cgnao's predicting a (temporary?) hammering for gold... I'm sure he could be right, but I'm leaving my holdings as they are.

Any views on GBP's bounce-back today? I guess it was just "over-sold" yesterday... but have been offline so haven't seen any news coverage today.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

cgnao's predicting a (temporary?) hammering for gold... I'm sure he could be right, but I'm leaving my holdings as they are.

Any views on GBP's bounce-back today? I guess it was just "over-sold" yesterday... but have been offline so haven't seen any news coverage today.

++ Sterling rallied this morning because interest cuts for the coming months has been pared back because of higher CPI numbers this am.

++ Miners selling off because Bernanke is going to speaking soon.

1% from Bad Bennie and we're off to the races again.

Oh, HPC wants to stop the discussions on Gold but annoying posters keep generating new threads.

GOLD TO CRASH TO $600

now then I will be a buyer (edit to add - as long as we dont have interest rates that are above inflation)

Markets move in cycles. The technical scenario in gold has turned bearish with severe momentum divergences. A sharp rally in US Dollar and a crash in gold and other precious metals markets are imminent.

Hilarious. The author better let Bernanke know before he slashes interest rates - again!

Happy days are here again :D

The dow crashes yesterday on the bad news,

today it goes up on Lehman getting rescued from their other buddie banks/fed

All the CBs are doing is to give the markets short-term boosts and then back to reality... This game may still last for a few weeks/months but these liquidity injections and interest rate cuts will not solve the fact that probably most of the banks are insolvent...

The DOW has priced in a large rate cut today by the look of things. If they don't get what they want it could be carnage. I'm feeling fairly (maybe overly) tense about this one. So many people are looking for direction from today's rate announcement that the moves (either way) could be huge.

Rubber underpants ON.

GOLD TO CRASH TO $600

now then I will be a buyer (edit to add - as long as we dont have interest rates that are above inflation)

Idiotic. Looks at one element of the market in a totally blinkered fashion and disregards the impact of anything else, as if Indian demand is the sole driver of the gold price.

And I've seen nothing from any of the presidential candidates to suggest any change in fiscal policy. Not a shred of evidence, and I follow such things very closely.

The author is probably a jeweler suffering from a little too much wishful thinking.

GOLD TO CRASH TO $600

Quoting other posters at $600 I would "fill my boots".

I missed the boat at $600, $700, $800 and $900. Initially because I'm new to investing and was/am risk averse Subsequently because I was too indecisive. Currently I am waiting on a reasonable pull back after which I will most definately buy lots of nice shiny coins.

0.75 cut

lets see how wall street reacts

Commentators are already saying this leaves room open for more cuts over the next few months. We may not get the gold spike today, but this move may have prolonged the longevity of the upmove before it hits a significant correction.

Edit: And in my opinion it also makes a large correction less likely. Who, apart from price managers, is going to sell with the clear prospect of more cuts around the corner? A full 1% would have said 'that's it boys, your getting no more'. .75% says 'we're keeping some dry powder for the future'.

A prime example of the power of expectation management. A few months ago the dollar would have dived and gold would have rocketed on a .75% cut. Because of the way this has been spun over the past few weeks, the Fed can actually claim that this was a prudent, inflation fighting move, just because they didn't go all out with a full 1%.

Pure sophistry, but effective nonetheless.

Text of Fed Statement on Rate Cut

Inflation has been elevated, and some indicators of inflation expectations have risen. The Committee expects inflation to moderate in coming quarters, reflecting a projected leveling-out of energy and other commodity prices and an easing of pressures on resource utilization. Still, uncertainty about the inflation outlook has increased. It will be necessary to continue to monitor inflation developments carefully.

CONTINUE >>>

:o

Why waste your time Mr Bernanke?