• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

I have some physical, but only a few handfuls of 1-oz. coins, stored in a bank vault.

And a smallish holding at GM.

I am not comfortable holding large amounts of Gold in a bank vault. So if I go "big into physical", I may use GM,

or have to come up with another solution.

I have a friend who lives in HK, who keeps a large amount of Gold in a bank vault in NZ.

But is something disastrous occurred, he needs to get down there before he can use his giold.

I like GLD because I can buy options, and have limited cash invested, carrying a big position.

Believe me, I know how to use leverage. I used to teach options course, at one of the big banks.

So you need not fear I will misuse it.

Question, how much money would you tie up in Gold?

I side with the old adage about 10%. I see gold as insurance more than an investment.

10% is not an awful lot but can ease the pain if the brown stuff hits the air circulating device.

I have some physical, but only a few handfuls of 1-oz. coins, stored in a bank vault.

And a smallish holding at GM.

I am not comfortable holding large amounts of Gold in a bank vault. So if I go "big into physical", I may use GM,

or have to come up with another solution.

I have a friend who lives in HK, who keeps a large amount of Gold in a bank vault in NZ.

But is something disastrous occurred, he needs to get down there before he can use his giold.

I like GLD because I can buy options, and have limited cash invested, carrying a big position.

Believe me, I know how to use leverage. I used to teach options course, at one of the big banks.

So you need not fear I will misuse it.

Question, how much money would you tie up in Gold?

Well good dr as they say a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" or more to the point a few handfuls of of 1oz coins is real and tangable and all the other papery stuff is all ILLUSION SMOKE AND MIRRORS.

I find it difficult to comprehend that you are not comfortable whith holding large amounts of gold in a bank vault(neither would i) but are seemingly fine with holding bits of paper.

How much money would you tie up in Gold.?

IN REAL PHYSICAL METAL THAT IS IN MY OWN POSESSION A LOT MORE THAN YOUR GOOD SELF. ;)

So by "maintain my 65 GLD calls" you mean that you have bought these on leverage!!!

I think anyone who buys on leverage to be a fool. why can't you just invest with what you own?

your gonna loose your shirt one day if you persist with the leverage route. (please take this as good advice not ment as an insult)

Back a few months you said you'd sold all of your gold positions and were sitting on a "big pile of cash"

but now your saying your maintaining 65 gld calls!?

You definatly send out mixed signals.

You seem to hold everything, lots of shorts, lots of longs, lots of cash, lots of gold, lots of property

you tell a story that your making money whatever the markets do.

But your just kidding yourself. You must be losing somewhere but you never mention your losses.

What ever you portfolio spread is, you cant be betting on every direction all the markets take. thats impossible.

After you take into account your longs and shorts, You must have a net position.

And its really simple. Are you currently betting on gold going up or down.

Do you currently have a net bullish position in gold?

You definatly send out mixed signals.

And its really simple. Are you currently betting on gold going up or down.

Do you currently have a net bullish position in gold?

MAYBE GARYS FORECASTING STONE COULD ENHANCE THE ELLIOT WAVE AND OTHER TECHNICAL CHARTS TO BRING FURTHER INSIGHT INTO WHAT APPEARS TO BE SO INTRICALLY TECHNICAL.

Occam's Razor

one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

irishweathermachine.jpg

Seriously? :lol:

Sure, it doesn't concern me too much, but that said I do have a core holding in physical bullion. I look to have a diversity of the strongest currencies, and also hold them in diverse ways. I even have some gold hidden away in the rivers of NZ.... which I've yet to go find. :rolleyes:

Sure, it doesn't concern me too much, but that said I do have a core holding in physical bullion. I look to have a diversity of the strongest currencies, and also hold them in diverse ways. I even have some gold hidden away in the rivers of NZ.... which I've yet to go find. :rolleyes:

Well, I think unallocated should concern you, unless it's just a small percentage for gambling, and you can afford to lose it.

"ETFs should not be owned by serious professional investors" - Ben Davies.

The difference is significant, and IMO with allocatd physical you are on the side of sanity and fairness, and unallocated and paper gold, you are siding with the central banks and lies, scams, and unsustainability.

You have to pick your side and be judged on it.

I wasn't aware there were any strong currencies, only those less weak than others.

You have to pick your side and be judged on it.

I wasn't aware there were any strong currencies, only those less weak than others.

I don't see it in such black and white terms as that. What's with "judged"?

In regards to currencies, I'd rank them as strongest to weakest [in terms of future purchasing power against assets] in the following order:

Commodity currencies

Gold

Silver

Reserve currencies

US dollars

Yen

Major currencies

Euro

Pound

Minor currencies

Aussie

Kiwi etc

imo the sensible thing to do would be to remain as liquid as possible in the strongest currencies, namely commodity and reserve currencies. Different people will no doubt have different preferences. For myself, I am 50% in commodity currencies and 50% in reserve currencies. I expect the commodity currencies to slowly strengthen in the future against the reserve currencies. I don't expect the reserve currencies to hyper-inflate, but rather to increase in purchasing power against assets... even though they may not increase in purchasing power against commodity currencies. No certainties of course, which is why I think diversification in the strongest currencies is a sensible and pragmatic approach.

imo the sensible thing to do would be to remain as liquid as possible in the strongest currencies, namely commodity and reserve currencies. Different people will no doubt have different preferences. For myself, I am 50% in commodity currencies and 50% in reserve currencies. I expect the commodity currencies to slowly strengthen in the future against the reserve currencies. I don't expect the reserve currencies to hyper-inflate, but rather to increase in purchasing power against assets... even though they may not increase in purchasing power against commodity currencies. No certainties of course, which is why I think diversification in the strongest currencies is a sensible and pragmatic approach.

Sounds somewhat similar to Martin Armstrong's approach. Fiat will still surprise everyone and go on a tear in either direction, all the while deprecating against real money. The problem with the dollar is that most foreign governments and central banks don't want it to die just yet (since they hold most of the stuff) so don't be surprised if they do as much as possible to keep it afloat. For instance, Armstrong believe we will see wild swings in the dollar. Although he didn't give any particular targets, it's entirely possible to see an instanity of the USDX at .100 with Gold at $2500. House, cars, boats etc will be very cheap in this scenario measured in dollars but they will also be much much cheaper measured in gold. Just my 50 pence.

Is there any metal detectorists here? Ive just ordered one and we are looking forward to going out and finding stuff. I will be detectoring and the wife and kids will be digging!

How is the gold panning going chris ct? I think theres more chance of finding gold with a detector than a pan. Fancy a competion?

Is there any metal detectorists here? Ive just ordered one and we are looking forward to going out and finding stuff. I will be detectoring and the wife and kids will be digging!

How is the gold panning going chris ct? I think theres more chance of finding gold with a detector than a pan. Fancy a competion?

:lol: Whilst sitting at a computer i have done my back in. Maybe next time! - bedrest for a while, methinks.

Feels like someone has hit me across the base of my spine with a baseball bat. Good luck ,and do show us any pics of choice car parts or old hairclips. :P -but don't stop if you find some junk. Some people use junk to 'shield' their stash. :ph34r:

I think it will turn out the other way around :lol:

I bought a Garrett Ace 250 last year for a bit of fun with my son, but I've only used it a couple of times. Can you imagine finding one of these?

2427816914_5759f953d3.jpg

I bought a Garrett Ace 250 last year for a bit of fun with my son, but I've only used it a couple of times. Can you imagine finding one of these?

2427816914_5759f953d3.jpg

I too am getting a Garrett Ace 250. What do you think of it? They seem to be the most popular metal detector.

It seems really good IMO. In terms of value for money I don't think it has a lot of competition. You set it to look for gold and silver or what ever metal you're looking for, which is a lot better than the metal detectors I used as a kid. Let me know if you find any torcs! 

http://www.garrett.com/hobby/david_booth_cache.pdf

I too am getting a Garrett Ace 250. What do you think of it? They seem to be the most popular metal detector.

I had great doubts about a serious correction of the gold price down to 1100$, which I expressed in many

posts.

The low I believe was 1160$ and I heavily invested at that point.

Usually, when $ rises, $-priced gold declines. However, euro is currently falling (eurogold low was 890) and is

not allowing a decline in $-priced gold. How can confidence to the Euro be improved? The problems in Greece and

elsewhere have not diminished.

My feeling is also that silver will exceed 20$ this winter and remain above that level. Certainly this is the

first time silver was not smashed during the summer (keep fingers crossed), which I think is a most unusual

event.