An interesting article which implies that anyone buying gold is somehow responsible for what is happening there. The collapse of The mining industry in SA is due to the same reasons that Rhodesia went from a prosperous grain and tobacco exporter to an impoverished hell-hole in 25 years.

Perhaps the idea of 'blood gold' will be used as an excuse to restrict or prohibit private ownership. A few months of controlled media stories about gold hoarders damaging the economy tied in with horror stories like the one in The Times will smooth the way for legislation against the filthy perverts that hold gold!

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

An interesting article which implies that anyone buying gold is somehow responsible for what is happening there. The collapse of The mining industry in SA is due to the same reasons that Rhodesia went from a prosperous grain and tobacco exporter to an impoverished hell-hole in 25 years.

Perhaps the idea of 'blood gold' will be used as an excuse to restrict or prohibit private ownership. A few months of controlled media stories about gold hoarders damaging the economy tied in with horror stories like the one in The Times will smooth the way for legislation against the filthy perverts that hold gold!

Well-observed.

Is gold is the "new" fur industry?

MAYFAIR and GRANT

This is from their website they have only been established THIS YEAR ...

26/06/09 to be exact and the sister companies Crown Holdings Limited links to Crown Group which is an bunch of events and hospitality companies none of them have anything to do with Forex that I can see. The chairman is listed as "Russell Morgan, Chairman, founded the Crown Group over thirty years ago and has watched it grow into one of the leading independent companies within the catering and event industry."

DYOR but I am glad that I do not have a bargepole.

Not at all.

If you are looking for a store of wealth... come what may... spend half on gold.

With the other half keep in "fiat" and then only buy silver on the dip.

Fiat is not quite toilet paper yet, amazingly, it looks likely to have the ability to buy more silver tomorrow than it can today. :rolleyes:

These comparisons of fiat money and toilet paper are offensive to toilet paper. If inflation starts going hyper, toilet paper will be one of the first things off the shelves!

Just watch: celebrities boycotting real gold and wearing the fake stuff.

Then a market for "ethical gold" will emerge. :rolleyes:

I had those Girls Aloud round my gaff last night. In the morning I noticed green circles on the insides of my thighs and wondered what it could be. Then I realised: Fake Gold Earrings :angry:

Legal disclaimer: the above is a joke

Not wrong at all..... and I have always said investors are wasting their time sitting in pounds.

It would be just silly not to have some serious powder dry on looking at the chart below. Personally, I suspect the metals might go higher with the market before the next slump in prices. But who knows, we could see a slump here, where I for one would be a serious buyer. :rolleyes:

Perhaps this should be discussed on the silver thread. In this environment, gold and silver are very different investment vehicles imo.

silver-1.gif

I look at all these charts and hear everybody making opposite calls, the markets and charts are clearly all over the place there is now no traditional measuring points anymore in my opinion i think these are unprecedented events of historical proportions.There doesnt appear to be any rhyme or reason to the movements unless you accept that there is ppt and manipulation and/or a load of sheeple following the MSM sheperd.The only true measures i feel are the fundamentals and whats realy happening in the real world not MSM manipulated lies damn lies and statistics.Putting charts aside why do you feel that there is going to be a sharp correction in price downwards romans please provide me with something of substance not a chart whith an opinion.

hey GF,

RB makes me laugh over at hpc with his total deflationary stance:

Old RB never gives up.

He's mentioned several times that he owned some sovereigns and sold in 1980 at $800.

As far as I know he never said which country he was in and which currency he was paid.

I have a suspicion that he actually bought into the 79-80 price blowoff and has never got over it.

His argument against gold is always hopeless saying that holding gold from 1980 to 1999 was bad. Anybody with a rudimentary ability to read a graph can see that.

He never mentions the cycles or why what happened happened.

I think he has not studied gold carefully and he does not understand gold.

Old RB never gives up.

He's mentioned several times that he owned some sovereigns and sold at in 1980 at $800.

As far as I know he never said which country he was in and which currency he was paid.

I have a suspicion that he actually bought into the 79-80 price blowoff and has never got over it.

His argument against gold is always hopeless saying that holding gold from 1980 to 1999 was bad. Anybody with a rudimentary ability to read a graph can see that.

He never mentions the cycles or why what happened happened.

I think he has not studied gold carefully and he does not understand gold.

I sometimes go over to HPC to see if there is anything interesting being posted but Realistbear is such a buffoon - I think he is either someone with a low IQ or a shill for the bankers - who knows he may be both. His obstinate attachment to ridiculous economic models where fiat money becomes increasingly more valuable is actually rather pitiful,

Putting charts aside why do you feel that there is going to be a sharp correction in price downwards romans please provide me with something of substance not a chart whith an opinion.

I get the feeling that many expect a repeat of last autumn.

With the precious metals I'm prepared for anything, although I think upwards more likely than downwards, except maybe for a limited period of weeks or a few months.

Somehow I do not think there will be an action-replay of last autumn with stock markets and gold down severely.

I reckon there will be an unexpected twist to wrong-foot the many who expect that.

The system can't afford another Lehman Brothers collapse. They let them go to test the resilience of the markets, they underestimated the effects of counter party risk and reverse leverage, it very nearly collapsed the entire system, they won't knowingly let it get that close again IMHO.

With the precious metals I'm prepared for anything, although I think upwards more likely than downwards, except maybe for a limited period of weeks or a few months.

Somehow I do not think there will be an action-replay of last autumn with stock markets and gold down severely.

I reckon there will be an unexpected twist to wrong-foot the many who expect that.

I certainly see alot of wishful thinking from some posters who have either traded metal and want to buy back in or are still trying to reach their target allocation and are constantly hoping for lower prices to facilatate this.

The way i see it everyone who i have contact with i advise them towards getting some exposure to physical metal i know from the response that people are now listening most unfortunately have not got any spare fiat to get that exposure but at least i feel that i have done my good deed for the day.It still amazes me just how financially dumbed down and ignorant people are and there is'nt even any FLOURIDE in our water.

Any comments on this:-

Tuesday September 29, 02:24 PM

ECB-Gold reserves drop by 58 mln euros in week

FRANKFURT, Sept 29 (Reuters) - Gold and gold receivables held by euro zone central banks fell by 58 million euros to 231.9 billion euros in the week ending September 25, the European Central Bank said on Tuesday.

Net foreign exchange reserves in the Eurosystem of central banks fell by 1 billion euros to 189.2 billion euros, the ECB said in its regular weekly consolidated financial statement.

Gold holdings fell because of the sale of gold by one euro zone central bank. The ECB said the move was consistent with the 2004 Central Bank Gold Agreement.

The bank's balance sheet totalled 1.79 trillion euros, inching down from the previous week.

For details of the report, please see the ECB's Web site: http://www.ecb.int/press/pr/wfs/2009/html/index.en.html Keywords: ECB/RESERVES

...everyone who i have contact with i advise them towards getting some exposure to physical metal i know from the response that people are now listening most unfortunately have not got any spare fiat to get that exposure but at least i feel that i have done my good deed for the day...

Likewise. I was at a large training course a couple of weeks ago and I had a number of conversations about the state of the world and the role gold could play. People had no idea how easy it is to protect yourself. I took a canadian maple in to show people - really did get their interest going...

Any comments on this:-

FRANKFURT, Sept 29 (Reuters) - Gold and gold receivables held by euro zone central banks fell by 58 million euros to 231.9 billion euros in the week ending September 25, the European Central Bank said on Tuesday.

€58 million at €680 per ounce is about 85 300 ounces or about 2.65 metric tonnes.

It isn't very much in global terms.

BullionVault alone has 18 tonnes.