It feels like 'divide and conquer' to me :unsure:

EDIT: Why has 'investing' been removed from the thread tittle? Has anyone asked DrBubb / Steve NW?

It's a conspiracy. :lol:

Steve was busy this month. Bubb started the new thread. What exactly is the problem? :lol:

I think it is a bit silly to have more than one thread... but then maybe it is required given that some bugs have become intolerant to the idea of "trading" and hedging gold.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Spotted this; thought it sounded fascinating..

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/...91007103034.htm

Bacterium Transforms Toxic Gold Compounds To Their Metallic Form

ScienceDaily (Oct. 9, 2009) — Australian scientists have found that the bacterium Cupriavidus metallidurans catalyses the biomineralisation of gold by transforming toxic gold compounds to their metallic form using active cellular mechanism.

“The discovery of an Au-specific operon means that we can now start to develop gold-specific biosensors, which will help mineral explorers to find new gold deposits."

Spotted this; thought it sounded fascinating..

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/...91007103034.htm

Bacterium Transforms Toxic Gold Compounds To Their Metallic Form

ScienceDaily (Oct. 9, 2009) — Australian scientists have found that the bacterium Cupriavidus metallidurans catalyses the biomineralisation of gold by transforming toxic gold compounds to their metallic form using active cellular mechanism.

“The discovery of an Au-specific operon means that we can now start to develop gold-specific biosensors, which will help mineral explorers to find new gold deposits."

Now if they could just get this to work in seawater where there's said to be a few billion KG's of gold particles waiting to be extracted..

Hello,

I'm posting to reclaim the forum! Have just been doing a wee tote-up of my net worth and is now at a record once again, despite losing nearly a big amount on shorts of the various stock indices. Much of this increase now thanks to Gold, Silver and related stocks including a few beauts - e.g. SLW.

Question now is how and whether to rebalance my portfolio slightly. Currently (in % terms):

Cash (mostly sterling (yes, I know)) 22 (85% sterling, 15% euros)

Gold and Gold shares 47 (say 38% bullion, 9% stocks)

Oil 0 (closed a position over the summer)

Silver and Silver Shares 14 (half silver bullion, half stocks)

UK and Japan Equities 5

Short Equities 10 (in ETFs - losses here)

CFD account 3 (losses here) (although I've closed some sterling shorts in profit, partly to preserve margins)

How would people balance/rebalance this? I sense we've had a good run in many ways and that there may be a change of direction soon (though I'd be considerably wealthier if I hadn't been betting on that basis against shares for some time!).

I know Laura B would hit me with her rolling pin so that I'd get out of sterling. But my entire reference - salary, ultimate housing destination etc. - is in sterling so i've struggled with inertia on this one.

Also posted on Dr B's trading diary.

Grateful for views,

Wanderer

Could this be true?

Central Banking: A Blight On Humanity

By: Rob Kirby

Impeccably reliable sources have informed me that as recently as Sept. 30, 2009 – the last possible day of trade in the Sept. 09 gold futures – a number of well-heeled market participants “bought” substantial tonnage worth of gold futures on the London Bullion Market [LBMA] and immediately told their counterparties they wanted to take instantaneous delivery of the underlying physical bullion.

The unexpected immediate demand for substantial tonnage of gold bullion created utter panic in at least two banks who were counterparties to this trade – J.P. Morgan Chase and Deutsche Bank – because they simply did not posses the gold bullion which they had sold short [an illegal act which in trading parlance is referred to as a “naked short”].

Because these banks did not have the bullion to honor their contracted commitments, one or both of them approached the counterparties and asked if there was any way they could settle this embarrassing matter quietly on a “cash basis” to absolve the banks from fulfilling their physical bullion delivery obligations. The purchasers were not interested in a ‘cash settlement’ and demanded delivery of physical bullion giving these banks 5 business days to resolve the situation. A premium of as much as spot plus 25 % [that would be 1,250 – 1,300 per ounce of gold] was offered to settle this matter in fiat money instead of the embarrassment of a very public “failure to deliver” on the part of the London Bullion Market Association.

Earlier this week, no less than two Central Banks became involved in effecting the physical settlement of this situation. One of these Central Banks was British [that would be the Bank of England] – and reportedly, even they were only capable of providing less than pure, non-compliant gold bars that did not meet good delivery standards stipulated by the LBMA. Like it or not, this is a testament to lack of physical gold available, folks.

To summarize: Banks like J.P. Morgan Chase and Deutsche Bk. - who sold endless amounts of gold futures at prices of 950 – 1025 and then tried to make “side deals” with the folks they sold the futures to – offering them spot + 25 % [let’s say 1,275 per ounce] to settle in fiat – only after their counter parties demanded substantial tonnage of physical gold bullion.

Stunningly, if accurate [and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is not], this means that gold is already in SEVERE backwardation and this fact is being hidden from the public.

Then, to protect the “integrity” of the futures market as a ‘price discovery mechanism’ – Central Banks – aiding and abetting - plunder the sovereign assets of their respective countries to bail out their agents / friends in an attempt to ‘sweep the whole bloody mess under the carpet’.

To think that anyone wonders why our financial system and fiat money will soon to be TOAST?

What a disgraceful insult to humanity.

It's a conspiracy. :lol:

Steve was busy this month. Bubb started the new thread. What exactly is the problem? :lol:

I think it is a bit silly to have more than one thread... but then maybe it is required given that some bugs have become intolerant to the idea of "trading" and hedging gold.

Was it impossible to change the thread tittle to keep us all together?

The split looks permanent to me :unsure:

Was it impossible to change the thread tittle to keep us all together?

The split looks permanent to me :unsure:

GF asked that "and Investment" be put into the title as was normal. It didn't happen so he started a new thread which is more about fundamentals and the long term than about short-term trading.

I was happy with the original "Trading and Investment" thread which included everything.

There seems to be some tension caused by the gold price move and differences of mood between those waiting on the platform hoping for a correction and those already aboard the train not taking the risk of being left behind.

I passed the above onto James for his comment, here is his response.

In theory, I suppose it could be true. But it is all hearsay. However, the physical market is tight. I spoke about this yesterday (Oct 9) on CNBC Europe. I was discussing what I call the scramble for physical metal that has been driving gold higher since the announcement by Greenlight in June that it switched out of GLD into physical metal.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1290375882&play=1

Regards

James

Pixel,

Great post with James Turk :D

I've collected loads of manipulation articles which I've posted on here.

Maybe the most important point James made was "it's not a conspiracy, it's policy".

Also, you beat me to those sharelynx charts :D

I was prompted to look on there following the question on the other thread.

Excellent charts, which I think should be the main charts that people refer to :D

(I'm not sure about copyright)

Sharelynx has loads of charts, and the charge is quite low, so IMO it looks like a good investment

http://www.sharelynx.com

Wanderer,

I think maybe you'd benefit from listening to this:

The Dollar Decline: Sudden or Gradual

http://www.netcastdaily.com/broadcast/fsn2009-1010-3a.mp3

---------

I haven't got there yet, but Jim mentions "why 5% to 10% gold is not enough".

I haven't changed any thread titles. I'm not sure what's best, and won't do anything without some sort of consensus view.

I have to say I agree... 4 gold threads ((Ker, SteveN, GF, main thread) Have I missed any?) is a problem. It would be far better to keep the thread (+sub) titles neutral in balance of investing/trading, than the current solution. I believe 4 separate threads will generate more posts than the current main thread. Personally I'm struggling to keep up with all the threads on here as it is.

You sir, rock!!! will listen now

I guess we will see quiet soon how tight the physical market becomes. Paper gold is rapidly losing it's appeal as people get fed up with this manipulated market.

The time will come IMO that we move into permanent backwardation as Antal E. Fekete has been talking about for years. I also remember that this is something cgnao was saying to watch for on his recent post.

GF asked that "and Investment" be put into the title as was normal. It didn't happen so he started a new thread which is more about fundamentals and the long term than about short-term trading.

I was happy with the original "Trading and Investment" thread which included everything.

There seems to be some tension caused by the gold price move and differences of mood between those waiting on the platform hoping for a correction and those already aboard the train not taking the risk of being left behind.

Agreed. I loaded up by adding to my core position around $900.

Boat full to the brim with Au, however, some room for Ag. Must be careful I don't sink.

Pixel,

Great post with James Turk :D

I've collected loads of manipulation articles which I've posted on here.

Maybe the most important point James made was "it's not a conspiracy, it's policy".

Also, you beat me to those sharelynx charts :D

I was prompted to look on there following the question on the other thread.

Excellent charts, which I think should be the main charts that people refer to :D

(I'm not sure about copyright)

Sharelynx has loads of charts, and the charge is quite low, so IMO it looks like a good investment

http://www.sharelynx.com

Thanks Steve, James Turk has spent a long time answering DrBubb's questions for all our benefit. Zero hedge has also been coming out with a lot of historical proof over the last week, I will try to find some links.

I was also wondering about the copyright issue (a matter close to me for obvious reasons), but as the images were in the free chart section and I included a link I figured it would be fine.

Gold isn't an investment so I don't see how the word 'investment' would be relevant.

Gold is money. You don't invest in money. As the ultimate currency gold serves to protect value. It's a store of wealth.

Too true.

"Gold Is Money, and Nothing Else." - JP Morgan

Was thinking the same. Co-inciding with the price rise, some have got a little bit excitable these days. :lol:

No doubt things will calm down a little soon.

These threads have never really had much about short-term trading on them. Those that are not "in 100%" are mostly discussing timing and hedging in an extremely volatile market..... not how to make a quick buck. Seems to me the "day/swing trader posts" have been a very small minority on this thread [imo they should be tolerated anyway].

Gold isn't an investment so I don't see how the word 'investment' would be relevant.

Gold is money. You don't invest in money. As the ultimate currency gold serves to protect value. It's a store of wealth.

A good point. How about just calling the thread "GOLD".

Also, can't we all just get along? :lol: