SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If gold does well usually silver does good x 2. Taking this approach double long gold & double short silver could see you wiped out very quickly.

Please, anyone, don't short gold if you're not a pro.

As Frizzers one wrote: silver is gold's naughty little sister. She can definitely kick your butt.

In fact, please don't do a naked short anyway, i.e. forward-sell only of you are a producer and for some reason you have to.

Silver is in decline now.

Not sure what you mean. According to the chart, we are still in the recovery from 2008. The little pullback over the last few days is something that happens literally all the time in silver.

So, what do you know that we don't?

http://gold.approximity.com/since1999/Silver_USD_LOG.html

Silver_USD_LOG.png

Not sure what you mean. According to the chart, we are still in the recovery from 2008. The little pullback over the last few days is something that happens literally all the time in silver.

So, what do you know that we don't?

I mean that there is a good chance that you will be able to buy silver for lower prices soon. As was outlined in the post. As I also said in the post "who knows".

Maybe I know that I don't know, and accordingly hedge against the uncertainty. ;)

Maybe I know that I don't know, and accordingly hedge against the uncertainty. ;)

Also, don't forget to hedge the hedge of the hedge.

Then, if you finally don't know and understand anymore what's in your portfolio, I'd say it would be time to start an SIV and a dark pool. Naturally off-balance!

Also, don't forget to hedge the hedge of the hedge.

I won't. Gold is the hedge against uncertainty. The US dollar is a hedge against gold. Yen is a further hedge against the dollar.

Then, if you finally don't know and understand anymore what's in your portfolio, I'd say it would be time to start an SIV and a dark pool. Naturally off-balance!

I don't have a "portfolio".

Nobody can say with any certainty what will happen short term [though volatility looks probable due to market confusion]. That said, most agree here - in some degree - on the long term.

Knowledge and understanding are quite different things.... usually one is had at the expense of the other.

Psychological balance is vital for the investor. :)

TBH, I don't think a serious increase in gold 100% guarantees a serious increase in silver - depends on what happens. In other words, I have little concern for golds outlook - I do have some for silver... Don't think silver is such a 'given' as gold.

Saying that, I'm betting silver will do well - and I've got a high % of the stuff!

here are daily, weekly and monthly support lines for silver. the longest held support/resistance lines are monthly over 4 years and the upper monthly support channel line (umscl) is shown around $16ish. I have added 2 x short-term daily support levels also which are both around $16ish.

post-1635-1257083666_thumb.png

my longer term observations are that we broke through the umscl in September, it is has not been broken in October and would presumably now act as resistance.

if by the end of next month we are below the umcsl, the price might be range bound in the long-term monthly channel with the lower mscl around the $14 mark at present.

so in summary there are 2 marked resistance levels at $16 & $14.

here is a chart showing weekly palladium & silver since Dec08

post-1635-1257189765_thumb.png

palladium has held a textbook channel with a break-out that has since held as resistance; silver has acted similarly with more volatility as is its nature.

edit - as an aside, anyone else thinking we may see pm's go up with the $ for a while - mish eluded to this on kwn last week

edit - as an aside, anyone else thinking we may see pm's go up with the $ for a while - mish eluded to this on kwn last week

If there really is some sort of Shanghai put this might turn out to be the case.

Mish:

Why did gold rise with the dollar January-February? Those three charts above offer a possible answer.

The Euro bottomed against the US$ at the same time the crisis in the Hungarian Forint, Czech Krona, and Polish Zloty subsided vs. the Euro.

Although we would likely see weakness in gold if the dollar rallies, toss that relationship out the window if there is a currency crisis in Eastern Europe, or Asia. This could be another situation where gold rises with the dollar, as it did in the first quarter this year when the stock market collapsed.

Over the longer term, gold's move is a symptom of a flight from fiat currencies and various credit stresses in general, not just the dollar. If you are watching the US$ only, you are watching an incomplete picture. There are significant problems elsewhere.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com...n-european.html

Something big is going on at the comex warehouse.

Silver withdrawals today were;

2,584,384 Oz withdrawn from Dealers Inventory

1,042,628 Oz withdrawn from Customer Inventory

Someone needs lot of silver in a hurry, thats over 3.5 million Oz total in one day. There were only 250,000 Oz delivery notices for the whole of October.

The next few days are going to be very interesting I think.

Someone needs lot of silver in a hurry, thats over 3.5 million Oz total in one day. There were only 250,000 Oz delivery notices for the whole of October.

wow!

like you say, interesting

Pix, the spreadsheets I used to use to track this stopped being updated on 8-Oct. VERY SUSPICIOUS. Where is your data coming from?

My old links:

http://cmegroup.com/trading/energy-metals/...Gold_Stocks.xls

http://cmegroup.com/trading/energy-metals/...lver_Stocks.xls

Pix, the spreadsheets I used to use to track this stopped being updated on 8-Oct. VERY SUSPICIOUS. Where is your data coming from?

My old links:

lemetropolecafe, sorry can't post a link as it is subscription.

My old links:

Check bottom of page:

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/energy/nym...ly-reports.html

COMEX silver

Report Date: 11/2/2009

Activity Date: 10/30/2009

TOTAL REGISTERED -2,584,384

TOTAL ELIGIBLE -1,042,628

COMBINED TOTAL -3,627,012

Silver seems to have less of a 'floor' than gold.

It seems to be falling more and rising less at the moment than gold!

Yes, the monetary aspect of gold seems to be asserting itself well here. Silver is still more a commodity than money in the minds of investors. Not saying that it will not do well in the future.

Silver seems to have less of a 'floor' than gold.

It seems to be falling more and rising less at the moment than gold!

The cartel obviously felt they could get hold of more silver than gold. So dropping silver by a buck and half has cost them 3.5 Million ounces.

silverusdx.gif

Looks like we might have some good buying opps coming up. If the dollar continues to strengthen we could see the DX at 78.5 and silver at 14.50.

Even if this strength in the dollar turns out to be a head fake, it still proves how vulnerable silver is to a dollar bounce.

For the record, I have both large silver and large cash positions at the moment.