I posted this over on the hyperinflation thread but Im not sure where best to post it.

This is a must listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tn..._Ming_Banknote/

Paper money. The history of paper money. Stuff we already know here but interesting item from the MSM.

Merv says that we thought that paper money was fail proof but the last 5 years has questioned that belief. (or words to that affect) Merv says things I doubt you would ever hear at his mansion house speeches.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

There was a small rocket breakout in Hong kong if you look at the second square in from 1250 -1255 i have never seen that sort of movement in the asian markets (hong kong)before.I spoke to some other gold investors ref this and it seemed very unusual a prerequisite to the rest of the days breakouts.I still think that while the CONmex is in effect and there is a predominant paper market ANYthing could happen.A major fundamental for me will be the cessation of the incessant WE WANT TO BUY YOUR GOLD ADS i feel that at this point the various elitists will have acquired what they KNOW is the above ground Gold that has been used in jewellery manafacture etc and then the REAL FIREWORK show will start.

goldchart140910.gif

There was a small rocket breakout in Hong kong if you look at the second square in from 1250 -1255 i have never seen that sort of movement in the asian markets (hong kong)before.I spoke to some other gold investors ref this and it seemed very unusual a prerequisite to the rest of the days breakouts.I still think that while the CONmex is in effect and there is a predominant paper market ANYthing could happen.A major fundamental for me will be the cessation of the incessant WE WANT TO BUY YOUR GOLD ADS i feel that at this point the various elitists will have acquired what they KNOW is the above ground Gold that has been used in jewellery manafacture etc and then the REAL FIREWORK show will start.

yes I also thought this and commented many times. Many people took the gold ads as a top in gold, a shoeshine moment.......I thought exactly the opposite because it was sell manoeuvre to the sheeple, not a buy manoeuvre

yes I also thought this and commented many times. Many people took the gold ads as a top in gold, a shoeshine moment.......I thought exactly the opposite because it was sell manoeuvre to the sheeple, not a buy manoeuvre

HISTORY SHOUTS LOUD AND CLEAR

WHO OWNS THE GOLD CONTROLS.

Disclosure: I will start gambling in the derivatives market soon. I will do this in a IMO safe and ethical way:

- I will buy far (and I mean really far) out of the money options with maturities between 2011 and 2013.

- I will buy calls only.

- I will invest very small sums only which because of far-out-of-the-money should still buy a substantial amount of options.

- I will immediately write off the premiums that I paid and just hope for a nice surprise.

Safe because I hardly invest anything, ethical because I don't divert money from the physical market. (... and possibly profitable, because what other people think of as far out of the money could be reality in a few years' time.)

Not too sure about that. I would guess that there is still plenty of gold jewelery about and perhaps the current 1200 USD fiat price has captured a lot of it but some of that remaining gold can still be teased out of weak hands with a higher fiat price.

At some point in the future, only a complete fool would swap gold for fiat - when they run out of fools, then the ads will cease.

Edit: sorry, I mis-read your post - I thought you had said the ads had stopped now. Yes, agree!

http://www.esoterictube.com/the-coming-col...ddle-class.html

The Coming Collapse of the Middle Class

Distinguished law scholar Elizabeth Warren teaches contract law, bankruptcy, and commercial law at Harvard Law School. She is an outspoken critic of America’s credit economy, which she has linked to the continuing rise in bankruptcy among the middle-class.

Notice that this lecture took place before the credit crisis and global financial meltdown of 2008.

I found this lecture very interesting and it is well worth watching if you have not seen it.I was especially suprised by the fact that Ms Warren in research was able to get data from the late 1800's from government bodies that were collating even then the data on consumer spending on things as obscure as canned meat crackers etc etc.

SO FOR ANY ONE WHO DOES'NT THINK THEY WOULD KNOW EXACTLY TO THE GRAM OF HOW MUCH GOLD IS ABOVE GROUND AND BEEN PUT INTO INDUSTRY ETC DONT BE SO NIEVE.

Not too sure about that. I would guess that there is still plenty of gold jewelery about and perhaps the current 1200 USD fiat price has captured a lot of it but some of that remaining gold can still be teased out of weak hands with a higher fiat price.

At some point in the future, only a complete fool would swap gold for fiat - when they run out of fools, then the ads will cease.

Good old blighty has not even started to see the real effects of what is coming.The reality is there is plenty of more broken jewellery and family heirlooms that will be sold to pay the ever mounting bills these fools have allowed themselves to take on.I think the big sell out is still to come as the kitchen gets very hot.Guardian Jewellery and their illk are not spending litteraly millions of pieces of paper for nothing they will let you know when it is over you will see them dissapear as quickly as they appeared when the TARGET IS reached.

Disclosure: I will start gambling in the derivatives market soon. I will do this in a IMO safe and ethical way:

- I will buy far (and I mean really far) out of the money options with maturities between 2011 and 2013.

- I will buy calls only.

- I will invest very small sums only which because of far-out-of-the-money should still buy a substantial amount of options.

- I will immediately write off the premiums that I paid and just hope for a nice surprise.

Safe because I hardly invest anything, ethical because I don't divert money from the physical market. (... and possibly profitable, because what other people think of as far out of the money could be reality in a few years' time.)

Interesting, GF. Who do you plan to sucker in to writing your calls?

I am looking for a decent options seller.

- I will buy calls only.

Is this the start of DR BUBBLEMANIA as even the most ardent physical gold bull turns to illusionary paper gambling :lol::lol::lol:

I haven't looked at the link yet but Reinhardt had this to say on the matter last year, a lovely phrase:

"markets are crashed to pay for the bridging of divides"

he also said this is the biggest transfer of wealth in modern history, from the middle class to the upper class elites.

Interesting, GF. Who do you plan to sucker in to writing your calls?

I am looking for a decent options seller.

The platform is Maxblue by Deutsche Bank. Many of the (IMO) "sucker" options have been signed by good old RBS. :lol: Dt. Bank itself is selling too of course, but I have not yet started looking into the details. For now it seems that the bailouts are limitless, but I prefer to write off the money at the outset and be positively surprised if I make some money.

Is this the start of DR BUBBLEMANIA as even the most ardent physical gold bull turns to illusionary paper gambling :lol::lol::lol:

As I said, this will be a very small amount, but the idea is to drain some money out of the banking system since I expect much higher prices than any of their models can anticipate. If I buy 10,000 options at $ 0.001 and a strike of $60 for silver, I spend 10 bucks but the return if silver goes to $100 is $400,000. :) As I said, this will not divert any of my physical investments, but seems a better bet to me than the state lottery. :lol: (This was just for illustration, I will have to look more specifically into what I can realistically get.)

I haven't looked at the link yet but Reinhardt had this to say on the matter last year, a lovely phrase:

"markets are crashed to pay for the bridging of divides"

he also said this is the biggest transfer of wealth in modern history, from the middle class to the upper class elites.

Yeah bigger because there is more supposed wealth to transfer than in other times in history.The real transfer is taking place in legal title on assests thats the real name of the FIAT tune, sucker loads of fools into huge debt that they know the will never be able to repay and which they dont want paid,if you had a printing press and could make as much worthless paper as you could only dream about why on earth would you want someone to give it you back,you can print as much as you want some fool giving it you back is not the game its default and seisure of title and the capture of someting of real value.

This is happening at every level countries people the whole shabbang.

THAT IS WHAT IS REALY BEING TRANSFERED.!!!!!!!

A major fundamental for me will be the cessation of the incessant WE WANT TO BUY YOUR GOLD ADS i feel that at this point the various elitists will have acquired what they KNOW is the above ground Gold that has been used in jewellery manafacture etc and then the REAL FIREWORK show will start.

Help me understand this, please. (I'm not very clever with these things.)

I take the ads to be a good sign that I'm safe to keep buying gold (since cleverer people than me are going to a lot of trouble to do so). When they stop those ads, is it becoming time for me to sell?

I take the ads to be a good sign that I'm safe to keep buying gold (since cleverer people than me are going to a lot of trouble to do so). When they stop those ads, is it becoming time for me to sell?

Sure. Sell. I will keep buying. DYOR.

- I will buy calls only.

Hi GF, I for one would be very interested in following your journey. Please post a chronicle of your adventures and best of luck.

I see nothing wrong with a bit of gambling money.

It's all in the terminology. When you buy Dollars with Pounds, you are also selling Pounds for Dollars When two fiat currencies are swapped, it becomes quite clear that the buy/sell teminology is purely arbitrary. If You lived in the UK and were used to measuring value in Pounds, you would tend to see the commodity as dollars and the 'real' currency as Pounds - and vice versa.

When it comes to gold, when you think you are buying gold , you are in fact selling paper currency and when you think it is time to 'sell' your gold, you are in fact buying paper currency (the reason for this is that gold is timeless and the ultimate representation of money) the only reason to do this would be if you believed the purchasing power of the fiat currency in the future would be greater. Given the decline of the West, it is difficult to envisage how that could happen.

Distinguished law scholar Elizabeth Warren teaches contract law, bankruptcy, and commercial law at Harvard Law School. She is an outspoken critic of America’s credit economy, which she has linked to the continuing rise in bankruptcy among the middle-class.

Notice that this lecture took place before the credit crisis and global financial meltdown of 2008.

notice that she doesn't say WHY and HOW it's happening.

... Given the decline of the West, it is difficult to envisage how that could happen.

Thank you. I can understand that. So it's hard to envisage that those "Sell your gold ads" will ever cease ... or that I'll ever want to buy paper currency with my gold. I may at some point want to buy something else with it, of course ... and I'll then be able to have a lot more of the something else than if I'd kept my (modest) wealth in paper currency.

From Thomson:

A pegging of gold at perhaps $5000 an ounce could perhaps suffice to create a situation where new debt issued is coming online at a lower velocity than old debt paid. That is the essence of gold as a control mechanism, in action.

18. I’m sorry to say, but the gold price is in the hands of the banksters and Tim “the terminator” Geithner, head of the Treasury. It’s not about the comex or the LBMA. The Govt, Treasury, and Central Bank all want gold higher in price, way higher. So, guess where the price of gold IS going?

Forget about gold being a bubble, or just the preserve of gold bugs. Gold is being rehabilitated and going mainstream.

Gold may seem expensive to buy now, but what one is effectively doing is swapping a weakening currency for a strengthening one.

Gold gains as central banks stock up

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f99f518a-c025-11...html?ftcamp=rss

Gold prices have pushed to a fresh record amid forecasts that central banks will be net buyers of bullion this year for the first time in two decades, the clearest sign of the rehabilitation of bullion after the financial crisis.

The shift marks a turnround after heavy disposals by European central banks over the past 10 years, when gold was seen as a non-yielding unattractive asset. Monetary institutions then swapped their bullion for yielding sovereign debt.

GFMS, the consultancy that compiles benchmark statistics for gold, said that central banks would buy about 15 tonnes of bullion on a net basis this year, a situation last seen in 1988. The swing comes on the back of buying by Russia and several Asia-based central banks and the collapse of sales in Europe.

The shift in central banks’ attitude towards gold, coupled with renewed US dollar weakness on Tuesday, propelled gold prices to a fresh nominal high of $1,274.75 a troy ounce, up nearly 2 per cent on the day. Gold prices have risen about 15 per cent since January, boosted by worries about sovereign risks. Adjusted for inflation, gold prices are, however, still a long way from their all-time high above $2,300 in 1980 reached during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

Philip Klapwijk, GFMS chairman, said gold prices could set fresh highs in the near term, trading above $1,300 an ounce, on the back of uncertainty about the global economy and concerns about high levels of debt in developed countries.

China, India, Saudi Arabia and other countries have announced large additions of gold to their reserves since the start of the financial crisis in 2008, providing a psychological boost to bullion.

The consultancy said that even if current net buying by central banks remains relatively low the shift is an important departure from the past decade, when central banks sold on average 442 tonnes of gold per year, equal to about 10 per cent of total bullion demand.