SILVER

I do wish you two (rh & pixel) would finally hammer out your differences over a pint or three.

Or in the school gym with boxing gloves.

With me poised to make my first dive into silver (& with someone else's stash) I really would appreciate a steady helm

............ not that I think anyone anywhere is in charge of course :)

Hey Laura B,

I'm not in the fight above, but I do sense that timing is more important with Silver than Gold as it does lurch about more and, by my own confession, has had me shake out of the market at the wrong times and panic in at the wrong times too. Definitely one to drip into on the pullbacks over an extended period.

BTW, also one to put into PHAG or similar rather than real physical unless you REALLY intend to hold for the long-term, simply because of the 15% VAT. That said, I've just taken some delivery of physical which will go in a safety deposit box on the other side of the country for just in case TSHTF.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wish you two (rh & pixel) would finally hammer out your differences over a pint or three.

With me poised to make my first dive into silver (& with someone else's stash) I really would appreciate a steady helm

I would buy monthly, LauraB. That way you will do less harm to yourself and average in nicely. If you buy in Europe you'll save a bundle on tax. UK Tax makes it expensive, compared to gold.

If I had no silver position I would be averaging in, buying a regular amount every month. Trying to always make my purchases on the 26th/27th which is the time the cartel takes it down the most due to options expiry.

I think the times of really cheap silver have passed a lot of the posters by over the last year and half. I see no point always holding 'spare powder' in the hope it will be eventually cheaper. Average in, if its your first buying, around the 26th/27th of the month IMHO.

If I remember right, you already have a solid position in gold... imo it makes sense to either just buy outright or average in to gold if you want to increase that position. If you arlready hold gold, there is no rush to buy silver.

Silver is a different kettle of fish. You should wait on the sidelines for a decent dip in the price in what looks like a very volatile market. Any dip in gold will not be in the magintude of what you see in silver. Common sense stuff really... not sure what the "disagreement" is about tbh. It seems that some are offended that one should wait for lower prices.

As I have a relatively large cash position, I might buy a little silver soon. What I am saying is nothing more than the time-honoured investment principle of making sure to keep some powder dry..... should the big dip come along.

Mining ‘wall of debt' severely constraining global supply growth prospects

The severe debt position faced by the world's biggest mining companies will have an adverse impact on future supply growth and hence could lead to sharply higher commodity prices.

http://www.mineweb.co.za/mineweb/view/mine...4&sn=Detail

Squeeeeze!!

Mining ‘wall of debt' severely constraining global supply growth prospects

The severe debt position faced by the world's biggest mining companies will have an adverse impact on future supply growth and hence could lead to sharply higher commodity prices.

http://www.mineweb.co.za/mineweb/view/mine...4&sn=Detail

Squeeeeze!!

hugzzzzzzzzzz

Iirc were u not selling some silver around $14ish?

I lightened up a little [though held on to most]... around that price somewhere no doubt. I decided I wanted to increase my cash position with which I could hedge for lower prices should they come. I have recently acquired a lot more cash, so now feel comfortable buying a little silver at around these levels.... no rrush, looks like it could go lower. I would still be keeping a decent amount of powder dry for a possible deleveraging/ credit aftershock dip.

For me, it comes down to having both a core bullion position and a hedge with which I am comfortable. Peace of mind is priceless. I do not want either fear or greed, or any emotion, to disturb my equilibrium. :rolleyes:

Ho ho, my money was on yourself or Pixel8r. I couldnt agree more GF. I'm more hoping it goes to 100 in the ST for the house deposit.

If Hoye is right and the ratio goes to 100:1 in the near/mid term future, then he'll be my silver master, and he'll be rich anyway if he followed his own advice. But I can't help it: I have massive doubts about this from the above charts alone.

A useful drop in price today.

Short term I never really know whether to expect it to go up or down. For that reason I would average in over a few weeks.

Not very daring but it keeps the stress level down.

USD 16.09

EUR 10.93

Best of luck. Hope you get a good correction if you decide to average in.

Wow. This is an excellent article on Bloomberg.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=aIGhSsRwtkoE

And for our silver friends:

The ratio of silver to gold, currently at 62.35, will be “cut in half” in the next three to five years as millions of people in South Asia and China buy the metal as an alternative because they can no longer afford gold, Smith said. Silver has soared 46 percent this year to $16.65 an ounce.

But, seriously, $2,000 gold is peanuts. :)

Damn it! - Right in the middle of the olive picking rush. (It's this lousy quality of life we have in Portugal according to the latest country by country stats.)

A thousand thxs for all the input guys.

Who has a favourite live silver chart? - something easy like the BV gold charts please.

I'm sure I could adjust to Kitcos given time, if I must.

Damn it! - Right in the middle of the olive picking rush. (It's this lousy quality of life we have in Portugal according to the latest country by country stats.)

A thousand thxs for all the input guys.

Who has a favourite live silver chart? - something easy like the BV gold charts please.

I'm sure I could adjust to Kitcos given time, if I must.

Hey Laura, you can use the BV chart to show silver - top left. :)

Very pleased with my silver timing for once - got it just at the bottom, I think (for now!!)

EDIT - to make you feel better it's raining and almost dark at 3:45pm here.