OK so why then do I read posts on here chastising people when they mention longer term investment style horizons? :blink:

If the thread still covers "the wider aspects of gold investing and trading" why not change a totally incorrect and misleading title? :blink:

If your comments are made to feel unwelcome you go elsewhere. Its not "spitting the dummy" as you so eloquently put it. Its moving on to where your discussion will get a proper airing and be valued.

I think it is all a bit silly myself. Some took offence that investment was left out of the title with only trading left in... probably because they are offended that gold should be traded in the first place. :lol: [not a big deal really... Steve will restore the all important word in next month's thread no doubt]

Due to the spat, some decided that perhaps distinct threads, focusing on investing and then trading, were required in order to avoid the squabbles [personally I prefer one thread where tolerance is practiced... but if intolerance persists , better to have separate threads]

Why not change the title? Well, some would consider that pandering... but I couldn't possibly coment on that.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Thats weird because here in UK it is the exact opposite for me.

I can see price inflation for things I actually need every day everywhere.

OK so for now you could do just as well getting out of USD/GBP and in to some other currency rather than gold but why take the counter party risk? It seems clear there is a race to the bottom on with currencies all trying to devalue. But since they are all relative the only thing can really ALL devalue against is gold. It will be a bumpy ride but for those non-traders who are just looking to preserve their wealth gold is something to hold.

This!

It serves western governments at present to see currencies devalue both for export reasons and for coverage of entitlements and liabilities. I'm a big believer in the Jim Rogers, Marc Faber (and many others) view that we will see a rush to tangible stuff i.e. precious and rare earth metals, energy oil/gas/uranium, foodstuffs etc. as currencies continue to decline.

This seems to be taking on more substance, could the squeeze finally be on?

Blight on Humanity Addendum

By: Rob Kirby

Earlier this week, I wrote about possible “incongruities” in the gold bar registry of GLD. Specifically, here is what has happened to the GLD bar list which is published each Friday at approximately 4:30 pm EST. An alert reader I communicate with [who shall remain anonymous] has been documenting the length of the published GLD bar list:

- on Friday, Sept. 25 – the list was 1,381 pages long

- on Friday, Oct. 2 – the list was 208 pages long

- on Friday, Oct. 9 – the list was 195 pages long

- then, on Wednesday, Oct. 14 – after questions were being raised about the strange machinations with the bar list in chat rooms on the internet – the list was back up to 855 pages long

Something TRULY stinks here. No explanation has been offered for the DRAMATIC swings in this list. Where gold is concerned nothing happens by accident.

How Precious is Settled in London:

Loco London clearing is the daily paper unallocated transfers between London clearers; the transfers of gold and silver only across accounts held between clearers for their own accounts and third parties; and, as mentioned earlier, the clearing out of Zürich for the platinum group metals. It avoids security risk and the cost of physical movement of bullion; has standard market practices…

[However] Both allocated and unallocated account agreements are available. There are allocations for credit purposes, bilateral credit agreements between clearers, and London good delivery….

Some short definitions: an unallocated account is an account where specific bars are not set aside, and the customer has a general entitlement to the metal. This is the most convenient, cheapest, and most commonly used method of holding metal. The allocated account, on the other hand, is an account opened when a customer requires metal to be physically segregated, and this needs a detailed list of weights and assays….

To Summarize:

- GLD gold bullion inventory is principally held in London

- I’ve already written about some large [allocated] physical transactions that were settled last week in London under VERY strange circumstances indicative of a shortage of physical gold bullion for good delivery.

- At the same time, significant irregularities appeared in the GLD bullion bar list

Conclusion:

- is the correlated timing of these unusual events a coincidence???? Could GLD inventory have been utilized to effect these physical settlements, which in turn, would have required the “sanitization” or doctoring of the GLD bar list to avoid MANY obvious, easily detectable, duplications of bar numbers?

I discussed these irregularities with a very informed source [the same one who informed me of specific [allocated] trades settled last week] and the reply I received was as follows:

“What can I tell you that you don't already know?

They are all scrambling big time since a number of large interests have demanded audits. Independent auditors are NOW descending onto the various vaults to verify, validate and certify.

They can move this as many times in circles as they like to try to fool people.

In an Asian depository they’ve found “Good Delivery” bricks that had been gutted and filled with tungsten.

"Soon, there will be xxxx hitting the fan all over place.”

These circumstances suggest that a VERY REAL physical short squeeze is in progress RIGHT NOW and a gang of fraudsters from “fiat-crack-houses” [Central Banks] are attempting to finesse their losing over-sold hand in an elaborate Three-card Monty. With reports of independent physical audits now being conducted and mysterious happenings with GLD’s bar list – GLD has NEVER looked more suspect.

Hope you’ve all got some physical gold already.

The unasked question of those charts could also be, "When will it end?" Clearly charts don't continue on a tack like that forever. When do they stop ascending? Do they plateau or do they dive?

We asked Jeffrey Christian questions like that in our last interview with him at www.resourceintelligence.net a few weeks ago. He's bullish in the long view. (He's also an advisor to the Bank of China!)

The video is on the main page, to the right (the picture of Jeffrey).

Steve will restore the all important word in next month's thread no doubt

I've always just repeated how DrBubb started this thread, trying to add some relevant/witty sideline, and maybe something relevant in the first post if I have time.

I have no idea what to do now, and haven't done anything.

I've always just repeated how DrBubb started this thread, trying to add some relevant/witty sideline, and maybe something relevant in the first post if I have time.

I have no idea what to do now, and haven't done anything.

Trading or Investing?

Take your pick

BBC London evening news....

CASH FOR GOLD - Dont sell your gold to these dodgy CASHYOURGOLD type companies.

Entering mainstream....

There are a lot more people entering the traditional jewellers now and offereing gold for sale now rather than going to these companies. The fast money has been made.

You just can't please everyone all the time. :lol:

Yes but you can at least try to please some of the people all the time.

Who exactly was pleased to see this go to a trading only thread?

Who specifically asked/wanted this?

All rhetorical now I suppose.... pity that... back to GF's gold thread...

I don't really called what its called, my main gripe is the monthly installments.

I prefer GF's thread as it is all-in-one.

i don't so mind the monthly installments but don't like the spin in the titles; here's a thought why not have a thread called....

The GOLD Thread

and just leave it at that

pro and negative viewpoints can then be exchanged under a neutral setting

IS THIS GOLD GOING MAINSTREAM ??????? I dont remember IC doing this before !!!

http://events.investorschronicle.co.uk/eve...etail.php?id=81

IC Gold Conference Email to FriendPrint

Date: 23/11/2009

Time: 02:25 pm - 05:30 pm

The Investors Chronicle is proud to launch our 2009 Gold Conference, discover the potential profits and the avoidable pitfalls at our half day conference on Monday 23rd November 2009 at the London Stock Exchange, London.

Gold has always traditionally been the safe haven for investors and the recent market turmoil has proved how important it is to have gold in your portfolio. Many argue that gold should make up between 5 -10% of every serious investors portfolio. Yet one of the most frequent questions our readers ask, is should we invest in gold now, and how do we do it?

The IC Gold conference will examine the various ways to invest in Gold including the long and short term outlook and different investment options available depending on risk, while highlighting the most profitable strategies in the present climate. The essential event for anyone wanting to invest in Gold.

The IC Gold conference is completely free to attend, however places are limited so register now to reserve your complimentary place at this launch event!

Location: The London Stock Exchange Address: 10 Paternoster Square

London EC4M 7LS

Get driving directions »

E-mail: robert.reed@ft.com

Contact name: Robert Reed

Phone: 0207 775 6593

i don't so mind the monthly installments but don't like the spin in the titles; here's a thought why not have a thread called....

The GOLD Thread

Secondsies.

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....st&p=133053

A good point. How about just calling the thread "GOLD".

Also, can't we all just get along?

The GOLD Thread

I like that.

But GF might complain about "The" :lol:

See post 552. :rolleyes:

Maybe a bit long :unsure:

How about just AU ? :D

Maybe someone can help me out. I noticed someone say it was easier to search with just one thread.

How do you find the right page?

When I've searched I just get the thread, so the more pages there are the more impossible it is to find the right page.

Maybe someone can help me out. I noticed someone say it was easier to search with just one thread.

How do you find the right page?

When I've searched I just get the thread, so the more pages there are the more impossible it is to find the right page.

Search.

More Search Options.

More Options.

Show results as posts.

How's that for you.