this is why I never understood why I 'get it', yet I know far less than the majority of posters on this site about most things.

The art of making a new discovery and to understanding is to

"SEE WHAT EVERYONE ELSE HAS SEEN BUT THINK WHAT NO ONE ELSE HAS THOUGHT"

ALBERT SZENT -GYORGYI discoverer of ascorbic acid(vit c) and nobel prize winning biochemist.

The true definition of insanity

"IS TO KEEP DOING THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND EXPECT A DIFFERENT RESULT"

ALBERT EINSTEIN

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

The art of making a new discovery and to understanding is to

"SEE WHAT EVERYONE ELSE HAS SEEN BUT THINK WHAT NO ONE ELSE HAS THOUGHT"

ALBERT SZENT -GYORGYI discoverer of ascorbic acid(vit c) and nobel prize winning biochemist.

The true definition of insanity

"IS TO KEEP DOING THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND EXPECT A DIFFERENT RESULT"

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Nice. You know genius when, instead of thinking "I wish I'd thought of that," you think "how did he think of that." (or she)

What are you going on about now i know you are from liverpool but this is taking the piss.

PLEASE PUT ME ON IGNORE!!!!

I don't think you're as far gone as CDSwamp and you have some good insights even if your manner doesn't appeal to most people much of the time.

What I was going on about was thanking you for your thoughts and passing on mine. That sort of thing happens.

LOL, this is pure gambling. This move has caught out all the chartists, Ker, RH, Bubb, Fizzers, because they are not doing the geopolitics research, not listening to the rumbles about a new currency (50pc gold-backed according to Max Keiser's contacts), not studying the history of gold and basically not listening to folks that do the research and are clued up.

Hey CDS I consider myself a chartists too!

However, I did all the TA, FA and Risk work and still nobody from the bear camp came to debate with me.

:lol:

I don't think you're as far gone as CDSwamp and you have some good insights even if your manner doesn't appeal to most people much of the time.

What I was going on about was thanking you for your thoughts and passing on mine. That sort of thing happens.

Ok Thanks JIM but believe me swampy is no one's fool he clearly see's THE BIG PICTURE and that is very refreshing.

I see no reason why houses should not go below 130,000 pounds on average over the short- to mid-term.

BTW, see also my signature for exit-signal considerations.

Thanks GF. I'll check out those links.

Based on?

Sorry BB, this a gold thread so I should not ask

My question is badly worded. I was only really using £130k as an example. I forgot that there are a lot of (ex)HPCers here too. ;)

I fully expect average UK house prices to fall to 3 times average single incomes. As my signature on the HPC website shows.

In the context of the price of gold when it peaks in terms of housing, why not?

The chart on the HPC homepage shows that the last 2 troughs each fell below their preceding 2 peaks. If that happens again we'll go below £130k in real terms.

Exactly. Golds value is comparitive to many things - mainly we think of the value in or local currencies - but gold can be valued against oil, houses, tailor made suits, cows, sheep, loaves of bread etc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8295582.stm

Gold price returns to fresh high

There are several factors impacting on the gold price

The price of gold has hit a fresh all-time high of $1,048.40 an ounce after a continued decline in the dollar kept it attractive to investors.

It came a day after having pushed past the previous record of $1,033.9, which was set in March last year.

Analysts said that there was still potential for prices to rise further if the dollar remained weak.

However, there was caution that it may represent a price bubble rather than a sustainably higher gold price.

Speculative bubble?

The gold price fell back slightly later in the day, to $1,042.30 as the dollar showed some signs of recovery.

FACTORS IN GOLD PRICE RISE

Weak dollar

Speculation

Inflation risk

Time of year

Why prices are high and does it matter?

Analysts said concern about the possibility of higher inflation in the US as its economy recovers was another factor in lowering the price of the dollar, further boosting the appeal of gold - but there was scepticism about the driving forces.

"A mix of unfounded inflation fears, conspiracy theories and speculative demand looks more like the ingredients for a speculative bubble than the grounds for a sustainable increase in prices," said Julian Jessop, economist at Capital Economics.

The price of gold is typically strong in the October to December period because of the higher demand for jewellery in the run-up to Christmas and the Indian festival of Diwali.

Demand for gold is strong in India, and Indian communities around the world ahead of the festival of lights, which this year falls on 17 October.

This is because gold jewellery is typically given as presents.

Is this all we get from the MSM,swampy that jessop needs some evidence ,i mean real evidence. :lol:

Thought this was apt considering the thread subtitle.

Yahoo giving mainstream advice (from their homepage) on how to "get in"

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/02102009/389/know-...-gold-rush.html

Britain's gold rush is officially on. The adverts for companies which buy gold jewellery have crept beyond the satellite channels and onto terrestrial TV. They're also cropping up in national newspapers and magazines as all around are the sounds of drawers being emptied and jewellery boxes being plundered for a bob or two.

But is this money-making opportunity really glittering or just for fools?

It helps to consider why gold plays such an important role in the economy, particularly when times are tough. Gold is seen as a 'safe' investment because - unlike currency - it has an intrinsic value. This encourages speculative buying of gold as investors diversify out of other riskier investments, particularly in a recession or banking crisis. It was a big favourite during the Second World War and also in the Great Depression because it held its value.

These days, gold is still giving many investors the Midas touch as it has risen in value for the past seven consecutive years and has broken the $1,000 per ounce barrier again more than one in the last year and remains at historically high levels. But it's worth noting that even if gold prices continue to rise, UK investors can still lose money if the currency markets don't move in their favour because gold is priced in dollars. As ever, it pays not to put all your eggs in one basket and to include gold in a diverse investment portfolio. More on that later.

Gold websites

It's not just serious buyers who are interested in gold. There are a growing number of companies encouraging us to sell gold jewellery and coins we already earn to make money. Most of them operate remotely and will send you a 'secure pouch' or pre-paid Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope so that you can send your gold to them. Postal strike aside, this is not the most risky element. The problems can arise if you do not know how the firm operates. Some will value your gold and come back with a quote but most will just send you a cheque or pay the money straight into your bank account if you have given the details. This makes it harder to turn down a bad offer and retrieve your jewellery. You may even feel that you cannot face the hassle of getting it back, which is something they rely on to some extent, I am sure.

The other risk is that you will not get the true value of your gold. Weight is not a useful guide in itself as 9ct gold does not have the purity of 24ct gold. One thing you won't see on all the annoying adverts is the price or 'flat rate' these firms pay for gold. This allows them to keep sellers in the dark. Just because the advert promises 'guaranteed sale'; 'best prices' or 'best rates' it does not mean you will get what you deserve.

Postal gold buying services are relatively new here but in the US where they have been around for longer, there are noises from consumer groups about rip-offs, where customers have discovered they received around a fifth of the market value of their gold.

When Radio Four's Money Box programme approached seven of these companies recently, it was offered between £4 to £6.65 per gram of 9ct gold; a wide range. It's not just the websites which vary though. When Trading Standards officers took a bracelet around six jewellery shops in London and were offered between £17 and £36 for it. Their advice is to get as many prices as you can before you sell. If you do send off your gold to a website then make sure you use one which will send a quote first.

Gold parties

Forget Ann Summers and Tupperware; the latest trend is hosting 'gold parties' at home. Another idea imported from the USA, these are run by companies like 'Ounces to Pounds' which pay hostesses commission. The idea is that you gather around a dozen pals with gold to sell - it may be unwanted or old jewellery - and you all have a few drinks while taking turns to get the items valued. if you decide to sell you get paid then and there. Ounces to Pounds says it is holding 80 parties a month, and its hostesses, who pick up 10% commission, "typically might earn £350 per party". The company also provides 'up to' £35 to cover the cost of wine and nibbles as an added incentive.

The Ounces to Pounds staff bring paraphernalia including scales, a gold testing machine (if it's magnetic it is not gold) and a carat-reader. Value is then calculated according to weight, using that day's fixed London gold price, which is £616 per troy ounce (31g) at the time of writing. If you're heading to one of these parties, just make sure you don't get so squiffy on the free wine that you accept any old price for your trinkets.

Buying gold

If you're keen to buy rather than sell there are several different approaches.

• The vending machine. One of the most novel ways to buy gold has to be the vending machines unveiled in Germany this summer. You can pick up one, five or ten grammes of gold from one of the 500 armour-plated machines which is linked to a computer updating the price every 15 minutes. The margins are lower than those offered by banks but fluctuate at about 20% higher than market prices. More exciting than salt 'n' vinegar crisps though.
  • Bars and coins. Bullion coins are legal tender in the country of issue and their market value is determined by the value of their fine gold content, plus a premium that varies between dealers. These should not be confused with commemorative or numismatic (collectors’) coins, whose value depends on their rarity, design and finish rather than just their fine gold content. Small gold bars can be bought in a variety of sizes and weights up to 1kg. Like bullion coins, they contain a minimum 99.5pc gold. Bars are likely to carry less of a premium than coins. There are all sorts of added issues and costs to take account of with coins and bars. For starters you need safe storage and insurance. You need to be able to take them to a dealer to sell them and the transaction costs for some coins can be high. Of course if you want to liquidate part of your holdings then you cannot sell half a bar or coin.
  • Allocated gold account. If you don't want to the responsibility of having gold coins and bars with you then a vault can hold them on your behalf. Of course you will pay for the privilege.
  • Unallocated gold account. This is similar to the allocated account but as the name suggests, you own a quantity of gold held in a vault but not specific, numbered bars that belong to you. The vault can lend “your” gold so you do not normally pay for storage or insurance. There is a minimum initial investment requirement of £5,000 but remember if the custodian goes bust you are likely to lose your gold and become a creditor.
  • Exchange-traded funds. These securities are traded on the stock market and you can buy and sell them in the same way as a share. Their prices tend to closely reflect the value of physical gold. You can benefit from flexibility and no storage or insurance costs but there are charges of typically 0.3% to 0.4% a year, from the value of the fund and you have to pay broker’s commission every time you trade.

Analysis pieces on the premier national news network plumbs new depths.

DOES THE PRICE OF GOLD REALLY MATTER?

It could be bad news if you are looking for an engagement ring or another piece of jewellery. Higher prices are likely to be passed on to shoppers.

On the other hand, it could be good news if you have gold that you no longer want and could do with making some money.

Analysis pieces on the premier national news network plumbs new depths.

DOES THE PRICE OF GOLD REALLY MATTER?

Well that was 2mins of my life i won't get back....ahhhhhh!

Just think we UK tax payers helped create that shite!

I also wonder if there will be a rise in burgalaries with an increase in these gold adverts... I hear a lot of beeb journos keep it under their beds!

Quote:

Indian farmers are also big gold customers at this time of year - seeing it as a way of keep their profits safe after harvest - free from threat of currency fluctuations.

So only Indian Farmers are affected by currency flutuations are they? Maybe the farmers are worried about the Reserve Bank of India - apparantly only Marc Faber thinks they are the best run central bank...so they must be shite!

Thought this was apt considering the thread subtitle.

Yahoo giving mainstream advice (from their homepage) on how to "get in"

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/02102009/389/know-...-gold-rush.html

Despite many articles which treat gold solely as a commodity (and the article above focuses more on getting out of gold rather than in), I think we can definitely say that the public awareness phase has begun. Does anyone have an insight into the '70s/'80s bull market to determine where we are? I was still potty training back then.

According to this, which is basically a prediction from 2004 (or 2006, when the accompanying article was written), we're at the end of 1978, which coincides with the start of the mania phase. Spooky!

http://goldsilver.com/graphics/gold_bulls_3_stages.gif

gold_bulls_3_stages.gif

Ok Thanks JIM but believe me swampy is no one's fool he clearly see's THE BIG PICTURE and that is very refreshing.

He does, but so do a lot of others here. Until he gets that and calms down...

Exactly. Golds value is comparitive to many things - mainly we think of the value in or local currencies - but gold can be valued against oil, houses, tailor made suits, cows, sheep, loaves of bread etc.

Yep, seeing GF's charts of houses priced in gold and then a long term of the Dow or oil priced in gold really opened my eyes.

Well that was 2mins of my life i won't get back....ahhhhhh!

Just think we UK tax payers helped create that shite!

I also wonder if there will be a rise in burgalaries with an increase in these gold adverts... I hear a lot of beeb journos keep it under their beds!

Quote:

Indian farmers are also big gold customers at this time of year - seeing it as a way of keep their profits safe after harvest - free from threat of currency fluctuations.

So only Indian Farmers are affected by currency flutuations are they? Maybe the farmers are worried about the Reserve Bank of India - apparantly only Marc Faber thinks they are the best run central bank...so they must be shite!

where did you read this? As fitkid says to swampy, show me evidence. :P

Interestingly, my FX broker are offering increased leverage on PM trading.

Dear Client,

As part of our commitment to delivering the best possible trading terms to our clients, we have introduced floating leverage for clients trading Gold and Silver.

As of Monday, 28th September 2009, margin requirements on open positions have been reduced to 1% for the first 20 lots of an open position, 2% for the next 30 lots (between 20.1 and 50 inclusive) and 5% on any amount above 50 lots. For hedged positions we now require half of the normal margin requirement for each side.

Floating leverage for precious metals

1% 2% 5%

Gold ≤20 lots 20.1 - 50 lots >50 lots

Silver ≤20 lots 20.1 - 50 lots >50 lots

For an example, please refer to our company news article located here.

Please note that due to the closure of Globex between the hours of 23:15 and 00:00 (23:15–00:00 MT4 time), Alpari (UK) will disable trading of precious metals each evening between these times.

Regards,

Alpari (UK)

BTW, I would like to thank all of you for the quality of your posts and your tolerance to newbies.

JL

Pixel8er, you're going to like this here:

Looks like the breakout is moving true to form :D

How often do the charts update on the Approximity site?

Despite many articles which treat gold solely as a commodity (and the article above focuses more on getting out of gold rather than in), I think we can definitely say that the public awareness phase has begun. Does anyone have an insight into the '70s/'80s bull market to determine where we are? I was still potty training back then.

According to this, which is basically a prediction from 2004 (or 2006, when the accompanying article was written), we're at the end of 1978, which coincides with the start of the mania phase. Spooky!

http://goldsilver.com/graphics/gold_bulls_3_stages.gif

gold_bulls_3_stages.gif

He does, but so do a lot of others here. Until he gets that and calms down...

Yep, seeing GF's charts of houses priced in gold and then a long term of the Dow or oil priced in gold really opened my eyes.

The question is how long will it now last, if we are at that point. The graph suggests 12 months or so...will it be any different this time around? Does human nature change? Will the internet compress the time period of the speculative stage? If only we knew.

where did you read this? As fitkid says to swampy, show me evidence. :P

Step 1 - http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=7896

Step 2 - http://www.investmentpostcards.com/2009/10...ancial-markets/

Read Quote:

India. Faber is bullish longer term. Short term, there could be a correction. India is one of the best-protected countries because of less vulnerability to the export sector. He also believes the Reserve Bank of India has one of the best monetary policies in the world - supervising the financial system closely, relatively tight, and mindful not just of core inflation but also of other price levels like asset prices

Step 3 - Watch videos!

Simples. :lol: