SILVER

No resistance would be nice because physical in the uk is similar to the dollar price thanks to vat and premiums.

Buy via Goldmoney or Bullionvault for no VAT or premium on physical. I have most of my silver stash at GM, keep a STHF position in coins which I had to pay VAT on.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know source, but mine, Nick Laird (sharelynx), is about as reliable as it gets.

Other sources confirm, just below $25 was the level. (Might be the difference between spot and future though)

Eg http://www.futuresbuzz.com/silverlt.html

SI1980.gif

London silver was fixed price $ 25 in September 1980,

According to The Silver Institute, an American industrial

group

London silver was fixed price $ 25 in September 1980,

According to The Silver Institute, an American industrial

group

I cannot quite confirm this, but I don't have intraday data. According to the Approximity database, the London Fixing silver high in Sep. 1980 was $23.54/oz. See also the zoom-in chart below.

http://gold.approximity.com/1979-1980/Silver_USD.html

Silver_USD.png

It's amazing the speed at which this has come down. It fell as quickly in the70s , then went parabolic , or whatever the opposite of parabolic is, in 1980.

I guess/hope we still have that to come.

But there is support here at 200. We could easily make a low here, as per 1990s

When does NW data come out? It must be fairly soon.

The fundamentals point lower IMO.

I think Sep. came out quite a while ago, so we have to wait for the Oct. data early Nov.

I cannot quite confirm this, but I don't have intraday data. According to the Approximity database, the London Fixing silver high in Sep. 1980 was $23.54/oz. See also the zoom-in chart below.

../..

GF - you may find this link interesting

http://www.safehaven.com/article/5133/the-...r-spike-of-1980

Also, there is the matter of how high that grand silver peak actually ascended to. Various numbers gravitate around $50 give or take a dollar or two. According to Paul Sarnoff's book "Silver Bulls", January silver contracts topped out at $49 with a low of $37 and a close of $44. However, Stephen Fay's work "The Great Silver Bubble", suggests that it went as high as $50.50 on the COMEX exchange but goes on to state that the record was actually set three days earlier on the CBOT exchanges where it topped out at $52.50. For historical purposes we go with the $50.50 on that notable Monday afternoon.

It's amazing the speed at which this has come down. It fell as quickly in the70s , then went parabolic , or whatever the opposite of parabolic is, in 1980.

I guess/hope we still have that to come.

Curious as to why you think we could easily make a low here. Given that your commentary here and elsewhere suggests that the gold bull has much further to go (perhaps doubling from here) this would imply that you think houses could easily double from here too. Is this really what you think is easily possible? Or am I missing something?

Inflation-adjusted we're not there yet.

http://gold.approximity.com/since1968/Silv...SD_CPI-adj.html

Silver_USD_CPI-adj.png

In the period of 1970-1980s, inflation got out of control which contributed to the spike in precious metal prices seen on your chart Goldfinger. I know there has already been alot of inflation, especially in house prices, but the fear is that all the QE and loss of confidense in the fiat money systems will cause an inflation event some say will make the 1970 look like a "walk in the park". So to inflation adjust the price and spike of the 70's with todays figures, before the feared coming inflation event would significantly underestimate the extent of the move that is to come.