensive speculation that Barrick was not really a profit-seeking business. It was just a front set up and operated by the U.S. (and/or by other governments) in order to cap the gold price.

IMO this isn't receiving the attention it deserves. If this doesn't qualify as proof the gold/silver markets are manipulated then I don't know what does...

HAS BARRICK BEEN BARRICKED BY THE U.S.?

Maybe not on here or in the mainstream.

From my reading this could be a rather complex issue. Those that manipulate and connive sometimes act like spies, with spies, double agents, and triple agents. It's difficult to know sometimes which bit is truth and which is not.

Certainly YET another success for GATA.

I agree it's hard to know how deep the lie goes. Certainly this and HR 1207 are moving gold/silver in the right direction.

Maybe not on here or in the mainstream.

From my reading this could be a rather complex issue. Those that manipulate and connive sometimes act like spies, with spies, double agents, and triple agents. It's difficult to know sometimes which bit is truth and which is not.

Certainly YET another success for GATA.

This duplicates the sort of thing I've been reading:

Ed Steer on Korelin:

http://www.kereport.com/audio/0912-03.mp3

"Sooner or later it's going to bust free, I just don't know whether it's going to be this second".

Personally I don't care. I'm in for the long-term. And I am pretty confident on the long-term ;)

To be honest I got out of Gold Shares 3 weeks ago - just at the wrong time , so am hoping for a good pull back to get back in / Perhaps this Friday will be the start of a market correction , with gold and stocks lower , $ higher .

I do think that Gold has perhaps gone up too fast too quickly , before inflation is showing any signs - and if there is a market crash as many are predicting the $ should rise as all else falls .

This just about sums it up

Gold may hit $1,100/oz over next 6 months: GFMS

http://www.reuters.com/article/hotStocksNe...E58D3IJ20090914

This from Jim Sinclair which seems to back up my thinking of yesterday on the current commercial short position.

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....st&p=126668

Got to be in it to win it.

When in the 1970s did COT get it totally wrong? It was when the market broke above $400 thanks to the Saudis.

Today there are dire warnings that the gold breakout will fail because the commercials are at record shorts.

That is exactly where the commercials were in the 70s when they got it totally wrong because they took on a government. The commercials are taking on the Chinese here.

How much gold is in Fort Knox?

(31/03/09) Old clip but still interesting.

must have missed that the first time around, cheers.

Whenever the government or auditing regulatory bodies, don't/won't let audit or let independant auditors come in & count asset's, that should be a clear signal to everyone that there is a cover up. The problem is, that when everyone is constantly having their attention diverted by the media to look at celebs/afghanistan/iraq/who's wearing what (I put these completely diverse items together to highlight the ludicrousness of it all), then the populace not only don't ask these types of questions, they don't even know what the questions are to ask in the first place.

so they manipulate the most of the markets, bribe/buy off senior businessmen/political figures & control most of the media........how on earth can you realistically ever beat that ?

yes, there's that hope thingy, but surely realism outweighs hope ? I am not talking on an individual basis here but group think.

This just about sums it up

Gold may hit $1,100/oz over next 6 months: GFMS

http://www.reuters.com/article/hotStocksNe...E58D3IJ20090914

With friends like GFMS, gold doesn't need enemies!

I cannot imagine a more grudging perspective on gold. It's as if they are trying to get retail holders to sell their gold before it hits the 900 they suggest the correction will take it to.

I would be inclined to lump Barrick, GFMS, and the World Gold Council into what I would call the Anti-Gold.