SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long term the odds would still be against you if you jump at 55:1.

It's an interesting one. My concern is obviously another round of deleveraging. Maybe I'll hang on to some for the nieces and nephews. :lol:

Even if silver did slump, I think it would recover again relatively quickly, and I'd look to swap say half my gold back to silver once/ if the market sold off on deleveraging. This might involve a Chinese bubble popping.

GoldMoney are doing a customer/visitor survey at the moment, if you visit the homepage. There's a section to let them know what could be improved. As soon as I finished the survey I remembered that paying storage fees with metal, on which commission has already been paid, is something I've thought for a while they should improve - to be more like BV. Needless to say, I didn't mention it. So, if anyone feels the same way and is yet to take the survey...

BV silver: I got an email a week ago to say my account was enabled for silver. So if anyone doesn't have it yet, they might simply be phasing it in. You pay for Gross weight, not Net, so beware when comparing prices.

GoldMoney are doing a customer/visitor survey at the moment, if you visit the homepage. There's a section to let them know what could be improved. As soon as I finished the survey I remembered that paying storage fees with metal, on which commission has already been paid, is something I've thought for a while they should improve - to be more like BV. Needless to say, I didn't mention it. So, if anyone feels the same way and is yet to take the survey...

BV silver: I got an email a week ago to say my account was enabled for silver. So if anyone doesn't have it yet, they might simply be phasing it in. You pay for Gross weight, not Net, so beware when comparing prices.

Is the shine wearing off on GoldMoney? I did the survey, and also asked for further information/ reasons for the recent announcement that cash reserves should not be held for more than 90 days. I am not sure if this is their formal policy yet, as there was no formal correspondence about it. I wonder if they would actually return funds after 90 days, or if it is only a tactic to get people buying metal. I have found GM very convenient for holding US dollars, and it would be a pain to have to open another US dollar account, and then have to transfer funds when the price was more advantageous. It's enough to drive anyone into paper gold! Or complete physical! :lol:

Just done the survery. Mentioned what you posted about the commission and also pointed out that taking delivery of gold from goldmoney (who use bairds) is more expensive than selling gold at goldmoney, transferring the cash back to my bank, then ordering direct from Bairds. don't hold out much hope for them doing anything, but why would I want to pay a premium for a 100g bar that has "goldmoney" stamped on it instead of "Bairds".

GS.jpg

The above chart IMO is very informative of what is going on currently. The gold/silver ratio chart has broken out through the bottom of an ascending trendline which is also confirmed by the RSI.

GSW.jpg

Looking at the weekly chart it shows that we are right at the bottom of the range at 61.15. If we can drop through 61 on the weekly chart, that should be very positive for silver.

More confirmation of my "pixel's lines" chart and price targets of $1350 Gold & $26 silver over the coming months. $1350 / $26 = 51.9 gold/silver ratio.

Meeting on Energy Position Limits and Hedge Exemptions

When: Thursday, January 14, 2010

1:00 pm EST

Viewing/Listening Information:

The CFTC has made available the following options to access the meeting:

1. Watch a live broadcast of the meeting via webcast on www.cftc.gov.

Ted Butler - A MILESTONE MEETING

http://www.investmentrarities.com/ted_butl...y01-11-10.shtml

PRECIOUS-Gold rises as traders add positions after CFTC

14 Jan 2010 - 20:22

* CFTC says to review gold, silver position limits

* Gold investors increase buying after CFTC announcement

* Platinum, palladium could divert gold ETF demand-analyst

(Recasts, updates CFTC position limits proposal, closing prices, market activity, add NEW YORK to dateline)

By Frank Tang and Jan Harvey

NEW YORK/LONDON, Jan 14 (Reuters) - Gold turned higher on Thursday due to the dollar decline and as investors increased buying after the U.S. futures regulator said it would review possible position limits on gold and silver.

The chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission said that the agency's planned meeting in early March to discuss possible position limits on metal futures and options contracts will focus on gold and silver contracts.

Gold futures buying increased in a knee-jerk reaction to avoid possible future measures by the CFTC to rein in speculation in metals trading, dealers said.

The CFTC also unveiled long awaited proposals, as part of the Obama administration's push to overhaul financial markets, to apply to the four most-traded energy contracts on the two major exchanges. [iD:nN14189109]

Spot gold was at $1,141.20 an ounce at 2:31 p.m. EST (1931 GMT), against $1,137.60 late in New York on Wednesday.

U.S. gold futures for February delivery on the COMEX division of the NYMEX settled up $6.20 at $1,143 an ounce.

U.S. crude and natural gas futures were little changed at lower levels after the CFTC proposed to limit the role of big traders in the volatile energy markets.

A review of possible position limits on the COMEX gold and silver market should not affect prices because of the vast physical spot gold market outside of the United States, traders said.

Meanwhile, the euro cut losses against the dollar, and that provided support to gold.

The common unit initially fell as European Central Bank chief Jean-Claude Trichet highlighted the importance of a strong U.S. currency. Euro late traded nearly unchanged against the dollar.

"The euro-dollar rate is the main driver in the short term," said Calyon analyst Robin Bhar. "Energy markets are also off the boil... so there is a combination of factors at play."

SPDR GOLD TRUST STEADIES

Holdings of the largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, New York's SPDR Gold Trust , were steady on Wednesday, having declined nearly 18 tonnes since the New Year. [GOL/SPDR]

Interest in platinum group metals-backed ETFs could detract attention from similar products backed by gold, like the SPDR fund, Goldman Sachs said in a research note.

"The gold ETFs may face increased competition for investor demand in 2010 from the introduction of both the platinum (PPLT) and palladium (PALL) PGM ETFs," the bank said.

"While these new physical-backed ETFs present a downside risk to gold-ETF demand and gold prices, they represent an upside risk to platinum prices, and we continue to recommend a long position in platinum as a 'gold-plus' trade," it added.

Palladium rose more than 5 percent to an 18-month high on Thursday, boosted by strong investment demand on the back of the launch of the new palladium ETF.

Platinum also climbed nearly 2 percent on speculation the ETFs could reduce the amount of the metals available to the market this year.

Spot palladium hit a peak of $445.50 an ounce and was last at $442.50 an ounce against $421.50. Platinum hit a high of $1,612 an ounce, and was last at $1,607 against $1,574. Silver was at $18.66 an ounce versus $18.59.

How much gold can you carry on you when you move from one continent to another? Is there any restriction?

It depends where you are going from and to and what type of gold it is, have a quick look at this post as it may help you. If not tell me where from, where to, how much, when, a picture of what you look like and I will mug help you :D

gold_6_month_silver-2.png

The ratio is finally back below 60. Interesting that the ratio is improving when bullion prices are in decline. No doubt this is due to gold's recent "parabolic" rise from which it is now consolidating.

As a long term trader of silver, and an accumulater of gold, I put more importance on the ratio than the momentary prices. The only certainty with prices is they will be volatile... that and prices will rise in the aggregate of course.

gold_6_month_silver-2.png

The ratio is finally back below 60. Interesting that the ratio is improving when bullion prices are in decline. No doubt this is due to gold's recent "parabolic" rise from which it is now consolidating.

As a long term trader of silver, and an accumulater of gold, I put more importance on the ratio than the momentary prices. The only certainty with prices is they will be volatile... that and prices will rise in the aggregate of course.

I see it at around 62.5 this am after potentially bouncing of a MT support level. Would make sense if the market is about to turn

I see it at around 62.5 this am after potentially bouncing of a MT support level. Would make sense if the market is about to turn

Yeah, we are due a bounce. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the ratio well into the 50s in the next few months. I think I'll jump around 55... though I know a lot here are looking for lower ratios.