We've bounced off the 200dma, I would be buying here. You're unlikely to pick the lowest point of any retracement, so don't try too hard, within 10% of the bottom is fine. Personally £805 sounds like a good CGT free price to me, seize the opportunity. Remember for the moment paper and physical prices are in sync and at some point in the not too distant future, there will be 99 gold contracts chasing every physical ounce. Certainly don't wait 6 months or let a day trader tell you when's best for you to buy your gold.

So is now a good time to buy gold? I mean this month rather than, say, in 6 months.

Can get Britannias for £805. That a good price?

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

We've bounced off the 200dma, I would be buying here. You're unlikely to pick the lowest point of any retracement, so don't try too hard, within 10% of the bottom is fine. Personally £805 sounds like a good CGT free price to me, seize the opportunity. Remember for the moment paper and physical prices are in sync and at some point in the not too distant future, there will be 99 gold contracts chasing every physical ounce. Certainly don't wait 6 months or let a day trader tell you when's best for you to buy your gold.

As a % of your total worth, how much should be gold?

That's really down to personal circumstance and whether you regard gold as a currency or an investment. The advice used to be 10%, but the figure has been rising for a few years now. Some are 100%, but most agree you should just buy the dips.

Depends :P but really, are you covered for housing? Do you have a pension scheme? Debts? Are all your assets in one currency?

For me, against my current situation I have about 30% of TOTAL assets in gold/silver. I own my house and have a final salary pension tied up in (no doubt) exclusively stocks and bonds. Gold seems like the logical hedge for me: if the other things go wrong, gold should be the last man standing. May not necessarily be the same for you. I also like to look at it in the way GF used to: my future earnings need to be hedged too (I am mid-30s), so hopefully a bit to go yet.

Depends :P but really, are you covered for housing? Do you have a pension scheme? Debts? Are all your assets in one currency?

For me, against my current situation I have about 30% of TOTAL assets in gold/silver. I own my house and have a final salary pension tied up in (no doubt) exclusively stocks and bonds. Gold seems like the logical hedge for me: if the other things go wrong, gold should be the last man standing. May not necessarily be the same for you. I also like to look at it in the way GF used to: my future earnings need to be hedged too (I am mid-30s), so hopefully a bit to go yet.

Housing is no issue.

I have a final salary public sector (hiss!) pension scheme.

My assets (as they are) mainly in sterling but also some shares and a little bit of silver.

How do you hedge future earning?

Try to anticipate how much governments will (might) spend and if they are aiming to reduce debt. Perhaps the %age held should be directly proportional to government debt?

Trouble is, some argue the proportion should be 100%, even now.

:o

Try to anticipate how much governments will (might) spend and if they are aiming to reduce debt. Perhaps the %age held should be directly proportional to government debt?

Trouble is, some argue the proportion should be 100%, even now.

:o

That, I believe, is what's called over-kill.

God help them should an artificial way of making gold be discovered.

You do understand what an element is don't you?

It's not a completely stupid statement. We do after all synthesise plutonium (an element) through uranium (another element).

I'm not a particle physicist, but from my massively lay perspective it could be possible to create stable gold atoms by using a similar methodology and bombarding Pt 196 with protons (or Pt 195 with deuterium). It would be horrendously and prohibitively expensive to do so though.

I appreciate what you're saying, but there have been rumours of people being able to create gold for thousands of years. As I understand it, the recent internet rumours aren't acknowledged by the scientific community.

I would like to add, coming on to an established gold thread and making throw away comments about anyone who's 100% invested in gold will lose everything when they synthesize gold is on my troll watch list.

It's not a completely stupid statement. We do after all synthesise plutonium (an element) through uranium (another element).

I'm not a particle physicist, but from my massively lay perspective it could be possible to create stable gold atoms by using a similar methodology and bombarding Pt 196 with protons (or Pt 195 with deuterium). It would be horrendously and prohibitively expensive to do so though.

That, I believe, is what's called over-kill.

God help them should an artificial way of making gold be discovered.

Does it matter? If gold is money and the decide to produce gold from bombarding other precious metals with sub atomic particles or they mine it out of the ground, there is only a finite amount you can produce. When price gets substantially high and it is worth going down the atomic route, they would do just that. However, you need infrastructure for this. Even with the presence of infrastructure, the other precious metals would still be required.

I appreciate what you're saying, but there have been rumours of people being able to create gold for thousands of years. As I understand it, the recent internet rumours aren't acknowledged by the scientific community.

I would like to add, coming on to an established gold thread and making throw away comments about anyone who's 100% invested in gold will lose everything when they synthesize gold is on my troll watch list.

Feel free to go back and read what I said. But please think about it this time...

Does it matter? If gold is money and the decide to produce gold from bombarding other precious metals with sub atomic particles or they mine it out of the ground, there is only a finite amount you can produce. When price gets substantially high and it is worth going down the atomic route, they would do just that. However, you need infrastructure for this. Even with the presence of infrastructure, the other precious metals would still be required.

Granted, but what I'm getting at is diversification.

Anyone who invests all they've got in one thing is a bit silly.

Is another ideal buying oppurtunity approaching ?

When the fed starts printing again will that bring USD Gold down in terms of GBP

Do we jump in before the UK starts Quantative easing 2 ?

I think there is a good chance that 743GBP was the low. But absolutely no one knows whats going to happen for sure. Not even Tom O'Brien whos call for 1037 before hitting 1287 is looking increasingly unlikely. Which is a pity for those who took his sell ALL your gold and go short because my big golden balls tell me this is definitely going to happen approach. That is why if you think gold is a good thing to have in your portfolio you need to be buying a correction all the way down in increasing size.

I bought a small amount at 800 and a larger amount at 748. But im prepared mentally and financially for lower prices if they happen.

Gold is on a 100 GBP discount. Surely that is a buy. Trying to get the exact bottom could see folks price chasing as it moves away from them.

Certainly a buy time for Eurogold investors .

Buy zone 890-920 Euro/ounch. I am buying physical with Euros, gold stocks with dollars on every dip.

Must complete purchases by the end of the month.

Physical is also getting harder to find in my part of the world.

Visited three bank branches to accumulate 10 ounches of gold.