SILVER

You're wise to be concerned. There will always be a currency to sell in to (possibly foreign), in my mind and in an extreme scenario the real problem will be agreeing a price and closing the deal before prices change too drastically. Perhaps it's possible to buy a house in a private sale with gold/silver, as it solves this problem... I guess anything's possible.

Personally I will be selling my holdings in to strength for property assuming the timing is right and if there's anything left over I will probably look to buy over sold shares.

Note: You will always be able to sell bullion to a bullion dealer, they buy at any price.

Hi Nobla, welcome to GEI.

I'd like to throw out a question about exit strategy, if I may.

I'm sorry if I seem preoccuppied with how I'm going to get out pf PM's, but as a physical long-term holder, having a pile of gold and silver in my safe seems pretty alien to me, even after all this time. Plus, I am on the verge of making another purchase that will put me about 40% in PM's. I am totally comfortable with this level of exposure, but can't help wondering whether buying is the easy part.

Whichever way I look at it, I can't see a happy ending for the fiat money experiment. In cgnao's recent post (07/04/2010) he warns about "the end of the financial world as we know it" again. I like cgnao's posts BTW.

If PM prices go "to the moon" as we all hope they will, won't this mean that that the value of paper money will have been crushed across the board. So, as the ultimate store of wealth will there be anything worth exiting into and whose going to be a buyer at sky-high PM prices.

Am I making any sense?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If PM prices go "to the moon" as we all hope they will, won't this mean that that the value of paper money will have been crushed across the board. So, as the ultimate store of wealth will there be anything worth exiting into and whose going to be a buyer at sky-high PM prices.

Regardless of the quantity of PM's you hold, I will always buy them from you for 90% of their value :P

If they have doubled in price you will still have made money ;)

I was in Verona recently - with my wife. She went into Juliette's house and on the famous balcony, while I made use of the coin shop in the yard. Some nice and very reasonably priced silver coins.

Perhaps she was hoping you would call up to her with romantic sayings instead you were stroking the silver coins? :rolleyes:

12-18 months away from now...

Yes, I'd agree that silver is still cheap here. But..

cue: split personality, '12-18 mths from now will nearly take us to Prechters low for silver in 2012', a land where we can all 'buy gobs more of whatever commodity we are in love with'.

Steady as she goes and buy whatever interests you, a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Don't overstretch to buy something you would despise if it fell to 4 dollars again. (licks chops).

And then consider the upside, too. 20, 30, 50 100, 300 dollars.(licks chops)

Yes, I'd agree that silver is still cheap here. But..

cue: split personality, '12-18 mths from now will nearly take us to Prechters low for silver in 2012', a land where we can all 'buy gobs more of whatever commodity we are in love with'.

Steady as she goes and buy whatever interests you, a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Don't overstretch to buy something you would despise if it fell to 4 dollars again. (licks chops).

And then consider the upside, too. 20, 30, 50 100, 300 dollars.(licks chops)

Silver and gold both spiking here. Is it a spike or a break-out though? I don't trust silver to hang onto its gains like I do gold, which is why I moved my silver into gold and dollars. But the speculator in me is still fascinated by silver, and will be keen to swap my dollar hedge for silver from time to time.... but only on the lows.

Silver and gold both spiking here. Is it a spike or a break-out though? I don't trust silver to hang onto its gains like I do gold, which is why I moved my silver into gold and dollars. But the speculator in me is still fascinated by silver, and will be keen to swap my dollar hedge for silver from time to time.... but only on the lows.

If I was CERTAIN that I would be able to buy my G and S back in the future then I might be tempted to sell a portion. However I am far from certain about that... and I have the feeling these days that whatever I do I am being led by the nose into a man-trap. (swigs anti-paranoia pills). There is a lot of agry bargy out there and conflicting information from very good sources. Sell, hold, pile in, pile out, we're going up, strap in, we're going down, eject. I just wish they'd all go away sometimes and leave my to cruise on auto pilot, think about my garden, breathe the fresh air...which I think I will keeping just half an eye on the other stuff.

It maybe best to do nothing at all. Well, hardly. ;)

If I was CERTAIN that I would be able to buy my G and S back in the future then I might be tempted to sell a portion. However I am far from certain about that... and I have the feeling these days that whatever I do I am being led by the nose into a man-trap. (swigs anti-paranoia pills). There is a lot of agry bargy out there and conflicting information from very good sources. Sell, hold, pile in, pile out, we're going up, strap in, we're going down, eject. I just wish they'd all go away sometimes and leave my to cruise on auto pilot, think about my garden, breathe the fresh air...which I think I will keeping just half an eye on the other stuff.

It maybe best to do nothing at all. Well, hardly. ;)

I'm hearing ya, which is why I'm basically bunkered down in gold. Forget about 10% for insurance.... think more about 60% as a prime currency.

That said, I'm keeping a decent sized dollar hedge... and it is only this I would trade for volatile though relatively safe silver on silver lows.

I'm hearing ya, which is why I'm basically bunkered down in gold. Forget about 10% for insurance.... think more about 60% as a prime currency.

That said, I'm keeping a decent sized dollar hedge... and it is only this I would trade for volatile though relatively safe silver on silver lows.

Yep! I think you have a good plan there. If I had a better frame of mind then I would try it at GM/BV with a PORTION of my silver holdings. But tbh I can't be bothered and never intended to be ducking and diving (ie living in this world?). I may well be forced there however...

I see your long term rationale is to gather more gold ounces. That's cool. Long term I think the fundamentals for silver are just fine, too. The industrial metal/short term/march to the bottom is ok by me. If that happens I'll just double up on silver, if I may. I have confidence for the final chapters in the 'Underpriced Silver' saga.

I also like the historical link which is disturbingly and surprisingly (to me) fascinating. Of course I am talking about numismatic bits and bobs here which tell the story of Money and how we have ridden roughshod all over it. In the future it'll be one for my kids to learn all about. Bars are, by comparison, just heavy, cold and rather inanimate.

My intention with silver was always just to rid myself of fiat rather than rampant speculation (in the main). And it still is really. The artistry and history alone make them fine investments to me. To top it off by being a valuable metal is a massive bonus ;) and sort of makes collecting stamps or watches or railway sets an utter waste of time- even if those hobbies have their own merits. Collecting real money and using fiat junk to pay for it is a real pleasure. ;) I am so grateful to the sellers and dealers.

Courtesy of Strawboss on GIM. "I am thinking we may get to $30 in this move while gold will get to $1350, which will give us a ratio of 45."

Are any silver bugs considering swapping some of their stash to gold once the ratio gets below 60?

I'd swap a little gold for silver, but only if the ratio went to 80/ 90 or so.... and then swap back on 60 or so. I think the old range of 80/50 could be too optimistic in this environment.

A conservative approach.

Are any silver bugs considering swapping some of their stash to gold once the ratio gets below 60?

I'd swap a little gold for silver, but only if the ratio went to 80/ 90 or so.... and then swap back on 60 or so. I think the old range of 80/50 could be too optimistic in this environment.

A conservative approach.

Maybe some...but at a much lower ratio than 60!

You will not shake these strong hands, no matter how negative a view YOU have on silver.

Maybe some...but at a much lower ratio than 60!

You will not shake these strong hands, no matter how negative a view YOU have on silver.

I'm not negative on silver. I just don't think silver will behave like gold.

I am super bullish on gold, and also bullish on both the dollar and silver.... which is why I think it makes sense to accumulate gold, and trade silver/dollar.

I'm not negative on silver. I just don't think silver will behave like gold.

I am super bullish on gold, and also bullish on both the dollar and silver.... which is why I think it makes sense to accumulate gold, and trade silver/dollar.

Buy high sell low kind of trading :lol:

Sold for around $15.50. The bulk had been bought at around 12/ 13/ 14 dollars... so all up at least broke even.

Cue the RH fans boys.

As I said a few times now, most of my core holding in silver went into gold. Comprendo?

Isn't the reason to trade something to make a profit from it?

Isn't the reason to trade something to make a profit from it?

Yes, I made a 10% profit on my trading position which was sold for dollars at 17.90.

Previously, I had a large core buy and hold position in silver [non-trade... waiting for a lower ratio etc] besides a core holding in gold. I was treating gold and silver the same, though I'd trade a small part of that silver. I no longer think silver is a "leverage" on gold, and think it will remain very volatile against the dollar, hence the conversion to gold.

Now with a larger core holding in gold, I will feel much more relaxed to trade a large position in silver [looking to increase it]. I'm bullish on both silver and dollar, and I don't think the volatilty we've seen between them is going to change anytime soon. This silver/dollar trade is also a dollar hedge against a rather large gold holding.

Different strokes for different folks. Anyway, I'm sure silver will break out at some point for the silver bugs.