SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cornering of the silver market by Nelson Bunker Hunt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Bunker_Hunt

This is why the China influence is "interesting"

I have heard mention recently (last 2 months) of the Hunt brothers iirc. I had never heard of them before or even realised there was a silver spike in the early 80's.

"Beginning in the early 1970s, Hunt and his brother William Herbert Hunt began accumulating large amounts of silver. By 1979, they had nearly cornered the global market.[6] In the last nine months of 1979, the brothers earned an estimated $2 billion to $4 billion in silver speculation, with estimated silver holdings of 100 million ounces.[7]

During the Hunt brothers' accumulation of the precious metal, prices of silver futures contracts and silver bullion during 1979 and 1980 silver prices rose from $11 an ounce in September 1979 to $50 an ounce in January 1980. Silver prices ultimately collapsed to below $11 an ounce two months later. The largest single day drop in the price of silver occurred on Silver Thursday.[1]"

:o:unsure:

that's why I don't think I will ever lose any big money. I am not greedy. I will never sell at the top or buy at the bottom, just somewhere near the top & near the bottom.

wrt selling silver, this will be more difficult imo, in fact very difficult though.

During the Hunt brothers' accumulation of the precious metal, prices of silver futures contracts and silver bullion during 1979 and 1980 silver prices rose from $11 an ounce in September 1979 to $50 an ounce in January 1980. Silver prices ultimately collapsed to below $11 an ounce two months later. The largest single day drop in the price of silver occurred on Silver Thursday.[1]"

:o:unsure:

that's why I don't think I will ever lose any big money. I am not greedy. I will never sell at the top or buy at the bottom, just somewhere near the top & near the bottom.

wrt selling silver, this will be more difficult imo, in fact very difficult though.

GOM, here is a close up of this period for you. Also note: the silver price was over $30 Dollar for at least 2.5 months or so. Enough time to sell IMHO.

http://gold.approximity.com/1979-1980/Silver_USD.html

Silver_USD.png

For many other charts from these two years: http://gold.approximity.com/1979-1980/

Yeah. Silver is notoriously volatile; just look at the big peaks and troughs since the shenanigans started a couple of years ago.

Ted Butler's worth reading for a while until you realise that every article is, in fact, exactly the same and has been since the mid-90's. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's right about price manipulation and I'm glad he's calling "foul", but I don't think there's anything that he, or you, or I can do about it. Of course, assuming he's right and the market has been suppressed for over 30 years, then the free market will eventually correct this, as it always eventually does.

Back down to $11 in 1980; back down below $10 in November 2008. Plus ca change. Allowing for currency depreciation, there's an awful lot of potential upside for silver, despite its principal industrial application (photography) being made obsolete by digital technology and ink-jet printing. Personally I think that battery technology will be a significant consumer of silver ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver-oxide_battery ) in the age of the electric car. YMMV ( ;) )

This volatility is why my personal choice is to hold through the physical commodity ETCs (PHAU and PHAG). Cheap 'n' liquid. To each their own...

'Silver market cornered'...now that would be a laugh, but not a surprise!

Yeah. I've always liked Professor Antal Fekete's articles on monetary metals and basis trading. He argues that the giveaway will be a move from contango into permanent backwardation, indicating a total loss of confidence in fiat currency (http://news.goldseek.com/GoldSeek/1228499200.php) although Mike Shedlock (always worth reading, IMHO) has pooh-poohed it (http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/12/nonsense-about-gold-backwardation.html).

Who knows if we'll see a short squeeze in silver soon?

That was a one-off GOM, when the Hunt brothers cornered the market. Very peculiar business, Jim Sinclair was their advisor I believe. ...

Sinclair was asked by Volcker to sort out the Hunts' mess after it had collapsed IIRC.

it didn't stay near the absolute peak for long at all IIRC

Yes. I do not expect to call perfectly a peak at all. All I want to achieve is to ride the "obvious" part up. In silver back then, I'd say 20:1, when silver was $30 and gold was $600, should have been a major exit signal for anyone being in it at the time. So, let's keep this in mind.

I may regret this, but with the dollar index getting stronger and yesterdays gains based largely on rumours, I've lightened up on some silver. I'm calling it hedging and not trading :P I don't have a large position, so it's mainly a learning experience for me.

I may regret this, but with the dollar index getting stronger and yesterdays gains based largely on rumours, I've lightened up on some silver. I'm calling it hedging and not trading :P I don't have a large position, so it's mainly a learning experience for me.

Out of Interest what did you swap to, dollars?

50/50 USD and CAD

Edit: Forgot to mention, if the dollar breaks ~76 I'll be back all in

Good idea, 76 looks like it is the support line, next support below that is a long way down.

I would be very very careful of a silver short, the price could massively break out at anytime due to the massive short position by the bullion banks. Ted Butler has been recently talking about the fact that the rules may be about to change.

I would have a big problem with going short anything that does not have an over supply problem. Remember that the silver market is very small.

BTW I see £14 silver within 5 months.

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/Bro...als_Market.html

The article below talks about the limits on commodity positions about to be enforced, can anyone say silver short squeeze.

Interest sparked in physical commodities - FT.com - 6/10/09

Facing a limit on holdings in paper futures contracts, bankers say they have received inquiries from pension funds and other big investors about the practicality of warehousing industrial metals or chartering supertankers.

The inquiries raise thorny issues for the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission as it devises constraints on holdings of energy futures after last year’s surge in oil prices. Gary Gensler, chairman, has said he wants position limits to be consistently applied across commodity markets.

Critics say investors could respond by bailing out of futures and hoarding actual commodities, an ugly prospect in the event of a global shortage. Neither the CFTC nor the UK Financial Services Authority has jurisdiction over spot commodity markets.

I would be very very careful of a silver short, the price could massively break out at anytime due to the massive short position by the bullion banks. Ted Butler has been recently talking about the fact that the rules may be about to change.

I would have a big problem with going short anything that does not have an over supply problem. Remember that the silver market is very small.

BTW I see £14 silver within 5 months.

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/Bro...als_Market.html

yep - agree with that

Im continually adding to my physical silver stash and I notice on ebay UK that 1oz commemorative sterling silver coins from wee commonwealth islands etc are regularly selling for 10% under spot. They don't state their silver content on the actual coin but come with a certificate stating the purity and weight. Any of you chaps reckon these are a good buy? My thoughts are silver is silver. But maybe folks just prefer the well known bullion coins and are not interested in such things even at a discount?

Im continually adding to my physical silver stash and I notice on ebay UK that 1oz commemorative sterling silver coins from wee commonwealth islands etc are regularly selling for 10% under spot. They don't state their silver content on the actual coin but come with a certificate stating the purity and weight. Any of you chaps reckon these are a good buy? My thoughts are silver is silver. But maybe folks just prefer the well known bullion coins and are not interested in such things even at a discount?

Silver is silver IMO.

Some of these commemeratives are Sterling 92.5% and a few of them are 50% silver but there are a lot that are nickel silver and are exactly the same as the real silver version. The 1977 Queen's Silver Jubilee Commemorative Crown comes to mind as one of these that came as a Sterling proof but all the rest were nickel silver. Be very careful with what you ar buying.

Some of these commemeratives are Sterling 92.5% and a few of them are 50% silver but there are a lot that are nickel silver and are exactly the same as the real silver version. The 1977 Queen's Silver Jubilee Commemorative Crown comes to mind as one of these that came as a Sterling proof but all the rest were nickel silver. Be very careful with what you ar buying.

Good point. I've only bought a handful of these things and all came with certificates of authenticity stating fineness. At 10GBP a pop I imagine wouldn't be worth folks while to forge?

But your right best to be sure what exactly it is your getting. That's why I was wondering if investors might favour recognisable and well known bullion coins that state their fineness on the coin itself?

Good point. I've only bought a handful of these things and all came with certificates of authenticity stating fineness. At 10GBP a pop I imagine wouldn't be worth folks while to forge?

But your right best to be sure what exactly it is your getting. That's why I was wondering if investors might favour recognisable and well known bullion coins that state their fineness on the coin itself?

If you are an investor then stick to the recognisable and well known bullion coins you will be better off in the long run. Forget certificates and such like these have been forged all over the place and they are only worth the paper they are written on. A common one for Sovereigns are certificates relating to the coin being a part of the consignment of the ship Douro.

If you want to collect for numismatic reason then forged certificates add another layer of interest.

I only buy commonly recognised bullion coins and bars. Eagles, maples, phillis, pandas, argor heraraus, credit suis, Johnson Matthey etc. They are more in demand so are easier to sell. I cant see this changing in the future.

Old English silver coins often sell for below spot and this might change as they become more desireable.