$200, $400 Oil by end of 2009, and 2010-12, respectively

Richard Rainwater's Two Billion Dollar Bet -- Unwound

Top investor Richard Rainwater made $2 billion betting that oil prices would soar to over $100.

His investments go back to when oil was trading below $20, and he was a heavy buyer of Oil stocks

and oil futures at those lower prices.

When oil ouched through $129, he sold everything. One of teh things that drove him to do so was

a poll showing that 75% said they could see oil prices going higher, and they were taking steps to

cutback on oil consumption by: downsizing their cars, buying hybrids, and driving less. He thinks the

resulting demand destruction will bring prices down.

When it falls enough, he will be buying again. After a pullback, he expects oil to go much higher.

When it does, he wants to make another $2 billion.

This fits in with my own view...

DrBubb,

Do you see gold being dragged down by any retracements in oil ??

Oil could retrace from here.

The news out of China is big: they are raising oil prices, and that will hit demand.

Paradoxically, a fall in oil could mean more money flowing into precious metals.

I reckon will could see oil drift down over the coming weeks and months towards

my $100-$110 target

Look at this old Oil price chart from an article I wrote back in 1991

30yroilpw8.jpg

In the mid-1970's there was a big pop up to over $10 (think$140 this time), and then

a sharp drop to under $10 (say $8, and think $80-110 now). After that oil slowly worked

its way back up oevr many months. Then when it broke the old hog, and shot up quickly

to $40 (think $400 this time.)

I would not be surprised to see a similar patter develop in the months to come.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE COMING PAUSE IN OIL PRICE RISES...

The trends in place at present seem to be that we are seeing deflation in the things which we buy with or are associated with debt - ie housing, banks and so on - while we are seeing inflation in things your buy with cash - commodities.

Good explanation.

What we are seeing at the moment is rising inflation (far from hyperinflation) combined with a credit crunch.

Certain items financed by easy money (like homes) that already inflated to excessive bubble-like levels, are now being discounted because the easy money is not there any longer to sustain the high prices. There are two main possibilities:

+ The bubble-like prices will deflate until they become affordable again in a time of not-easy money. They could even fall to an "excess" on the downside if the credit crunch intensifies, and 65-70% loans (a more traditional lending percentage) are not even available.

+ The governement could panic, and try to stop the price fall by making credit easier and easier. (I am not sure how: buying properties, and buying new securitised junk, perhaps?) and then we may head into real hyperinflation, where even house prices start rising again.

I can see no reason the bet on number 2 above (yet). But we need to stay alert.

If we are headed into number 2, then other assets (like gold and energy) will rise into bubble-like valuations well before house prices take off again. And if we are in number 1, then Central bank efforts to maintain confidence as house price slide may keep gold up.

Oil prices may be set to fall IMHO, because the pain felt by America is spreading globally. Oil price subsidies are being removed, and we are beginning to see global oil demand destruction (not just demand destruction in the US) - which is exactly what is needed to bring oil prices down.

A fall in oil prices would allow governments to back-off on their interest-raising policies (and rhetoric), which could mean that gold will start to push up again.

THE COMING PAUSE IN OIL PRICE RISES...

Good explanation.

What we are seeing at the moment is rising inflation (far from hyperinflation) combined with a credit crunch.

Certain items financed by easy money (like homes) that already inflated to excessive bubble-like levels, are now being discounted because the easy money is not there any longer to sustain the high prices. There are two main possibilities:

+ The bubble-like prices will deflate until they become affordable again in a time of not-easy money. They could even fall to an "excess" on the downside if the credit crunch intensifies, and 65-70% loans (a more traditional lending percentage) are not even available.

+ The governement could panic, and try to stop the price fall by making credit easier and easier. (I am not sure how: buying properties, and buying new securitised junk, perhaps?) and then we may head into real hyperinflation, where even house prices start rising again.

I can see no reason the bet on number 2 above (yet). But we need to stay alert.

If we are headed into number 2, then other assets (like gold and energy) will rise into bubble-like valuations well before house prices take off again. And if we are in number 1, then Central bank efforts to maintain confidence as house price slide may keep gold up.

Oil prices may be set to fall IMHO, because the pain felt by America is spreading globally. Oil price subsidies are being removed, and we are beginning to see global oil demand destruction (not just demand destruction in the US) - which is exactly what is needed to bring oil prices down.

A fall in oil prices would allow governments to back-off on their interest-raising policies (and rhetoric), which could mean that gold will start to push up again.

Great post Doc. It would be great to see no1 happening with less pressure on govts to raise rates supporting rising gold prices, leaving the door open for another bite at the oil cherry once it has corrected a little. You can absolutely see as well that if oil prices do drop, with the "perception" of inflation in the publics eye being soooo imporant to govt these days, that they would be comfortable not raising rates. Any increases in gold are far less visible/relevant to the general public (at the moment) and even if headlines reappear at $1000 again, they will soon disappear once it is broken for good until, say $1500. For this reason I think the fed may at some point favour soaring gold over soaring oil.

• 2 weeks later...

So this won't be needed then?

http://www.stopoilspeculationnow.com/

Apologies if this has already been posted/discussed. A friend just sent it to me... seems the US public isn't happy (surprise, surprise) and wants someone to blame.

This particular phrase caught my attention: "Every time you buy products such as food or gas, you are impacted by unregulated, secretive and often foreign commodities futures markets" ... I'm not sure they intended to be xenophobic - but how sad that the site attempts to blame everyone else in the world. How about looking at all the huge SUVs and V8s you drive before pointing the finger elsewhere?!

MATT SIMMONS is on Bloomberg today talking about Oil prices

He says he expects $600 "in the next six months to five years".

He admits that is a "made-up number", but he thinks it is far more likely than the $50

that many are talking about

• 3 weeks later...
oil is consolidating just below the strongest support line: 120

bearish sign

expect the downtrend begin at 10:35 (crude inventories) , move should be of 10 bucks , however at 115 we certainly will bounce

the ideal short position for gold would be 889, but it as 885 right now, lets see what happends

I repeat my earlier forecast- made when Oil was on its way to $146:

+ Crude oil will fall to about $100 (target: $80-$110), and then

+ Crude will soar to $400 by 2010-12

The first part may come within August (and could be retested) - which is sooner than I had thought

...and once they've triggered these stops, they can't do that same trick again!

Right.

Have a look at : Oil (USO) vs. Gold (GLD)

Gold's huge stop position has allowed them to force it lower than Oil

USO Support:

Oil-$110 x 0.80 = USO-$88

But the charts show lower support, namely about USO-$82.

And that's equivalent to WTI-$102.50 per barrel

I don't wish to derail this thread but would be interested in the opinion of others on this:

crudekd0.png

There's been discussions on various threads over the months (years?) as to the validity/accuracy of pricing from spread betting companies. I'm not trading Crude but if I were I'd be quite surprised to see those sharp pip-by-pip movements (which would easily trip stops/limits). Is this normal for crude, or is there something screwy going on at IG Index?

WATCH OIH - we could have seen a low in OIH today

aaafy0.gif

A leap in OIH, has often given an early warning of an impending upturn in GLD

WATCH OIH - we could have seen a low in OIH today

aaafy0.gif

A leap in OIH, has often given an early warning of an impending upturn in GLD

Just had a quick peek at the chart. Seems to me like we could test 170 on OIH, no? Especially considering Crude Oil could well go lower.

sure.

this is only a A leg for oil. But it may be a C leg for GLD

This is constructive.

This is what a bottom should look like:

aa3pc4.gif

The above is the Oil Holders etf (OIH) - includes shares of Oil Service companies.

It often leads Oil (USO), which has sometimes led Gold (GLD) also.

It made a low yesterday on light volume, and then rose on heavier volume.

That's a very positive sign, and now it looks set to break above that downtrend line.

If OIH opens higher on big volume, a bottom may be in place, and I think it is then likely

that a Gold bottom will come within a few days also.

OIH is higher this morning in NY, and has broken its downtrend.

Meantime, GLD looks set to test its low on lighter volume, which would be a potential bottoming formation.

But more work is required, and maybe a visit to GLD-$79 to fill that gap from last Christmas

I think that B wave began this week.

A: 147-111

B: 111-122

C: 122-105

could be. or lower on C

Archived