Hot investment news from Money Saving Expert. Perhaps a little lacking in the macro picture dept!:

Post 35

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3384178&page=2

Yep he must definetly be on the MPC. :lol: :lol:

Infact the whole thread resembles what i would think is the normal discussions at the monthly MPC get together. :o

They obviously missed CGNAO's boat leaving the MSE dock and caught Magical merv's docking (poor sods) :(

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

They obviously missed CGNAO's boat leaving the MSE dock and caught Magical merv's docking (poor sods) :(

Au contraire (as France will be featuring heavily soon), the MSE thread you featured in your Cgnao retrospective is still going, & himself posted there on the 18th of last month.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=14783&page=10

My guess is the same old steady appreciation of 20% odd a year against the dollar. Could spike to 1800 and then spend a year consolidating to that level if the past is anything to go by.

As I keep explaining whenever RH comes out with this claptrap of 20% a year appreciation, the rate of increase in the price of gold will escalate as we get further into this bull run. There is no way that it will continue just to do 20% a year, as it hasn't in the past. The following log graph clearly shows that we are in a much steeper uptrend than 20% currently. I fully expect us to move into an even higher uptrend soon, maybe we have just started the next leg.

RH why can't you acknowledge this?

20110804-b4shjqn32fgg6f4573g44t4kb7.jpg

As I keep explaining whenever RH comes out with this claptrap of 20% a year appreciation, the rate of increase in the price of gold will escalate as we get further into this bull run. There is no way that it will continue just to do 20% a year, as it hasn't in the past. The following log graph clearly shows that we are in a much steeper uptrend than 20% currently. I fully expect us to move into an even higher uptrend soon, maybe we have just started the next leg.

RH why can't you acknowledge this?

20110804-b4shjqn32fgg6f4573g44t4kb7.jpg

Well, it depends how you want to draw your chart. Personally, I don't see the point of taking the spike down in 2008 as the starting point for a trend line. I think that spike puntuates a longer term trend line... one which mediates between the odd spike down and the spikes up. I doubt it will take much time to see that latest trend line broken to the downside..... substantiating the case for a more modest trend [the trend that has also been seen from mid 2009 to the present... this side of the deleveraging in '08]. Time will tell.

long.jpg

GOLD AND SILVER - Done for awhile?

I got Bearish earlier today, when I saw Gold was up DESPITE:

+ Oil being down almost 1.5%

+ The US Dollar being up over 1%

The move in precious metals looked like an anomoly, and hence highly vulnerable

The MOVE DOWN in Gold and Silver looks like an important TURNING POINT to the downside

Because of the HEAVY VOLUME --- see: SLV chart : GLD chart

Looks like a typical London (3)PM fix smack down to me. The heavy volume is how they force the price to slide. If this was natural market forces, why does it always happen at 3PM?

goldcore_bloomberg_chart3_13-01-11.PNG

GOLD AND SILVER - Done for awhile?

I got Bearish earlier today, when I saw Gold was up DESPITE:

+ Oil being down almost 1.5%

+ The US Dollar being up over 1%

The move in precious metals looked like an anomoly, and hence highly vulnerable

The MOVE DOWN in Gold and Silver looks like an important TURNING POINT to the downside

Because of the HEAVY VOLUME --- see: SLV chart : GLD chart

Now that Gold has been "topped", what's next?

How about a nice short squeeze in the US dollar?

Looks like a typical London (3)PM fix smack down to me. The heavy volume is how they force the price to slide. If this was natural market forces, why does it always happen at 3PM?

goldcore_bloomberg_chart3_13-01-11.PNG

There's nothing "typical" about that GLD volume

Irrespective of GLD volume, the western world is on the edge of a financial precipice. I bet gold is higher next week.

That is possible, but far from likely in my view.

I think a Dollar short squeeze starting within a week is at least as likely

(though every Gold bug in the world would laugh at the notion.)

Just look at how "experts" like Billy Gross got the bond market wrong - in the same way

many experts may find they got the dollar wrong too.

TLT chart ... update

xx

Bond King Bill Gross Exits US Debt: Good News?

Posted by STEPHEN GANDEL Thursday, March 10, 2011

US debt may no longer be a good investment, at least for now. And that might be the good news.

Famed investor Bill Gross, who runs the PIMCO Total Return Fund, recently sold all of the US Treasury bonds is his fund's portfolio. It's a huge move for the manager of the world's largest bond fund. As recently as June 2010, Gross' fund held nearly $150 billion in US bonds. That amount has now been slashed to zero. But while the action will certainly be fodder for the crowd that thinks America is bankrupt, Gross' moves may actually be another sign that the US economy is improving. Here's why:

First of all, Gross didn't sell all of his US Treasury bonds because he is worried that the US won't be able to pay its debts. In a CNBC appearance on Thursday afternoon, Gross said credit wasn't an issue for him. And in fact, Gross hasn't sold all of his US debt holdings. He still owns Treasuries that mature in less than a year, which are technically called notes or bills, not bonds.

Gross sold because he thinks the price of US Treasury bonds are as high as they can go for now, and will fall.

Read more: http://curiouscapitalist.blogs.time.com/2011/03/10/the-worlds-largest-bond-fund-gets-out-of-us-debt-good-news/#ixzz1U6SkDb00

== == ==

I wonder what Gross is thinking after the huge jump in Bonds this month?

It is ... (you guessed it) ... a short squeeze

And Mr Gross was short

I wonder how many traders STILL doing the GEI TRADER SHUFFLE are realy getting creamed.It will be interesting to see the levels of honesty shown by them as they limp back from the latest TRADER dance floor massacre.I am sure they will have tales of multiple technical shorts longs puts and every other abaration of paper nonsense.I mean I woke up for a pi** and couldnt go back to sleep without having a look at the fallout from Asian markets and more pictures of traders with their heads in their hands on various MSM platforms.I dont think many traders will be getting much sleep as this debacle moves onto the next and more catastrophic level.

Some serious stressful sleepless nights ahead for the GEI shufflers.

GOT GOLD..?.......

Physical in your own personal posession.....?

Time is running out to protect yourselves.!!!!!!

Now that Gold has been "topped", what's next?

How about a nice short squeeze in the US dollar?

Yep, wouldn't be surprised to see a short squeeze in the dollar. I doubt it will do much to the price of gold on the down-side though. It's shown a nice and steady increase these past few months. So steady that 1650 ended up being a bit of an anti-climax without much fanfare :lol:

i think the rockets are reserved for the big spikes these days. Maybe they'll come out on a spike to 1800 or so... could well then fizzle as the price consolidates around there for another six odd months.

Yep, wouldn't be surprised to see a short squeeze in the dollar. I doubt it will do much to the price of gold on the down-side though. It's shown a nice and steady increase these past few months. So steady that 1650 ended up being a bit of an anti-climax without much fanfare :lol:

i think the rockets are reserved for the big spikes these days. Maybe they'll come out on a spike to 1800 or so... could well then fizzle as the price consolidates around there for another six odd months.

Bernanke will guard against a dollar short squeeze, I'm sure of it. So is Mark. So is Gold.

Marc Faber: "Next Week We Will See If Bernanke Is A True Money Printer Or Just An Amateur"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/marc-faber-next-week-we-will-see-if-bernanke-true-money-printer-or-just-amateur

Last time I posted this chart we were re-testing the breakout:

goldgbp050811.png

I took that opportunity to add to my physical stack, despite gold being just off its all-time high. I'm not knowledgeable enough about TA to trade it, but I have read evidence that if a bearish rising wedge in a strong bull breaks out to the upside, the move can be parabolic. Of course if this is a false break and we crash down through the rising wedge, the results should be equally spectacular to the downside.

Bernanke will guard against a dollar short squeeze, I'm sure of it. So is Mark. So is Gold.

Marc Faber: "Next Week We Will See If Bernanke Is A True Money Printer Or Just An Amateur"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/marc-faber-next-week-we-will-see-if-bernanke-true-money-printer-or-just-amateur

Bernanke is bound to have a go. Not sure if he can do much more with the politics heating up against him. Even if he manages to get more stimulus through, that would most probably be the end of it, and monetary policy would have spent itself. The drive to liquidity won't be dampened... good for gold, and not disastrous for the dollar.