Betting Against Roubini Is As Good As Gold

There can't be too many people left who wait to see what Nouriel Roubini has to say until they place their market bets - unless it's to bet against Roubini's view. And it's a good thing for Nouriel that he gets paid as a university professor and not as a market speculator - although, if I were one of his student's I'd be pissed about having to pay for his professorial garbage. As per The Wall Street Cheat Sheet:

"If you followed his bearish advice in 2005, you would have either missed the entire rally through 2007, or you would have lost money shorting the market. If you would have followed his advice starting on March 9, 2009, you would have lost a ton of money. We should also note that Roubini said Oil would stay below $40 a barrel for all of 2009"

Here's the link, which has a nice chart of Roubini's consistently wrong market calls: LINK

For public record, I would like to note that Roubini recently has decreed, several times, that gold is going to go lower. I'm not sure you'll find a better bet in the history of the universe than taking the other side of that call.

My view is that Roubini has been working hard for an appointment to Obama's Council of Economic Advisors. Quite frankly, I'm surprised Obama has not given Nouriel his wish, because Nouriel's dismal incompetence as an economist would make him a perfect fit with all the other clowns in Obama's administration.

Nouriel-Roubini-stock-market-track-record-2009.gif

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Potential Troubles for the Euro? - the Euro is 51% of USD, the trade-weight Dollar's basket

+ Many european countries find it tough to compete with the US and China with the Euro at/near $1.50

+ No single country has full responsibility, standing behind the Euro, and would be able to raise interest rates and taxes to sustain its value. Who is its backer of last result?

+ The credit crisis is a global phenomenon, and the European banks are more levered than US banks, and have done less than the US banks to repair their balance sheets

+ European banks, and macro hedge funds have used the dollar as a borrowing currency for "carry trade purchases" of Euro denominated loans, equities, and property. When the dollar turns higher, there may be a sudden urgency to cover thos loans, which will mean selling down the assets for Euros, and using the Euros to buy dollars. This will put upwards pressure on the Dollar, and downwards pressure on the Euro.

+ East European countries like Latvia, Estonia, and Bulgaria, waiting to come into the European community are in serious financial crises, and their major lenders are mostly European banks

/source of some of this: http://seekingalpha.com/article/98895-big-...es-for-the-euro

== == ==

This interview from Financial Sense, makes many relevant points about the future strength of the Dollar / weakness of the Euro.

christian.gif

Jeffrey M. Christian, Founder (CPM Group)

Topic: Gold Fundamentals ... and the Dollar

MP3 : http://www.netcastdaily.com/broadcast/fsn2009-1107-3b.mp3

Although Christian expects stocks to go to SPX-1200 and Gold to $1200 per ounce within this year. if you listen carefully and with a contrarian frame of mind, you will hear many points which sound very bullish for the Dollar.

+ JC expects a pop in the USD of 10% or more, sometime next year when the US economy begins to recover

+ He thinks in the next up-phase could take US interest rates to 7% or more

+ Central banks and big funds have now turned buyers of Gold (the record shows CB's buy at the top)

Q: If these guys are so smart, why have they waited for Gold to rise 4x before buying?

Jim Puplava, in reference to : John Paulson, Einhorn, and Tudor Jones ... says "these guys arent day traders".

Well, they are bigger than day traders, but frankly, they are not known for being buy-and-hold investors, and then

tend to exit positions quickly, when they go against them.

===

See the new thread : Euro - The inevitable descent towards Zero?

Potential Troubles for the Euro? - the Euro is 51% of USD, the trade-weight Dollar's basket

Goodness me... the Euro is in trouble.

The USD may be due a bounce but is in trouble too.

The pound sterling? lets not even go there!

Which currency out there is a true store of value then?

Or do we have to all stay nibble and be part-time FX traders?

Is it any wonder folks are buying gold?

James Turk on Goldseek.com

http://www.radio.goldseek.com/players/turkplayernov10.php

Talking about the unemployment rates in the states, the prospects for gold/silver and information about GLD being something less than G-O-L-D.

The lack of daylight in Winter in the North is known to cause madness irrational thinking in some people living there.

I loved the place when i travelled through it earlier this year really beautiful country,we had a blow out literally at santas world on the artic circle in finland and when i spoke to the break down guy he said he would be there before it got dark i thought for a second and said but it wont get dark here the sun doesnt set now the guy was laughing his arse off.We ended up changing the wheel at 2am in bright sunshine.How on earth they get used to permanent dark then permanent daylight is beyond me.

Yes, it's available here in Finland.

Nice video.

But confuscious he say also

The wise man sees this process with different eyes to the man who can only see the contents of his own mind.

When mattel toys sells plastic ducks around the world that are not manufactured by American labour it saves money and is able to produce greater profits for its owners.

The countries who enable this process get a share of the profits and learn also how to make plastic ducks.

Why would china stop making plastic ducks for America?

Confuscious he say: Some see revolution. Some see changes. And some cannot see that nothing has changed.

But confuscious he say also

The wise man sees this process with different eyes to the man who can only see the contents of his own mind.

When mattel toys sells plastic ducks around the world that are not manufactured by American labour it saves money and is able to produce greater profits for its owners.

The countries who enable this process get a share of the profits and learn also how to make plastic ducks.

Why would china stop making plastic ducks for America?

Confuscious he say: Some see revolution. Some see changes. And some cannot see that nothing has changed.

I say i cant SEE what on earth you are going on about. :rolleyes:

Please leave at least an hour after your last intake of liquid before posting to give us a chance of understanding what you are saying. :lol:

New records are so humdrum these days, not only are there no rockets, there's not even a murmur. $1118.50/toz Yay!

Strange, for the last few weeks I have started to become less interested in spot prices - I cannot put my finger on it precisely - Perhaps the inevitability of what will occur has taken away the thrill of watching the 'price' go up.

Anyone else got that feeling?

The lack of daylight in Winter in the North is known to cause madness irrational thinking in some people living there.

NB:- This sub-light will have no effect on continuing rise of UK property prices.

Strange, for the last few weeks I have started to become less interested in spot prices - I cannot put my finger on it precisely - Perhaps the inevitability of what will occur has taken away the thrill of watching the 'price' go up.

Anyone else got that feeling?

1oo % agreed i have done my research big thanks to fellow posters and listened to my own intuition and now the whole damn thing continues to unfold unabated its like watching the twin towers demolition in slow motion.

(As posted just now on the Yelnick thread):

xeub.png

I think we have just seen an important low in the US dollar, and high in the Euro.

If the thrust continues, you are likely to see selling accelerate in stocks.

I have spent several hours constructing a thread to help my fellow GEI friends track the emerging downwards move in the Euro : http://tinyurl.com/EuroFall

Bizarro World, Parallel Universes, and the American Way Part I

November 7, 2009

D. Stewart Armstrong

Where is Superman when you really need him? My belief is that he is reading this article at this very moment. Go look in a mirror. Forget the cape, forget the blue tights, and forget the bulging biceps—let’s go people, there is a world to save!

Nothing occurs in a Vacuum!

The Theme

Metaphorically speaking, the theme is Bizarro World because it can be entertaining. In actuality, we are facing a National Disaster. I urge all of you to connect the dots. There are intense national and international debates occurring as to whether we are in a gold bear market, a gold bull market, gold in a bubble? Listen, get the large geopolitical equations down to their lowest common denominators and that’s where you’ll find the truth. What I am endeavoring to demonstrate in Bizarro World is that all the “Noise” doesn’t mean a thing. Most of it is coming from entities with serious personal agendas not the least of which is to hide what they are doing from YOU! The “noise” is being used to cover their tracks. The noise is incessant, loud, obstreperous, and so far quite successful.

The “good guys” are the ones who are trying to peel back the onion layers to get to the core—to the truth. They ignore the noise and keep the focus. When you have a so called “jobless recovery” created by trillions of dollars in debt that morphs into quadrillions of dollars in debt because of an ill conceived, politically motivated health care program combined with, wars for oil, fear, swine flu tactics, and “permanent resident status” for millions of illegal aliens, the layers begin to be peeled back—that is if you know and value the impact that the truth has upon our lives.

Utilize all the arrows in your quiver to recognize that the lowest common denominator is value. What has value? Does the dollar have value? If so, then why are other countries not interested in buying our treasuries (debt)? And why are those countries selling those previously purchased treasuries at a discount in order to buy hard assets! It is because of value and gold, silver, and your Aunt Susan’s antique armoire have more value than dollars. That will become ever more evident as the movie rolls on. When the movie credits for this horror show are screened, you’re going to want to throw up.

Incidentally, value is the very reason India “front ran” China and paid full price for a few tons of gold sold by the intellectually challenged at IMF. The IMF sale is almost as bad as England’s Gordon Brown selling a huge percentage of England’s gold at the very bottom of the market–$450 an ounce!?

Thus the biggest financial story in the United Kingdom today bigger even than our unprecedented bubble in credit is that Prudence “ignored advice” before selling half the nation’s gold at rock-bottom prices in 1999. You might wonder why the fuss. Accountants at Grant Thornton reckon that Culpability cost taxpayers 2 billion by selling 400 tonnes at the bottom of the market.

The lesson to be learned via Bizarro World is that nothing is it appears in today’s world of geopolitics and international finance! Protect yourself with hard assets, not dollars!

Bizarro World

Most of you have it wrong because you have it right and you don’t even know it. Don’t you see it? We are living in Bizarro World.

There is truly an alternative universe and none other than ____(take your pick)____ is the Emperor. Yes, it’s true he is naked, but that is of no account in Bizzaro World. We are now living our lives through the pages of a comic book where black is white and up is down. When you feel helpless and depressed, you must understand that you are suffering from this incredibly complex duality. Bizarro World is the appropriate name for our current environments, especially our financial ones. It is a world where your eyes and ears see and hear one thing but the exact opposite is presented to you as truth.

Accordingly, in the Bizarro world of “Htrae” (”Earth” spelled backwards), society is ruled by the Bizarro Code which states “Us do opposite of all Earthly things! Us hate beauty! Us love ugliness! (Government wants what is best for Citizens!) Is big crime to make anything perfect on Bizarro World!”. In one episode, for example, a salesman is doing a brisk trade selling Bizarro bonds: “Guaranteed to lose money for you”. Later, the President appoints Bizarro No. 1 (Take Your Pick! Ed.)to investigate a crime, “Because you are stupider than the entire Bizarro police force put together”. This is intended and taken as a great compliment.

Now you know why you’ve been so confused. The only question remains, will the real president or emperor of Bizzaro World please stand up!? I have a few candidates whose hat I’d like to roll into the ring.

We, as a nation, are a snowball rolling down a mountain going 60 miles an hour and picking up speed. We are now at a point where that snowball is 50 miles wide and 50 miles tall. We see it, we hear its savage roar—but wait, that’s not an enormous avalanche of raw unadulterated power; no, it is but a little golf (gold) ball bouncing down the hill. The government has proclaimed a golf ball avalanche—some people know its a gold avalanche. We all know it’s a political goofball avalanche! Welcome to Bizarro World. read more

who says that all the mined gold never disappears!! Wanna come to one of my dinner parties :P:P:P:P:P

http://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/acatalog..._Gold_Leaf.html

Edible Gold and Silver leaf... without doubt the most opulent food garnish.Gold and Silver leaf has been used for centuries, not only for decoration of fine art objects but also for the decoration of food.

Our range of Edible Gold & Silver products are designed specifically for the decoration of food and beverages and allow you to transfer to your table all the magic of these precious materials, bringing an ancient Renaissance tradition back to life.

Suitable for the decoration of Wedding Cakes, Chocolates, Fruit, Marzipan, Champagne cocktails , Indian cuisine - your imagination is the only limitation! 23 ct Edible leaf is manufactured with extreme care and controls and adheres to the FDA guidelines of edibility. Edible leaf has no taste or smell but has a very luxurious appearance.

All of the products have safety certification, are Halal and Kosher

Edible Gold and Silver are classified as Natural Food Additives. Gold being classified as E175 and Silver as E174

------------------------

Halal and Kosher...........thats all right then :rolleyes:

But apparently these are getting more popular in the city - bonus season cometh ?

who says that all the mined gold never disappears!! Wanna come to one of my dinner parties :P:P:P:P:P

http://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/acatalog..._Gold_Leaf.html

Edible Gold and Silver leaf... without doubt the most opulent food garnish.Gold and Silver leaf has been used for centuries, not only for decoration of fine art objects but also for the decoration of food.

Our range of Edible Gold & Silver products are designed specifically for the decoration of food and beverages and allow you to transfer to your table all the magic of these precious materials, bringing an ancient Renaissance tradition back to life.

Suitable for the decoration of Wedding Cakes, Chocolates, Fruit, Marzipan, Champagne cocktails , Indian cuisine - your imagination is the only limitation! 23 ct Edible leaf is manufactured with extreme care and controls and adheres to the FDA guidelines of edibility. Edible leaf has no taste or smell but has a very luxurious appearance.

All of the products have safety certification, are Halal and Kosher

Edible Gold and Silver are classified as Natural Food Additives. Gold being classified as E175 and Silver as E174

------------------------

Halal and Kosher...........thats all right then :rolleyes:

But apparently these are getting more popular in the city - bonus season cometh ?

£62.50 for a gram of edible gold.

Ebay is much cheaper;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-Sheets-24-Karat-...5#ht_3196wt_916