I can see this running to 1100 then taking a breather.

Nothing goes up in a straight line but I cant see sub 1000

Just a theory but if we are going to have a good earning season then isn't it in the intrest of the " Cartel " to let the price run up ( it must be all those speculators ) and they can save some ammo for when the market takes a turn for the worst, maybe first quater next year.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

The only thing annoying me about this run up is the 10% of my assets i had set aside to make the most of a seasonal October pullback.

Having said that the 60% i have in Gold/silver/juniors is doing great :D

1060... whodathunkit... if this carries on through the afternoon i can only seeing more buying in the Asian market window overnight.

What price 1080 or 1090 comes midday tomorrow?

One thing is for sure... Mr. Puplava will be having a very busy week right now lol.

CPI and RPI adjusted gold prices are nonsense. The best way to look at the historical gold price is to compare it to previous and current money supply figures.

Even if you compare M1 to Gold you'd be probably looking at something close to $10,000 per ounce.

A decent article here about the recent rise priced in non-dollar currencies, suggesting this is a dollar play rather than a general inflation play.

In British pounds, gold has sunk about 6% from February highs and is up just 6% for the year, based on pricing of the most active contracts at the time.

The disparity reveals just how crucial a role the falling U.S. dollar has played in driving up gold and other commodities prices.

Gold is usually seen as the ultimate currency - a liquid investment that holds fast when paper currencies depreciate, potentially because inflation is rising. But in recent months, investors seem to be treating the metal specifically as a hedge against the dollar's drop than a deterioration in currencies in general.

"What's going on right now is really dollar related," said Nicholas Brooks, head of research and investments at ETF Securities, which has constructed commodities exchange-traded funds including the recently launched ETFS Physical Swiss Gold /quotes , which gives investors a share of physical gold stored in Switzerland.

Buyers of gold in euro, pounds and Aussie dollars could see their fortunes turn quickly around if the U.S. dollar strengthens - even if gold prices stabilizes or falls.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/golds-ris...rops-2009-10-07

I want to buy gold on GBP strength since I think that it's ultimately a worse currency than the dollar. All the same problems but with not as good an economy and no reserve currency status. I also have more GBP to "protect" and prefer to keep some USD for pullbacks in the USD gold price and playing the major miners.

Thank you FWIW, Pixel8r, GF. All those graphs have just reinforced that Gold is still cheap. Best load up more. Now. There might be a pull back, but no point in hanging on to GBP in excess of basic buffer.

Thank you FWIW, Pixel8r, GF. All those graphs have just reinforced that Gold is still cheap. Best load up more. Now. There might be a pull back, but no point in hanging on to GBP in excess of basic buffer.

In GBP its still cheaper now then it was in Feb / Mar 2009, spot was £680 then due to the weak pound. Spot today is about £654

I doubled up on my core position of Au a few months back. (Ag sold last February)

Core position at $605 additional around $900.

Really caught in 'Indecision Dave' territory. (Caught between a rock and a hard place)

Almost sold half on Monday before (!) recent new highs but still holding on.

GBP not looking good. USD 'stronger'.

May hold longer term.. however..

Looking to load up Ag.. but perhaps.. not yet.

BTW, I think I will refrain from posting on this threat until the word "trading" is removed.

I generally don't like the spin the thread gets every month by subtitles etc. that seem to encourage to trade the metal.

An acceptable solution for everyone should be to keep the title neutral from now. But I am not sure how the moderators/DrBubb see this.

If it stays like this, I might start talking to myself in a separate thread. There obviously also is the one by Steve N. now.

To be fair, it's just reporting data (though their method of calculation may be up for debate). If gold went down in USD but up in buying pressure it would be saying "Gold still considered a good bet by the market". I notice USD went below 76 for a while.

To be fair, I'd like to see Nadler use this in any way other than as a negative comment on golds performance.

BTW, I think I will refrain from posting on this threat until the word "trading" is removed.

I generally don't like the spin the thread gets every month by subtitles etc. that seem to encourage to trade the metal.

An acceptable solution for everyone should be to keep the title neutral from now. But I am not sure how the moderators/DrBubb see this.

If it stays like this, I might start talking to myself in a separate thread. There obviously also is the one by Steve N. now.

100 % agreed how many posters have made it known how they feel about the thread title and nothing has been done about a simple typing exercise.Come on you ban swamp but cant appease the requests for the appropriate requested thread title,same difference posters are complaining.

So, is it worth it?

No, I don't think so. :). I mean NO.

Au is the strongest currency.

My 'overweight' doubled up core position is a hold.

My 'rock and a hard place' is Au. However..the Lord is my shepherd and I shall not want.

I would not advise anyone to trade Au.

My profits of currency trades and speculative positions of Ag have been put into Au.

I do not want to give the impression it is a good thing to trade Au.

My Au hedges my GBP by exposure to Au as currency in itself and to USD (reserve currency) by proxy.

Thanks GF.

100 % agreed how many posters have made it known how they feel about the thread title and nothing has been done about a simple typing exercise.Come on you ban swamp but cant appease the requests for the appropriate requested thread title,same difference posters are complaining.

Someone added the "to da moon" part of the subtitle. But the "trading" remained. Why don't we keep it all neutral. Just something like:

"The GOLD thread -- October 2009"

"Facts, charts, and discussion on gold and related topics"

Perhaps the trading talk could be encouraged to go in the "Investors Edge" : Markets & Trading" sub-forum?

Yes I think it pretty poor form of Dr B to not respond to your (and others) question as to why the title now only has trading in it. There has been quite a bit tension on the board of late and Dr B has taken some unfair and unwarranted bashing. But this doesn't make it right not to reply to a reasonable question asked by reasonable and valuable members.

The "full of it" comment I also took exception to. I enjoy your posts GF so please keep posting. I will happily tune in to a separate thread and contribute what little I can.