unlikely IMO given that the USD entered hyper-inflation in late June

post-2733-1259757183_thumb.png

If your definition of Hyper-Inflation is exponential money printing then are you not saying that the UK entered Hyperinflation at around the same time?

Not wanting to open up the whole definitions argument again, just wanting to make sure I read that message as it was intended, as clearly the US is not experiencing price inflation yet.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

No-one seems to have commented on the (possible) link between the obvious imperial over-reach of the US in Afghanistan - another 30 000 men going into the meat-grinder and the desire to own gold and silver as evidenced by 1200 USD. I see a lot of comments and opinions based on charts but very little on the bigger picture.

Things could go ballastic once the hot money jumps in.... I'll keep my eyes on the gold/silver ratio as a guide as opposed to prices. When the ratio nears 50 will jump to gold with say a half my silver while both keeping some and also selling some to raise more dollars. Will not sell any serious amount of gold.

The faster it goes up, the greater the likelihood of a sudden reversal at a later date.

Yep I would tend to agree with that. I am looking for the blow off top and then hopefully we will get a strong pullback to the $1000 area and a buying opportunity

I remember David Morgan saying that he always keeps a core position of 75% invested in gold and trades in and out on rallies and pullbacks. This is what i do as i always have the core position to fall back on if i get it badly wrong

I will answer this question the way the shills of wall street do when asked. Gold is going higher, however in the short term correct; or, Gold is going lower, however in the short term continue its rally.

Also, how about the media whore and wall street shill Gartman. His new fund is supposed to be market neutral, which means it doesn't go up or down with the market. I have a market neutral fund which does not have any fees or counter party risk. It's called a mattress.

:lol::lol::lol:

Dont you just love the shills? They have that uncanny knack of being able to talk constantly and say (and commit) to absolutley nothing!

That's a big call. Care to extrapolate? :)

I think we could get into the band probably somewhere roughly the £1275 - £1350 region between now and late spring 2010.

Gold could of course blast through that area or fall short of it but that is where I plan to exit.

I'll be watching the monthly RSI. 90 appears to be a significant topping area.

It's always fun to make an arse of myself in public (:blink:), so... Sure! Why not? :)

Gold will go more or less sideways for about a month (although, it may be pretty choppy, so it won't feel like sideways necessarily), then there'll be another jump early in the new year, then a slower climb up to a local top around the end of Q1 -- at which point, I would expect to see £850/oz (I was going to say £900 knowing that what seems like 'wild prices' now can seem almost normal when they arrive, e.g. how wild did $1200-before-year-end seem a couple of weeks ago?). In dollars, it'll be more like $1400 or so by then[1].

Cant argue with that scenario

*places d*ck on block* :unsure:

:lol::lol: I look forward to hearing the sound of a dull thud followed by a high pitched scream!!! :lol::lol:

[1] And if you believe all that, you can knit fog... I sounded pretty confident, though, didn't I, eh, eh? :lol:

:lol: As i get older, I have learned that the more authoritative the person sounds (think politican/media shill/the boss), the less i tend to listen to them!

I think we could get into the band probably somewhere roughly the £1275 - £1350 region between now and late spring 2010.

Gold could of course blast through that area or fall short of it but that is where I plan to exit.

What would you sell it for [genuine question]? Sterling, dollars, Yen or property?

And would I be right in guessing you are now near 100% invested in bullion? :)

Obviously that makes you a trader. The downside risk is not only price action, but generally parting with your physical position.

Gold_USD_LOG_GUESS.png

Obviously that makes you a trader. The downside risk is not only price action, but generally parting with your physical position.

Not a trader, just cashing in on a few profits as I'm moving to the states in early 2011 and bought gold in the $600's... Also I'm not sure they will allow me to bring that many coins to the USA. :lol:

I'm still holding firm on the rest of my gold and silver position. I think this bull has many many years left.

What would you sell it for [genuine question]? Sterling, dollars, Yen or property?

And would I be right in guessing you are now near 100% invested in bullion? :)

Going to move 50% of my gold stash into Dollars as I'm moving there. I also think the USD will be strong for quite a while during the next phase of the economic bear market.

I have around 80% of my wealth in precious metals. I've accumulated Dollars over the last few months.

Why Is HSBC Backing Out Of The Gold Storage Business?

Posted: Dec 02 2009 By: Jim Sinclair Post Edited: December 2, 2009 at 12:13 am

Filed under: General Editorial

Dear Friends,

I still am plagued by the question, WHY?

You make more money from investor accounts than you ever will from large commercials in the same amount of space.

Storage is space times charges which equals revenue. After that it is all computerized billing and confirmation.

With gold climbing steadily higher while showing signs that presage a ballistic move upwards, I have to conclude that there is a problem in the gold market itself stirring below sight that the community has little or no idea about.

We have reviewed all the present and potential economic problems and know them better here than anywhere else.

I told you a long time ago that there are times when the hair stands up on the back of my neck. This is how gamblers in the final analysis know when to hold or fold them. This is what Bert Seligman and Jesse Livermore had that no one since then has had.

The story that small clients are not wanted would not require multiple Brinks trucks. Small coin and bullion deliveries are made by US mail.

What does HSBC know that is the basis for wanting to get rid of good business? It has been reported that HSBC storage internationally has been backing out of the gold business for awhile.

Why?

I smell delivery problems not just from HSBC, but maybe widespread.

I wonder if there might be a problem with authenticity. I wonder if exchanges have ever questioned the authenticity of their warehouse stock.

We live in a soulless, depraved world. Every possible scam has taken place.

Depending on whether the subject is gold or silver, reports indicate scammers are mixing a different ratio of lead/tungsten to match the density of gold or silver and putting it in the inside of the hollowed-out bar. The only way to detect it is by drilling or by gamma ray scanning.

We know coins have been adulterated for years. That is why we do not buy other than from well established coin dealers.

Regards,

Jim

Why Is HSBC Backing Out Of The Gold Storage Business?

Posted: Dec 02 2009 By: Jim Sinclair Post Edited: December 2, 2009 at 12:13 am

Filed under: General Editorial

Dear Friends,

I still am plagued by the question, WHY?

You make more money from investor accounts than you ever will from large commercials in the same amount of space.

Storage is space times charges which equals revenue. After that it is all computerized billing and confirmation.

With gold climbing steadily higher while showing signs that presage a ballistic move upwards, I have to conclude that there is a problem in the gold market itself stirring below sight that the community has little or no idea about.

We have reviewed all the present and potential economic problems and know them better here than anywhere else.

I told you a long time ago that there are times when the hair stands up on the back of my neck. This is how gamblers in the final analysis know when to hold or fold them. This is what Bert Seligman and Jesse Livermore had that no one since then has had.

The story that small clients are not wanted would not require multiple Brinks trucks. Small coin and bullion deliveries are made by US mail.

What does HSBC know that is the basis for wanting to get rid of good business? It has been reported that HSBC storage internationally has been backing out of the gold business for awhile.

Why?

I smell delivery problems not just from HSBC, but maybe widespread.

I wonder if there might be a problem with authenticity. I wonder if exchanges have ever questioned the authenticity of their warehouse stock.

We live in a soulless, depraved world. Every possible scam has taken place.

Depending on whether the subject is gold or silver, reports indicate scammers are mixing a different ratio of lead/tungsten to match the density of gold or silver and putting it in the inside of the hollowed-out bar. The only way to detect it is by drilling or by gamma ray scanning.

We know coins have been adulterated for years. That is why we do not buy other than from well established coin dealers.

Regards,

Jim

I am starting to question some of the opinions of Sinclair of late. He is showing a complete ignorance of metallurgy when he talks about 'mixing lead and tungsten'. Simple thermal or electrical tests are sufficient for testing - no need for drilling or radiation. He says 'we know coins have been adulterated for years' - really? I have never seen an adulterated coin - and a dealer I know has not either. Why is Sinclair deliberately trying to instill doubt into people's minds with this misinformation?

Perhaps he is behind 'well established coin dealers' and wants you to buy from him!

Edit: Silver has a density of 10.5 and lead is 11.35 so I would like to see how the density of silver can be matched by a 'mixture of lead and tungsten' when tungsten has a density of 19.25!!

I agree with you on the point you've made, but in fairness bogus coins do exist albeit at the wrong weight. The only reason I really posted it was Sinclair's bothered by HSBC's business decision, which I have to agree is odd given recent parabolic market moves.

I am starting to question some of the opinions of Sinclair of late. He is showing a complete ignorance of metallurgy when he talks about 'mixing lead and tungsten'. Simple thermal or electrical tests are sufficient for testing - no need for drilling or radiation. He says 'we know coins have been adulterated for years' - really? I have never seen an adulterated coin - and a dealer I know has not either. Why is Sinclair deliberately trying to instill doubt into people's minds with this misinformation?

Perhaps he is behind 'well established coin dealers' and wants you to buy from him!

Edit: Silver has a density of 10.5 and lead is 11.35 so I would like to see how the density of silver can be matched by a 'mixture of lead and tungsten' when tungsten has a density of 19.25!!

Gold on the BBC website

Gold hits yet another record high.

The price of gold has struck yet another record high as the dollar continues to weaken.Renewed vigour in early trading in London pushed gold to a new high of $1,217.23 an ounce. It has hit a number of new highs in recent weeks.

Other precious metals have also rallied strongly. Silver, at $19 dollars an ounce, is 5% off its all-time high.

Demand for gold is being driven by two main factors - a weak dollar and investors' appetite for safe assets.

The price of gold is not just at a record in dollar terms, but in yen, euro and sterling terms too.

Three golden rules

Gold is a commodity that investors rush to in times of uncertainty - what is often referred to as a flight to safety. This week, investors pulled their money from shares after Dubai World reignited fears about bank lending by calling for an extension on its debt repayments.

Investors with large dollar holdings - including countries' central banks - have focused on gold as a safe investment.

Michael Hewson, an analyst at CMC Markets, said central banks in China, Russia and India had all looked to protect themselves against economic uncertainty.

"It is a store of value while investors have serious doubts about the global financial system - it's something that is not going to lose its value like a currency," he said.

Another key reason behind the sharp increase in the gold price is the fall in the value of the dollar. The US has said it will maintain low interest rates for some time, which makes the dollar less attractive to investors.

The dollar has fallen by 14% against the pound this year, and by 8% against the euro.

The third reason for the rise is speculation - as the price of gold keeps rising, more investors bet that the price will keep going up.

"Pressure remains on the dollar," said Peter Fertig at Quantitative Commodity Research.

"A weaker dollar is the main driver for gold, alongside speculation that central banks may buy more."

Not amongst the most viewed / shared news items however.

i know what you mean - silver and gold have been used for centuries BECAUSE its easy to detect fakes. its easy to detect when lead has been used for silver and its easy to spot gold fake also (and i'm not convinced anybody anywhere has ever made a tungsten fake - lots of scare stories but no evidence its actually happened, or even possible/easy to do)

:blink: Perhaps they really did manage to turn lead into gold :lol:

If your definition of Hyper-Inflation is exponential money printing then are you not saying that the UK entered Hyperinflation at around the same time?

Not wanting to open up the whole definitions argument again, just wanting to make sure I read that message as it was intended, as clearly the US is not experiencing price inflation yet.

your interpretation of my post is correct.