Jump to content

Recommended Posts

At least its contained.......... :lol:

 

Fresh pile of Sterling cash here destined for gold. Pretty much feeling like you right now Ret45. Ultimately this is not the top for gold so if we go down from here it will be temporary. A disciplined averaging in approach seems like the best compromise.

 

are you averaging in right now DS? Same situation here, I can't bring myself to buy at these levels though - even though I keep telling myself it's the sensible move!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plenty of posters here saying they could not bring themselves to buy at £500 a few years ago...

I'm 50% in Gold and Silver, 50% in Sterling - started buying metals 2yrs ago andvery glad I did. May bite the bullet an go all in... I'm talking GoldMoney here, I've no physical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm 50% in Gold and Silver, 50% in Sterling - started buying metals 2yrs ago andvery glad I did. May bite the bullet an go all in... I'm talking GoldMoney here, I've no physical.

 

Good luck - I have a small position at BV - I wound it down over the last few years to a level where if I logged on one day and found 'error 404 site not found', I would be peeved but not devastated. I may be a little premature but I now only feel comfortable with physical possession.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm 50% in Gold and Silver, 50% in Sterling - started buying metals 2yrs ago andvery glad I did. May bite the bullet an go all in... I'm talking GoldMoney here, I've no physical.

As I mentioned elsewhere my dependents weren't comfortable going all in when we were sub 500GBP :(

So I averaged in 50% of our STR fund while the rest remained in Sterling

Now they understand what the likely fate of Sterling is and what's happening to all fiat currencies.

Now we have blasted thru 800GBP I have the green light to go all in....

Aaaaarrrggghhhhh!!! why does it take high prices before folks want to buy in!!!

Anyhoo i'm now averaging the rest in right here right now.

Not trying to time it as I've seen even the pros make right royal c*ck up of that.

Plain and simple set amount of Sterling in to gold same time every week/month till I/we are all in.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Sounds like there is a lot of us in the same boat, waiting for a dip so we can add to our stash. The one thing I've learned about gold over the past couple of years is that a dip always comes along eventually. If we get back down to $1150 I'll be buying. The only worrying thing is that the level of volume of physical buying has gone through the roof...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sounds like there is a lot of us in the same boat, waiting for a dip so we can add to our stash. The one thing I've learned about gold over the past couple of years is that a dip always comes along eventually. If we get back down to $1150 I'll be buying. The only worrying thing is that the level of volume of physical buying has gone through the roof...

What if the dip is from $1400 to $1260?

 

I think its possibly unwise to set a firm i will not buy above this price target especially if you haven't accumulated a "from my cold dead hands" core position yet. Simply add on any and all price weakness regardless of where that dip is to.

 

I remember the dip to 680GBP and folks were mostly saying here we go deleveraing again sub 500 is a distinct possibility. No one knew 100% what would happen. All I knew was we were sitting on huge price weakness and that must be bought regardless of price. Looks good sitting here at 840.

 

EDIT: I am averaging in more Sterling right now in a disciplined every week/month approach regardless of price. However, if we see massive price weakness in between my buy dates I will bring a purchase forward to buy weakness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's 900 nicker for real gold, people!

 

Panda, verschiedene Jgg. / different years, 1oz Gold 31.10 Gramm GBP 902.88

Nugget verschiedene Jgg. / different years, 1oz Gold 31.10 Gramm GBP 900.32

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'ello 'ello 'ello...Gold oz's next...

 

"When criminals want to move a bulk of cash inside the UK and, more importantly, out of the UK, one of the best ways to do that is to reduce the bulk massively both physically and in terms of the risks they pose of discovery," said Mr Cruxton.

 

"The 500 euro note is really the note of choice among criminals.

 

"It should now be impossible now to buy a 500 note over the counter from one of the suppliers. And that's going to have an effect on the criminals - it means they are going to have to find other means of trying to move their money."

 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8678886.stm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What if the dip is from $1400 to $1260?

 

I think its possibly unwise to set a firm i will not buy above this price target especially if you haven't accumulated a "from my cold dead hands" core position yet. Simply add on any and all price weakness regardless of where that dip is to.

 

I remember the dip to 680GBP and folks were mostly saying here we go deleveraing again sub 500 is a distinct possibility. No one knew 100% what would happen. All I knew was we were sitting on huge price weakness and that must be bought regardless of price. Looks good sitting here at 840.

 

EDIT: I am averaging in more Sterling right now in a disciplined every week/month approach regardless of price. However, if we see massive price weakness in between my buy dates I will bring a purchase forward to buy weakness.

 

Clearly what you want to avoid is to average in now. I would be averaging out now as in sterling terms gold is approximately 1.24 x its 200 day moving average. At every peak in gold prices in this gold bull sterling gold has peaked at about 1.28. So yes there is abit more upside, but there is also alot of downside. We are also coming in to the summer doldrums where my guess is gold will fall back to its 200 day moving average. That is the time to reverse the dumper truck and invest heavily.

 

I am planning on selling half my gold stash at 1.28 x 200 day moving average which i think will be at the end of May beginning of June. It won't go much higher. I will then buy back in over the summer near 200 day ma level.

 

Back in December eveyone was panick buying as they saw gold going vertical. These people bought in at the top and are now only just breaking even. This run won't and cannot last. Buying heavily into peaks is the wrong decision. Averaging in is ofcourse a more sensible option, but averageing in around 200 dma levels is the best strategy. Every serious investor knows you have to sell when everyone is being greedy and buy when everyone is scared. Howveer it is amazing that some people who are serious about investing still get this the wrong way round.

 

When gold hits the 200 day ma level which it will and does every 6 months or so (last time back in Feb 2010) everyone is mega bearish, talking about deflation etc. That is the time to ramp up. Also sterling is low and is likely to strengthen from here as the deficit cut measures are announced and put into an accelerated action plan and focus moves to the US deficit.

 

Basically now is the time to be watching you existing stash peak and enjoy the ride but be preparing to sell half your stash into the peak and enjoy seeing the stuff drop knowing you have a big pile of cash waiting to catch it when it hiots the bottom of its run.

 

I have been doing this for 2.5 years and my % gains are very much larger compared to what they would have been if I had just stayed invested in gold and not traded half out at the peaks. The key is understanding the price relative to its 200 day ma not just in nominal terms.

 

See essays on zealllc.com as these are an excellent source and have helped me.

 

ps apologies to all for teaching to suck eggs as I know their are alot of people on here who know much more than me about investing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am planning on selling half my gold stash at 1.28 x 200 day moving average which i think will be at the end of May beginning of June. It won't go much higher. I will then buy back in over the summer near 200 day ma level.

 

Fair play if that's how you wish to approach it.

And normally I might attempt the same thing except these are far from "normal" times.

 

Will you be selling gold for GBP? The collapse of GBP appears to be in full swing (1.46 vs USD and declining) so 200day ma level over the summer (after you May/June sell point) could well be the price we are at now. Who knows... the price today is almost certainly not the top so averaging in now while it might not be the optimal path you are most likely still going to make money over the next year anyway.

 

Anyway just food for thought and best of luck with your approach.

 

EDIT: i notice others were selling "into the top" when we were at 813 but now we are at 843! So err not much of a top really. As I say each to their own. However, I would strongly caution against anyone trading their STR fund out of gold and back in to Sterling. The risks just look way too great for my tastes regardless of what the technicals are saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"a few years ago..."

 

£500 was about 18 months ago actually :rolleyes:

 

 

You must have a different BV chart or calendar from me. March 08 - around 500 GBP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just completed an iregular flat correction and embarking on the next 5 wave impulse, next stop $1276.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fair play if that's how you wish to approach it.

And normally I might attempt the same thing except these are far from "normal" times.

 

Will you be selling gold for GBP? The collapse of GBP appears to be in full swing (1.46 vs USD and declining) so 200day ma level over the summer (after you May/June sell point) could well be the price we are at now. Who knows... the price today is almost certainly not the top so averaging in now while it might not be the optimal path you are most likely still going to make money over the next year anyway.

 

Anyway just food for thought and best of luck with your approach.

 

EDIT: i notice others were selling "into the top" when we were at 813 but now we are at 843! So err not much of a top really. As I say each to their own. However, I would strongly caution against anyone trading their STR fund out of gold and back in to Sterling. The risks just look way too great for my tastes regardless of what the technicals are saying.

 

It is just finding the optimal point of averaging in and this is definately not it. Most of the peaks have been 1.28 x 200 day ma and one has been 1.34. I recognise thatthe risks of this approach is that selling half at 1.28 would mean missing the rare time it goes to 1.34. If it does go to 1.34 x 200 dma I will sell another 1/4 leaving a quarter. The only other scenario is the the final blow off, but we are years away from that. I also accept that buying in a 200 dma means you risk the events like the 2008 stock market panick where gold went much below its 200 dma. However this is a once in a 100 year event and won't be repeated any time soon.

 

With your approach the stuff you buy now you are likely to be under water for for 3-6 months until we get another spike up in the Autumn. The very fact that you are investing in gold means you are streets ahead of average mom n pops investors but I don't think you are optimising your returns.

 

My approach means you are semi trading gold as I sold into the top at the end of Novemeber and bought in again in Feb so was out of the market in december and January. It is basically contrarian investing as most people were panick buying when I sold and panick selling when I bought.

 

Also you need a buy and sell indicator as otherwise you will never exit and when we get the final blow off you will likely be continuing to average in.

 

These are just my thoughts, I hope you don't see this as pontification as I recognise there is more than 1 way to skin a rabbit in the markets and this is just my approach.

 

All the best with your investing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It is just finding the optimal point of averaging in and this is definately not it. Most of the peaks have been 1.28 x 200 day ma and one has been 1.34. I recognise thatthe risks of this approach is that selling half at 1.28 would mean missing the rare time it goes to 1.34. If it does go to 1.34 x 200 dma I will sell another 1/4 leaving a quarter. The only other scenario is the the final blow off, but we are years away from that. I also accept that buying in a 200 dma means you risk the events like the 2008 stock market panick where gold went much below its 200 dma. However this is a once in a 100 year event and won't be repeated any time soon.

 

With your approach the stuff you buy now you are likely to be under water for for 3-6 months until we get another spike up in the Autumn. The very fact that you are investing in gold means you are streets ahead of average mom n pops investors but I don't think you are optimising your returns.

 

My approach means you are semi trading gold as I sold into the top at the end of Novemeber and bought in again in Feb so was out of the market in december and January. It is basically contrarian investing as most people were panick buying when I sold and panick selling when I bought.

 

Also you need a buy and sell indicator as otherwise you will never exit and when we get the final blow off you will likely be continuing to average in.

 

These are just my thoughts, I hope you don't see this as pontification as I recognise there is more than 1 way to skin a rabbit in the markets and this is just my approach.

 

All the best with your investing.

 

Put your charts away. No chart is going tell you what is about to happen. The fear in streets will become intense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Customer email from Goldmoney:

 

 

G O L D M O N E Y A N N O U N C E M E N T

 

Dear Sir or Madam,

 

The Deutsche Edelmetallgesellschaft and GoldMoney are

pleased to invite you to the

 

"Silver & Gold"

Event

on

Tuesday, 8th June 2010

Start: 19:00 pm (Doors open: 18:40 pm)

 

Venue: Frankfurt am Main, Hotel Monopol, Room Haydn,

Mannheimer Str. 11-13, D60329 Frankfurt a.M.,

Tel. 069 22737-0, directly at central train station

 

Speakers at this event are GoldMoney founder James Turk and

'Silberjunge' Thorsten Schulte. The host speaker will be

DEG-Co-founder Peter Boehringer.

 

Attendance is free for GoldMoney customers. Reservations

can be made (to be guaranteed a place) by Email to

peter.boehringer@edelmetallgesellschaft.de.

 

We look forward to meeting you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It is just finding the optimal point of averaging in and this is definately not it. Most of the peaks have been 1.28 x 200 day ma and one has been 1.34. I recognise thatthe risks of this approach is that selling half at 1.28 would mean missing the rare time it goes to 1.34. If it does go to 1.34 x 200 dma I will sell another 1/4 leaving a quarter. The only other scenario is the the final blow off, but we are years away from that. I also accept that buying in a 200 dma means you risk the events like the 2008 stock market panick where gold went much below its 200 dma. However this is a once in a 100 year event and won't be repeated any time soon.

 

With your approach the stuff you buy now you are likely to be under water for for 3-6 months until we get another spike up in the Autumn. The very fact that you are investing in gold means you are streets ahead of average mom n pops investors but I don't think you are optimising your returns.

 

My approach means you are semi trading gold as I sold into the top at the end of Novemeber and bought in again in Feb so was out of the market in december and January. It is basically contrarian investing as most people were panick buying when I sold and panick selling when I bought.

 

Also you need a buy and sell indicator as otherwise you will never exit and when we get the final blow off you will likely be continuing to average in.

 

These are just my thoughts, I hope you don't see this as pontification as I recognise there is more than 1 way to skin a rabbit in the markets and this is just my approach.

 

All the best with your investing.

Yeah I understand your approach and the rationale. As I said I acknowledge that my approach may not turn out to be optimal. But we are in totally uncharted territory here and I personally think moving out of gold now is too risky. All bets are off and nothing is definite. I bet gold was technically overbought in Zim Dollars etc for a very long time.

 

I have had my sell indicator set for several years now. A house paid in gold/cash with zero mortgage (assuming we are left with country in which I would want to own a house). Given whats happened we have vowed never be wage slaves to the banksters again.

 

All the best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×