Is it realistic to think you'd be able to 1. get a plane, 2. get on it (and off it) with loads of physical gold, 3. use that gold easily as a practical currency anywhere - in the event of a societal collapse? I'm not so sure...

You have a good point - however, there will be gold dealers who will buy your gold from you.

What's the alternative at the moment - hold onto your US$$?? :):rolleyes:

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Gold vs the Fed is like Ali vs Foreman. Gold is stood there soaking up blow after blow without weakening. The Fed is getting tired and can't keep up the pummeling for much longer. Pretty soon, it's rope-a-dope time.

No the Fed aint as good as Foreman - if Foreman had used the right tactics on the night he could have probably beaten Ali (wouldn't have got near him when he was in his prime though)

whereas the Fed has ultimately got no chance

More like Sugar Ray Robinson vs Les Dennis

Dow up today

your havin a laugh

With my fairly naive mind, I'm amazed that we are seeing a dow bounce and commodity sell off today. I feel I've been smartly put in my place by the big boys.

took a big hit today on silver- stopped out and down £2k (wiped out gains basically). Arrogantly thought we'd seen the last of sub $20 fluctuations. Now my natural caution is raising its head and I wonder whether I should've just stuck with gold, which has been resistant to the sell off and is climbing again as we speak.

I know, I know, long term view and all that, but I have a reward dependent, harm avoidant personality and days like this bring out the blubbing child in me.

Is anyone else a little ashamed at the lack of vision UK traders are showing at the moment. It's almost as if they know they should pull the plug and sell, but have to wait for confirmation from their US mentors before they actually do. It's like they have no mind of their own, the FTSE should, in reality be another few hundred down by now, and no doubt will be this afternoon when NY opens. Why UK traders don't have the balls to play the facts is beyond me.

Given where the Dow is now, maybe they should have held their nerve longer?

With my fairly naive mind, I'm amazed that we are seeing a dow bounce and commodity sell off today. I feel I've been smartly put in my place by the big boys.

took a big hit today on silver- stopped out and down £2k (wiped out gains basically). Arrogantly thought we'd seen the last of sub $20 fluctuations. Now my natural caution is raising its head and I wonder whether I should've just stuck with gold, which has been resistant to the sell off and is climbing again as we speak.

I know, I know, long term view and all that, but I have a reward dependent, harm avoidant personality and days like this bring out the blubbing child in me.

this should help

Silver prediction

You have a good point - however, there will be gold dealers who will buy your gold from you.

What's the alternative at the moment - hold onto your US$$?? :):rolleyes:

In the event of societal collapse, people with guns may well take it off you. Just who would you trust?

No the Fed aint as good as Foreman - if Foreman had used the right tactics on the night he could have probably beaten Ali (wouldn't have got near him when he was in his prime though)

whereas the Fed has ultimately got no chance

More like Sugar Ray Robinson vs Les Dennis

Bought a dvd recently that had the Ali v Foreman fight on it. It was hot, and Foreman who was used to knocking them down in 2 rounds or less, just punched himself out of it. Ali was amazing though, but paid for it later.

Quite fancy watching Sugar Ray v Les Dennis. Pro celebrity boxing, surprised Sky haven't jumped on the idea.

Given where the Dow is now, maybe they should have held their nerve longer?

They may get it back tomorrow.

You have basically traded the market and therefore have been screwed over by it. You shouldn't do that. Buy on the dips (or otherwise) and hold. Anything else could end in tears. And buy physical. Much more difficult to part with it. :)

Volatility will further increase.

Bought a dvd recently that had the Ali v Foreman fight on it. It was hot, and Foreman who was used to knocking them down in 2 rounds or less, just punched himself out of it. Ali was amazing though, but paid for it later.

Quite fancy watching Sugar Ray v Les Dennis. Pro celebrity boxing, surprised Sky haven't jumped on the idea.

thing about Ali is, his best years were probably when he was banned, a lot of people think Sugar Ray Robinson was the best pound for pound boxer, but i believe someone has timed both their jabs based on the number of frames (film) and Ali's jab was as fast as Robinson's and he's a heavyweight.

You have basically traded the market and therefore have been screwed over by it. You shouldn'y do that. Buy on the dips (or otherwise) and hold. Anything else could end in tears. And buy physical. Much more difficult to part with it. :)

Today is a perfect example of why physical metals should be your core holdings. You are less likely to be spooked out of physical. Selling it is not as easy as tapping a few keystrokes.

You have basically traded the market and therefore have been screwed over by it. You shouldn'y do that. Buy on the dips (or otherwise) and hold. Anything else could end in tears. And buy physical. Much more difficult to part with it. :)

Yes I am occasionally drawn to increasing physical (have a very small amount at the moment),but am concerned re: liquidating quickly if necessary. Of course ETFs are an alternative but with the current situation I am minded to sell my ETF holdings in case of further system failures, rather than add to them. I have gold mining shares as well, but these are vulnerable too over the next 6-12 months IMO. I hold a lot of cash after STR and will need this to buy a house, so being exposed to a sudden large correction in PMs while holding a lot of physical would potentially wipe me out. Bugger.

Say, on a Monday morning you wake up, and the stake of $1bn you owned in an investment bank has just been revalued at $12million. Unfortunately, you have just bought this appartment for $50million (after all, you have until Sunday night been a billionaire) with a really good super-jumbo mortgage deal. However, your mortgage bank has read the news as well and you receive a margin call. You have no income, since you're retired. Your equity is minus $38million, you get repossessed and go bankrupt.

You'll be seen collecting cans & tins on Wall Street briefly afterwards.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Goldman's Cohen Replaced as Chief S&P 500 Forecaster (Update2)

By Lynn Thomasson

March 17 (Bloomberg) -- Abby Joseph Cohen, the second-most bullish Wall Street strategist at the start of the year, was replaced by Goldman Sachs Group Inc. as the chief forecaster for the U.S. stock market.

Cohen, 56, gave up the title of chief investment strategist and will no longer make predictions for the Standard & Poor's 500 Index in her new role as senior investment strategist, Goldman spokesman Ed Canaday said in an interview. David Kostin will make the calls as U.S. investment strategist.

Another delusionist bites the dust.

This is the fate I foresee for John "gold will crash" Nadler.

Whats with today's action in the DOW?? Is this the world's most manipulated market? I mean who in their right mind would be buying big right now?

Absolutley stinks of PPT intervention.

I'm not so sure the PPT could create the sheer volume that's been seen today... 1.99billion shares traded on the NYSE according to Bloomberg TV a few moments ago.

To understand why the markets reacted the way they did today you only need to watch Bloomberg. "Mainstream" folks don't seem to look at the world the way "we" do. An analyst 20 mins ago was arguing that:

- The Fed has come out and said they'll do whatever it takes to help the banks.

- With The Fed on-side, Banks are therefore good investments.

and

- The current crisis is a liquidity crisis.

- The long-term prospects for banks are still good.

... most folks don't see this money-creation thing as a problem.

Following the same logic, days like today scream "Oh jeez... Recession's coming". If a recession comes then there is less demand for oil, copper and other commodities. Ergo prices should fall.

(IMO, Gold and Silver aren't commodities)

As the saying goes - "know your enemy" - it's really worthwhile taking the time to follow the mainstream financial media, especially US financial media (Bloomberg, Fox, et al) to understand why the markets sometimes move out of line with your expectations.

Say, on a Monday morning you wake up, and the stake of $1bn you owned in an investment bank has just been revalued at $12million. Unfortunately, you have just bought this appartment for $50million (after all, you have until Sunday night been a billionaire) with a really good super-jumbo mortgage deal. However, your mortgage bank has read the news as well and you receive a margin call. You have no income, since you're retired. Your equity is minus $38million, you get repossessed and go bankrupt.

You'll be seen collecting cans & tins on Wall Street briefly afterwards.

Yes, I think I get the message - hold assets rather than promises to pay. My problem is that the only real asset I'm interested in holding is property and I don't have the guts to put a 50% deposit sized chunk of cash into physical gold/silver. Give me 10-20% off property and I'd jump in there, crash or no crash, since holding a property asset with manageable debt at 15% beats holding cash evey time for me. I see my PM investments as insurance for my fiat rather than 'wealth'. This position, of course, may be calamitous for me if I have underinsured.

Yes I am occasionally drawn to increasing physical (have a very small amount at the moment),but am concerned re: liquidating quickly if necessary. Of course ETFs are an alternative but with the current situation I am minded to sell my ETF holdings in case of further system failures, rather than add to them. I have gold mining shares as well, but these are vulnerable too over the next 6-12 months IMO. I hold a lot of cash after STR and will need this to buy a house, so being exposed to a sudden large correction in PMs while holding a lot of physical would potentially wipe me out. Bugger.

Investing in PMs is not designed to be easy, apart from ETFs of course. The volatility is induced to shake you out of your position, especially when using stops.

GBP.

I'm sure it would if I understood it! <_<

So, the blue line is just CPI (or perhaps RPI looking at the 4%-ish it's at now), but I don't understand the red line. '10-year Treasury Constant Maturity Rate'?

Talk about out of my depth! :lol:

I see someone has already explained it :D

All you need to look at is "sell gold" and "buy gold" :lol:

It's currently on "Buy gold" :D :D

The author on iTulip said something like "we've written it so the slow readers can get the point" :lol: