• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

This is officially the end for Swiss banking secrecy, only the Swiss lower house can preserve the status quo, I think.

By the way, AL&K, I ventured to look at your response to me (just ventured to view a single post from you, as I have you routinely blocked!) and found it ignorant, arrogant and repulsive. I reported it. You are a troll. I will NEVER look at a post of yours again. I sincerely hope you are chucked off this board.

Swiss upper house approves five bank data deals

Another nail in the coffin for Switzerland. I am seriously considering moving vault to Hong Kong on GM...

Does anyone know what the tax agreement between the the UK and Hong Kong is? Persumably not as bad as Switzerland at the moment right? Or were the 'if you don't hold it, you don't own it' brigade right all along? Decisions, decisions...

There will come a time when I won't trust BV and GM, but we're not there yet IMO. Be careful of costs, it is likely to cost you many ounces to TX to HK.

Another nail in the coffin for Switzerland. I am seriously considering moving vault to Hong Kong on GM...

Does anyone know what the tax agreement between the the UK and Hong Kong is? Persumably not as bad as Switzerland at the moment right? Or were the 'if you don't hold it, you don't own it' brigade right all along? Decisions, decisions...

Supposedly i have been suspended for 14 days..........

Nevermind. You'll have plenty of time to dig out a Dow:Ciggies ratio or perhaps a Dow:Spam ratio. What about a Property:Ciggies ratio, too? I would be interested in an 18 yr old Malt:Property index, perhaps I have drunk an average house away over the years... Anyhow it would be interesting to see the 'facts'. ;)

Faber's latest media appearance... We have a new gold standard

Ok, an emotive link title, it was only a soundbite. But it is his clarity of thought that I like. He keeps it simple and I think the simple answers are usually the best.

All currencies are crap.

<link doesn't work for me in Firefox, but is ok in IE>

So many doomsters on this thread. I'm just looking for a good old-fashioned depression... not the end of the world. :lol:

Some of the scenarios people are preparing themselves for aren't once in a hundred year events, they are The Big One - and I mean beyond the Great Depression. Statistically it is possible, but given the chances...well it's not a trade I'd be interested in.

You might as well position yourself to profit from the arrival of ET. Great if ET does show up, but given the chances of it, I wouldn't be holding my breath...

Gold right now is just protection from the devaluation of cash. Nothing more.

Faber's latest media appearance... We have a new gold standard

Ok, an emotive link title, it was only a soundbite. But it is his clarity of thought that I like. He keeps it simple and I think the simple answers are usually the best.

All currencies are crap.

<link doesn't work for me in Firefox, but is ok in IE>

"I think that the oil price would rather go up than down. I think oil stocks would perform rather well, by the way also mining companies," Faber said.

Investors should have a minimum of 50 percent of their money in emerging economies because these are growing much faster than the developed world, he recommended.

Treasurys to Yield 10-20%

An extreme bubble in US Treasurys has been deflated for the moment and yields are likely to rise sharply over the next years, Faber told CNBC.com separately

I think Faber over-estimates the power of governments to devalue currencies in a deflation. This causes him to under-estimate currencies and advise people to buy stocks, oil, commodities etc when they should be doing the opposite. Highly doubt US treasuries will be at 20% anytime soon. Agree with him on gold though... investors should be divesting themselves of assets and buying gold, dollars.... and shock horror maybe a few treasuries.

Developed economies are in a liquidity trap, and capital will seek to survive by exiting to the most liquid forms; gold, dollars and treasuries. For now, many investors [besides commentators] are fooled by Bernanke's bogeyman of helicopter money. That, and having been habituated to chase a return on money.

Exetersinversepyramid.jpg

No.

Just wondered why, not seen a steep dive like that in a while.

Maybe something to do with high market volume on quadruple witching. Could see some buying of dollar denominated assets pushing the dollar up a little. Investors in Euroland must be a little nervous at the mo.

I clicked on your link after my post, it does look more exaggerated in those charts.

India increases rates 0.25% due to a 16 month high in inflation and gold sells off... :D I am deffo a buyer if this carries on; with the overdraft!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...brvC0&pos=1

The benchmark wholesale-price inflation rate touched 9.89 percent in February, according to the commerce ministry.

I guess you could short lower than 1050,target 850/900 go long above 1250 breakout target 1650?

It seems like the market is making it's mind up, but you would have to say we are in a gold bull market and the trend is up ?

ML

You could say gold is in a bull market. You could also say gold is a strengthening currency. I wouldn't short gold because it is so unpredictable. And I wouldn't be concerned if it dipped to 3 digits again as would just consider it a consolidation before going on to new heights.

When you consider gold a measure of value [a currency] rather than a reservoir of value [a commodity, or asset] then dips in prices are no more than fluctuations that are seen in all currencies. Maybe what we should do is price the dollar in terms of gold and watch the dollar fluctuate. As gold becomes increasingly monetized, I imagine that is what we will do, and the price of gold will increasingly be seen as the price of the dollar. This conceptual revolution should culminate in a new gold standard due to currencies becoming increasingly unstable. The fix will be pegging currencies to gold at the appropriate levels.

You could say gold is in a bull market. You could also say gold is a strengthening currency. I wouldn't short gold because it is so unpredictable. And I wouldn't be concerned if it dipped to 3 digits again as would just consider it a consolidation before going on to new heights.

When you consider gold a measure of value [a currency] rather than a reservoir of value [a commodity] then dips in prices are no more than fluctuations that are seen in all currencies. Maybe what we should do is price the dollar in terms of gold and watch the dollar fluctuate. As gold becomes increasingly monetized, I imagine that is what we will do, and the price of gold will increasingly be seen as the price of the dollar. This conceptual revolution should culminate in a new gold standard due to currencies becoming increasingly unstable. The fix will be pegging currencies to gold at the appropriate levels.

I see what you are saying but don't agree, we have to deal with the here and now, gold is a tangible store of wealth, and has been for thousands of years, it is one of very few things I see as cheap at the moment, houses, shares bonds all look dear ?

Being late to the party I would love it to drop lower in price then I could further join in ! I suspect though it wont and in 12months time now may be seen as a good buying oppourtunity?

Who knows?

Do you mind me asking what is your average in price for your holdings ?

Regards

ML