SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOM...Nothing more to say (well not today)...

Jim Rogers 22nd July on Silver/Gold.

(32.08mins) The whole vid is worth a watch tho IMO.

cheers for the link InSilverWeTrust, much appreciate your input. :)

Pourquoi? :D

Please don't respond in French 'cos that's as far as my Franglaise extends to...

Mrs GOM always wanted to sell it straight away, when we returned in 2006 BUT I knew then she would want to buy somewhere back in the UK. The crash hadn't started & she wasn't 'on board' the TFH train as yet. Plus the old nesting force was strong in this one. ;) can't you remember I kept posting about hiding the kitchen knives from her. :unsure:

I had planned on leaving it there in case in get's so bad that we have to leave the UK for good, but on reflection I think I started worrying just as much about foreign policy changes in France relating to expat's.....I didn't want it to go all spanish land grab scenario (or something similar) tbh. Then there was the monetary factor. I have been firmly in the pm camp since about late 2007 iirc, so why not sell now & quickly purchase some.

Mrs GOM would now NOT buy a house for the next 2-3 years (phew), so the money is safe from her nesting instincts. Sorry to the female posters on here, I am not chauvinistic honest, I just realise the differences between men & women. I mean I really, really want a nice period house BUT I wouldn't buy one at any cost, whereas Mrs GOM in 2006/7/8, would.

Again, please don't let I or any other poster disuade you from acting in your own best interests. Having said that, I would summise that you'd probably be better off taking some more time in coming to a conclusion given your endeavours of late. Also, it's far better to get it right with the longer term trend in your case judging by what you've divulged rather than to speculate on short-term volatility.

Yes, you could enjoy huge profits in a very short time, but the facts tend to suggest most get more than they bargained for playing that game and you've been around long enough to appreciate that more than most I suspect, so I'll stop teaching you how to suck eggs now...

Just be careful that's all, I personally don't believe this to be the time for putting your nads on the line, that's all. What you invest in and how much is purely a decision for you alone. Well, may be you should consult with your better arf as well... :)

thanks Whoops, also appreciate the advice. I know I need to buy quick though imo, I don't like to wait until the bottom or tops of things.

Not had a chance to read this but I am sure it will be of interest. At the same time the corruption is common knowledge now.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/project-m...ted-silver-etfs

During our research into the inventory lists of the iShares SLV and London-based ETFS physical silver funds, we discovered multiple anomalies which cannot be easily dismissed. These included the presence of internal duplicates, rough internal duplicates, weight duplicates, statistical clustering, and cross-reference duplicates. Taken together, these anomalies are cause for concern, and we suggest that more capable teams conduct further research into these issues, as they effect price discovery within the precious metals market, as these ETF shares are being used for settlement and possibly pricesuppression on the COMEX.

If these problems are caused by accounting errors, they are disturbing and perhaps profoundly incompetent, and we suggest both these funds should have their senior management replaced.

In our opinions, the only way for all of these anomalies to occur together as noted in this paper, is via systemic fraud or gross accounting error bordering on jaw-dropping incompetence.

http://goldchat.blogspot.com/2009/07/multi...-in-silver.html

credit redprince @ hpc

Hey, GF: couldn't help noticing the latest bounce up to 70 in G/S ratio has seemingly provided a third point on a rising trendline with down-spikes in 1997, 2004? and now 2009.

This line also seems to act as a resistance during 2006-2008. What are your thoughts?

I am confused now...

goldsilverratioguess110yg0.png

Please can you explain what they are about as Im on a dongle in the hills. Thx :)

full audio here

http://library.georgegordon.com/node/1681

59:55 minutes (13.71 MB)

thanks iswt for orig link

edit -and there's more.. here

History of Silver 9 Billion Oz. of Silver is just Gone

History of Silver From 9 Billion Oz. of Silver in 1959 to 600,000 Oz. of Silver in 2009

haven't listened to these yet so no idea of quality

It's a good summary to date. Not sure what he meant when he said "silver coming out of everybody's earballs..." 3/5 07:30 :blink::D

Silver to fail first!

Your homework for tonight...

I've been told to watch all 5.

I'm just into 1.. very good so far!

Interesting chart, but would be grateful if you would tell me its significance, please?

wish i knew myself :lol:

(coughs) strictly speaking this is a monthly position chart so we cant really say anything until we see the last day of this months position and so on. However, I think the chart will be useful in that silver is 'caught' between multi-month buying and selling pressures and this 'squeeze' is coming to an end, hence whatever way silver breaks out of the squeeze should hopefully indicate its direction for a good while; of course, it could stay within the longer-term channel but we will not know that until the squeeze arrow head is broken....

I don't know about you, but I'm mightily impressed with silver's resilience considering the pounding gold has had for a while now, its holding its own, it doesn't seem to be lagging IMO.

I do wonder how relevent the G:S ratio will become considering the above ground reserves are clearly in golds favour.

I don't know about you, but I'm mightily impressed with Silver's resilience considering the pounding gold has had for a while now, its holding its own it doesn't seem to be lagging IMO.

+1 The ratio is under 66 on its way to 50 B)

I will bail out at 50 as am concerned about a deflation scare in the wings. Long term for silver... who knows.

I will bail out at 50 as am concerned about a deflation scare in the wings. Long term for silver... who knows.

I checked when it was last at/near 50 -- March 2008. Did you do anything at that turn RH?

As I have said before, I am intrigued your strategy of trading silver for gold when the ratio is low. I may do so myself. ;)

I checked when it was last at/near 50 -- March 2008. Did you do anything at that turn RH?

As I have said before, I am intrigued your strategy of trading silver for gold when the ratio is low. I may do so myself. ;)

There are a few here looking to swap.

When it was last at 50, I was fully in gold. If you look at a long term chart of the ratio it only very infrequently moved between a large range in the ratio. I am now looking to trade this ratio because I believe the volatility will pick up, and as the market becomes confused between inflation and deflation scares the "frequency" in the ratio might increase. Other silver holders will no doubt hold on for a better ratio or stay in silver. I guess it depends if you see inflation or deflation on the horizon... or both.

gold_15_year_silver.png

Wow, that's one hell of a call...

Assuming that the price of both gold and silver will rise as the gsr drops, silver would be trading at $20/oz if gold only rose to $1,000/oz. Should gold break through the thousand mark and spike to $1,250/oz say, silver would have to be trading at $25/oz for a gsr of 50. Sorry to wee on anyone's parade here, but how likely is that?

Would have to be one hell of an inflation scare for that to happen. Can't see it myself barring any black swans of course...

If anything, the Japanese Yen is starting to look promising, only question is, what's a good entry point in terms of USD/JPY? Suggestions kindly received...

/snip

Assuming that the price of both gold and silver will rise as the gsr drops, silver would be trading at $20/oz if gold only rose to $1,000/oz. Should gold break through the thousand mark and spike to $1,250/oz say, silver would have to be trading at $25/oz for a gsr of 50. Sorry to wee on anyone's parade here, but how likely is that? / snip

By my calculation, silver's up 8.5% in just three trading days. Gold has not made a similar percentage gain - only 3 and a bit percent.

So perhaps that is how silver makes a bigger move than gold?

By my calculation, silver's up 8.5% in just three trading days. Gold has not made a similar percentage gain - only 3 and a bit percent.

Silver appears to be a leveraged version of gold on the upside and downside. So while gold goes up silver goes double the amount but equally goes down further.

I think we could see around 40 on the ratio this swing, which would give us goldfinger's target of $30 - $35.

Whoa there!

I've been in and out of silver for a number of years now and one pattern I've learnt to recognise more than any other probably is the blow off phase in PMs. Don't forget, silver makes most of it's gains right at the end of a trend, once gold runs out of steam i.e. when it is deemed too expensive so they opt for silver instead...

Could always be different this time, but I doubt it though. Still, good luck to all those that are brave enough to go long at this stage...