• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Hi nicejim , others may chip in with better answers here, but here's my understanding:

If you're comparing it to paper then yes, it's done far better. Productivity has increased but only against 3rd world armies, and the price of the increase may be quite significant. When I calculated the gold relative to soldiers' wages I thought the factoid added more weight to the charts of gold falling in value over time than to the claim that it holds value.

I doubt anyone here is hoping to hold gold for 500+ years though ;)

Anyway, it's been holding value today - $1064ish a new record?

Edit: $1065.2 but it's doing the g/s ratio no favours!

New record prices again.... this is not the October pullback i was expecting lol :)

What interests me is when those shorting Gold are forced to cover... i mean any trader looking at seasonal patterns or going on the 'less bad news' will have been expecting Dollar to be strong and PM's to fall a little so i wouldve predicted a substantial number of hedgies etc shorting the Gold markets... when do they get into the the position of being forced to cover themselves? or is that what we are seeing now? Anyone with active trading experience of this sort of thing able to comment?

Cheers - Pye

Eerie quiet, considering all time records breaking. Not only no rockets, but hardly anyone even posting. Maybe too many people hoping for "the pullback"?

I am happy I have stayed fully invested. If a pullback happens I am not expecting it till April at around $1350.

Eerie quiet, considering all time records breaking. Not only no rockets, but hardly anyone even posting. Maybe too many people hoping for "the pullback"?

A bit of a knife-edge. In the short term, it could break either way with the dollar. I am expecting another wave up in the market, and a weaker dollar, before things reverse for a bit. I doubt very much that gold is too vulnerable to a reversal. As for silver....

It's still well below the all time highs in euros, pounds etc.

I'll get excited when it makes new highs in those currencies.

TBH we haven't seen massive fluctuations, we have had steady and small rises in the past few weeks. I remember last year we had days where gold could go up or down by +/-100$!

TBH we haven't seen massive fluctuations, we have had steady and small rises in the past few weeks. I remember last year we had days where gold could go up or down by +/-100$!

Gold is a lot more stable post QE. It has effectively been monetized and is being bought as a currency [or currency hedge]. As others have pointed out it is not making highs in a range of other currencies. The action in gold, as priced in dollars, is primarily reflecting dollar weakness here.

Gold is a lot more stable post QE. It has effectively been monetized and is being bought as a currency [or currency hedge]. As others have pointed out it is not making highs in a range of other currencies. The action in gold, as priced in dollars, is primarily reflecting dollar weakness here.

what is interesting tho - and this may have been discussed on the gold stocks threads - is that my (mostly Australian) gold stocks seem far more responsive to the USD price of gold than in AUD. At the moment there is effectively a double effect of rising prices of these stocks in AUD whilst the currency itself is strengthening against the USD and GBP. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

what is interesting tho - and this may have been discussed on the gold stocks threads - is that my (mostly Australian) gold stocks seem far more responsive to the USD price of gold than in AUD. At the moment there is effectively a double effect of rising prices of these stocks in AUD whilst the currency itself is strengthening against the USD and GBP. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

Think of capital flow. The money is flowing from the centre to the periphery on the risk trade. This pushes up commodities, commodity currencies, and stocks in especially emerging countries and "commodity" countries such as Australia.

The high [uS dollar] price of gold is just reflecting a weakened dollar as capital moves out of it.

Priced in Austrlian dollars, gold is down a little.

aussiegld.gif

goldassssie.gif

That's why it is faith based. Either you believe gold has the value that people say it has - or not.

nothing has value; people attach value to things.

This is also why I don't share Romans holiday's notion that we would go back to a gold backed currency. It doesn't work, except in gold-pushers mythologies...

the problem with a gold standard it the same as the problem with all imposed monetary standards.

it doesn't matter what you impose as a currency; it is the imposition itself that is the problem.

... It has serious structural issues of it's own (relating to base growth vs. real economy growth for example) and its policy flexibility is far worse than that of paper currencies.

all imposed monetary systems place arbitrary contraints on the money supply that are damaging to economic productivity.

Its a mark of genius, didnt you know :P

I try hard but always seem to end up with too much stupidity or not enough words....

:lol: I remember years ago I was driving in Spain when a car overtook an oncoming vehicle and almost forced me off the road. I was flashing my lights -horn etc - and the driver just smiled and gave me a wave! That nonchalant wave made me so angry it was a wonder I did not burst a blood-vessel - but in a zen-like moment, I realised that the driver understood how to react - and I, like a fool, did not. So, I resolved that next time in such a situation, I would wave too <_<