UK House prices: News & Views

It can take a while. Canary Wharf is great now but it took over 20 years for it to get that way. That's a long wait and it could easily have gone the other way.

There were big corrections in Canary Wharf.

But if you bought the dips, you would have done well.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/news/story.htm?value_of_money_fell_by_two_thirds_over_the_past_30_years

The average price for a detached property has risen approximately six-fold over the same period from £45,211 to £273,7002, while a troy ounce of gold has risen by 439% from £203 in 1982 to £1,096 today. Similarly, fuel costs have also risen substantially with diesel prices now 294% higher than in 1982, while the price of coffee has risen by 176% from an average price of 97p to £2.68.

Time to invest in coffee? :)

The other areas I mentioned (Manor House and Colindale) are pure gentrification plays, rather than infrastructure-assisted property plays.

I'm interested in how much of this gentrification is due to the emerging middle classes from previous waves of immigration? It's been in the news lately, as the tabloids were making a fuss about the "white British" population of London dipping below 50%. Main driver seems to be the equivalent of white flight. People who were previously in inner city areas are radiating outwards for better houses and schools in much the same way the white middle classes have done, to be replaced by the next incoming wave. It's fascinating to watch both from a physical and social point of view.

I'll see if I can dig out the link, but there was a great episode of the Londonist podcast recently where they interview the chief planning officer for (I think) City of London Corporation. He pointed out that London succeeds precisely because it's never finished, plus that the key to growth is ensuring young professionals have places to drink, eat and to pull no punches, meet for sex. When you view London through that lens, it is noticable how different "villages" cater for different tastes. West End/Soho for more mainstream clubbing, Shoreditch area for the "be seen" crowd, then Vauxhall and surrounds for LGBT venues. Recent years have seen me become more involved in alternative scenes, and it's amazing what's out there once you're "hooked in". Had never really viewed that as being useful for the cohesion of a city before now.

I'm interested in how much of this gentrification is due to the emerging middle classes from previous waves of immigration? It's been in the news lately, as the tabloids were making a fuss about the "white British" population of London dipping below 50%. Main driver seems to be the equivalent of white flight. People who were previously in inner city areas are radiating outwards for better houses and schools in much the same way the white middle classes have done, to be replaced by the next incoming wave. It's fascinating to watch both from a physical and social point of view.

I see it differently.

I think something like 40% of the capital needed to build those new developments (Woodberry and the Colindale projects) is coming from Hong Kong and Singapore, where much wealth is being generated - thanks partly to the "Efficient density" in these two cities.

And London is copying that model, using its own (less dense) version.

... plus that the key to growth is ensuring young professionals have places to drink, eat and to pull no punches, meet for sex. ...

They also meet for punches,

if you see some of the fights that break out on a Saturday night in London

Thousands of home owners with a Bank of Ireland or Bristol & West mortgage face steep increases to their monthly mortgage repayments from May, as the lenders plan to double interest rates on some home loans.
Despite the Bank Rate staying at 0.5pc for four years, the Bank of Ireland has invoked "special conditions" that allows it to increase the margin by which its tracks this rate.

http://www.telegraph...-customers.html

Wonder how many other banks will invoke "special conditions"?

I'm interested in how much of this gentrification is due to the emerging middle classes from previous waves of immigration? It's been in the news lately, as the tabloids were making a fuss about the "white British" population of London dipping below 50%

. . .

I'll see if I can dig out the link, but there was a great episode of the Londonist podcast recently where they interview the chief planning officer for (I think) City of London Corporation. He pointed out that London succeeds precisely because it's never finished...

Since 40-50% of the new properties are being bought by people from Hong Kong and Singapore...

(Mostly to rent out), I would not be surprised if there is some shift away from White folks

Thanks to HK etc., there's capital to keep adding to London's unfinished buildings

Here's an example of what we see first in HK - I may first the sales office (in a HK room) tomorrow:

New property being offered in Hong Kong

New River Gardens

Waterside London Living from £239,950 *

An opportunity to invest in a luxury apartment or penthouse

abbak.jpg

Stunning luxurious studios, 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments and penthouses; all properties benefit from a private balcony or outdoor space

Unique waterside setting located by the New River, with over 42 acres of open water and stunning views towards the City

Excellent transport links to central London from Manor House Station on the Piccadilly line (5 minutes walk) with direct access to Kings Cross St Pancras in 8 minutes+ and just 16 minutes+ from Covent Garden and London's West End

Cutting-edge architectural design combined with high specification and well planned living spaces

Facilities include 24 hour concierge, resident's only gym, pool, spa, on site Sainsbury's local supermarket along with private landscaped gardens

http://gold.approximity.com/gold_charts.html

Chart of the month (March 2013)

Regarding U.K. house prices in terms of gold, we seem to momentarily be stuck in a historical congestion zone around 150oz the average U.K. house. Given the dire economic outlook of the U.K. (and of Pound Sterling) and given the incredibly positive fundamentals of gold, one would expect a swift collapse of the price towards the target area once the present consolidation is over.

UK_House_Prices_in_Gold_LOG_GUESS_130305.png

Thanks GF, nice to have your input around here from time to time. I wonder how long before we enter that green circle? Let's hope as fast as you can say 'gold silver ratio'? That chart and forecast simply was a knockout..as was the bounce back to 52.

Thanks GF, nice to have your input around here from time to time. I wonder how long before we enter that green circle? Let's hope as fast as you can say 'gold silver ratio'? That chart and forecast simply was a knockout..as was the bounce back to 52.

If we do go into the Green circle, it might also take a little longer than show - as the last time did

bankvault.png

So, about 2016-18?

Could be sooner too, if Gold has a big jump higher in the immediate.

My real point is, we can rely on a rapid drop, and last time, there was quite a decent rally before it got crushed.

BTW, I am not sure that GF reads many posts here anymore. But he does seem to be happy to post updates. (Perhaps he is still smarting about not being a Mod anymore. Though I think he over-reacted, since many Mods were dropped at the same time. Anyway, I have learned by now that emotions are easily inflamed on the web, in ways that would not happen, if people were interacting face-to-face.)

I am now very easygoing about his participation. He can access and use the site in either way. I think the new 3-Main-Section style may suit his interests better, since I have agreed to keep all controversial topics off the Traders section.

Does anyone think we should move THIS THREAD to the Trader's Section?

BTW, have you seen this thread in the Private section ?:

Measured in Gold / Charts by G0ldfinger

I'd be very much obliged if it was kept here. Why should it get moved??

Because it's the only thread that I visit this section for, and I have to tiptoe round the Pope being in league with aliens and the Twin Towers being blown up by the Israelis to get here.

Thanks.

However:

WE need quite a few more comments that a split-decision from two folks, before I will move it.

== == ==

We seem to be in a strange time right now, as if the world is waiting for some sort of important trigger event,

before a drama "boiling away behind the scenes" will be played out. This seems to be true in many areas,

including: the house price arena, the gold arena, the stock arena, ... even the religious arena.

Does anyone else feel like that?

You could call it pre-emena times.

Because it's the only thread that I visit this section for, and I have to tiptoe round the Pope being in league with aliens and the Twin Towers being blown up by the Israelis to get here.

Look, I am engaged in a search for the Truth here - since the Mainstream media is so full of spin.

(Do you disagree?)

GEI has gotten to the truth, time and time again:

+ Before The global financial crash,

+ Before the US housing bust,

+ Before the Jimmy Saville pedophile scandal hit

+ Before the pope resigned

In other areas, we are still waiting, and in some we were wrong or misled.

But I did not shy from exposing concensus lies.

I find it weird that instead of praising those on GEI who want to expose lies, some folks here are seem eager to hide anything, or not see anything, that might challenge the mainstream.

Have you see the latest shocker in the WSJ?

Karzei has comeout saying the US is working with the Taliban as a Ally?

/see: http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=17567

Why do you suppose that is?

Do you think that a crumbling of the power structure will have no impact on the markets we invest in?

Somehow, they have helped to hold up Western currencies, and assets like London housing prices.

So discussing these bigger picture issues is a critical part of understanding what drives asset prices.

I agree that the authorities fob us off with smooth falsehoods while they quietly do much of their (sometimes rather different) business behind the scenes ... it's always been like that.

But there's a difference in kind between the US secretly doing business with the Taliban (I'd be surprised and even disappointed if they weren't) and the Vatican doing the same with aliens! One is realpolitik and the other is fantasy ... Confusing the two is tedious, and a good reason for having discussion of house prices moved, as you suggest, out of earshot of such stuff.

...there's a difference in kind between the US secretly doing business with the Taliban

... and the Vatican doing the same with aliens! One is realpolitik and the other is fantasy ...

Confusing the two is tedious, and a good reason for having discussion of house prices moved, as you suggest, out of earshot of such stuff.

PJP,

The thing is: Tom Horn provides MUCH evidence from contacts in the Vatican to suggest that the church

is preparing an announcement that there is an ET presence.

Did I ever say "the Vatican is doing business with ETs"?

That is possible, but such statement goes way beyond anything that I have said.

SO:

+ You are either intentionally exaggerating what I did say, to ridcule it

(Which is a rather shabby rhetorical technique - so let's assume that was not your intent),

or:

+ You haven't bothered to listen to Tom Horn, or examine any of his evidence.

I suggest you take a look at his book when it comes, out and even consider buying a copy.

If he is right about the Vatican making ET Disclosure, you'd better believe it is going to have some

genuine impact on your "line of business", don't you think?

I have listened to several interviews with Tom Horn, and posted links to more in the Fringe section.

I would be happy to discuss one of the recent videos. Or maybe we can discuss the book after it comes out.

You are ... intentionally exaggerating what I [said], to ridicule it

Yes, sorry: guilty as charged.

I've looked briefly at one or two bits, cuch as this -- http://www.raidersnewsupdate.com/ -- and recoiled, having had my instincts confirmed that we're dealing here with puerile drivel.

The over-excited, intellectually-facile, downright ignorant Christiano-triumphalist rubbish, (mis-)using the tired old categories of Antichrist, Armageddon, and other such talismans of pseudo-Biblical American ecclesio-imperialism is just simply too wearisome for words.

I shall retreat to the other board that you've kindly created, hope that you'll send the house-price thread to join me, and go back to my preferred method of visiting these boards for financial and economic insights, and somewhere else (where people can distinguish literary types and have a sense of historical context) for my theology.

I've looked briefly at one or two bits, cuch as this -- http://www.raidersnewsupdate.com/ -- and recoiled, having had my instincts confirmed that we're dealing here with puerile drivel.

The over-excited, intellectually-facile, downright ignorant Christiano-triumphalist rubbish, (mis-)using the tired old categories of Antichrist, Armageddon, and other such talismans of pseudo-Biblical American ecclesio-imperialism is just simply too wearisome for words.

I shall retreat to the other board that you've kindly created, hope that you'll send the house-price thread to join me, and go back to my preferred method of visiting these boards for financial and economic insights, and somewhere else (where people can distinguish literary types and have a sense of historical context) for my theology.

:lol: Nice

I agree this thread should be on the serious board.

Not because anyone's right or wrong, but simply because of all the threads, this one really has nothing at all to do with the "other" stuff.

The over-excited, intellectually-facile, downright ignorant Christiano-triumphalist rubbish, (mis-)using the tired old categories of Antichrist, Armageddon, and other such talismans of pseudo-Biblical American ecclesio-imperialism

A fascinating example of the hyphenated compound successfully deployed in rhetorical invective.

What on Earth....? How very, very strange.

That Video is:

+ Not something I had seen, or recommended

+ Is for a different book, than his new one, Exo-Vaticana

It is very possible that Tom Horn himself had nothing at all to do with the creation of the video,

which looks like a promotion piece from a publisher, a distributor, or mere reseller* of the book.

Why would you post in in reaction to my comment at all??

It seems irrelevant.

"Retreat" into ignorance if you like, and be prepared to issue an apology, if-and-when ...

I suppose this should not surprise me - By now, I am accustomed to my posts being responded

to with exaggeration, and misinformation whenever I deviate from the comfortable ground

encircled by mainstream propaganda.

=== ===

*From the About page of that website:

SurvivorMall.com is one of the foremost discount suppliers of Emergency Survival Kits, Military Gear, Food & Water Rations, Search & Rescue Supplies, Terrorism & Self Defense products and related Print & Media materials.