SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have mentioned this on the Bullion vs SLVR thread but worth a mention here. On the radio show this week JP mentions he loaded up on Silver on Friday. One to watch this week.

Damn ...... nice find!! Looking at the cantor index commodities listing ....... Gold up +50 silver DOWN 65 ....... looks like Gold will lead the way for a Platinum and silver recovery on monday!!!

Personally, I like Gold better then Silver, but that doesn't mean I won't buy a junior silver company if they are undervalued. Take Duran Ventures. Their property in Peru has a huge copper zone and a huge silver lead zinc zone. I'm very bearish on copper but the stock is cheap if you look at the potential of the copper zone plus the potential of the silver zone, which the company believes has 10X more potential then the copper.

So it comes down to choosing your specific stocks very wisely.

Puplava's bullish on silver...

if we're headed into recession, silver may not be the best thing to hold. Do you have a view, Dr B?

i think silver will tend to move with gold.

there remains an annual draw on silver inventories, i believe

High River Gold has a massive high grade silver resource in Russia. We ate dinner with one of their geologists at PDAC. They have (or will have later this year) enough gold production, however, that the leverage to silver price probably wouldn't be that significant. Lots of country risk also, I believe, although a couple people at PDAC tried to convince me that Russia is safe for investment now.

The geologist we ate with works in Burkina Faso (sp?). He said he feels perfectly safe in that country. I have avoided investing in Africa for the most part, although I did invest quite a bit in Rio Narcea last year (which is starting to pay off finally). Rio has a gold mine in Mauritania that will be starting up this year.

The thing that I question about silver is....isn't there a massive amount of supply coming online in the next few years? I see all these base metal companies building these huge mines where silver is a byproduct. Then you have the Penasquitos and Prognoz's that will be hitting the market in a few years. How long can silver prices stay high if production increases?

The thing that I question about silver is....isn't there a massive amount of supply coming online in the next few years? I see all these base metal companies building these huge mines where silver is a byproduct. Then you have the Penasquitos and Prognoz's that will be hitting the market in a few years. How long can silver prices stay high if production increases?

I agree. The opposite is happening for Gold. You have South African gold production at it's lowest levels in years, majors can't replace their reserves, etc etc. Gold will trump all which is why I am heavy into the gold juniors.

one to watch in Burkino Faso is AIM Resources: chart uk:AIMR

- a good way to play zinc

they will be listing in Canada, and that may help the stock price, since AIM "has indigestion" right now.

BK is one of the "good countries" in black Africa. Very poor, but little corruption.

Botswanna is another. And Zambia and South Africa can be okay too.

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case you were losing your doubts about the potential of silver, here is why we are seeing all that resistance at $14-15. When it breaks through, heaven knows where it's going to go.

And it will break through, at the moment it is, as they say, building cause. Meanwhile look at the support it has at around $11:

simonthwg9.gif

David Morgan predicted a price of USD 18 for Silver April 07.

SLV is at 16.88

I am still learning re Silver - which instrument price was David Morgan referring to

or

is commonly used to follow the price trend?

Thanks,

Arn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am starting to research Canadian silver mining juniors with a view to establishing a small portfolio. The genral consensus on here is that AIM is a rip off and that the TSXv is the place to invest. I am looking to open a new account with TD Waterhouse to trade the venture exchange. JP had interesting comments on investing in Canadian juniors today and the different stages that a mining company passes through. Kimber currently looks interesting. Any other thoughts anyone - a good place to start research is here:

http://www.silverstrategies.com/defaultIE.aspx

Hi. This is my first post on your forum.

I joined because I am very interested in silver and I think this thread could be valuable to me. I will probably look around the other threads but I think this will likely be my main residence.

Aside from the industrial aspect of silver, here are some of my thoughts regarding the monetary aspects of silver bullion.

My position is that I think silver bullion is a great thing to own. But you have to own it, take personal delivery and work out a quick access type of safe storage for it. Keep it small, 1 oz, 5 oz etc. It's all about logistical diversity. ETFs, pools, allocated storage accounts are various methods of owning or obtaining exposure to precious metals, but you're always dependent on various factors and processes, including the banking system, the internet, even the electrical grid, all working together at any one time for liquidity.

In addition, and more importantly, silver is very special because the average person can afford to make use of it. The higher the monetary (investment) demand for metals, the closer we will move to the classical silver to gold exchange ratio.

I think it is important to remember that the definition of a financial crisis is a lack of liquidity.

• 2 weeks later...

We've heard it all before, but ... from this week's Moneyweek:

Silver: “the single best asset you can own”

Since MoneyWeek grew keen on it in 2004, silver – both an industrial and a precious metal – has risen from under $8 to almost $14 an ounce. And the longterm outlook remains compelling. The market is extremely tight. Sixty-five years of consumption exceeding production has “decimated world silver inventories”, says Ted Butler in Investment Rarities. With mined silver undershooting demand for the past 15 years, government stockpiles have fallen from 2.2 billion ounces in 1990 to around 300 million. Experts reckon that, by 2010, inventories will be “critically low”, says Kevin Kerr on Marketwatch.com. Moreover, it’s hard to boost production rapidly as silver is largely a by-product in other metal mines. Industrial applications for silver are on the rise, according to metals researcher GFMS. Silver is used in film processing, medical products (it kills germs without harming the body), electrical appliances and a series of high-tech devices. Batteries, superconductors and microcircuits are areas in which new uses for silver are being explored and where new demand should increase exponentially, says James DiGeorgia of Gold & Energy Advisor. Industrial demand should keep rising long term as expanding middle classes in emerging economies aspire to Western lifestyles. But industrial demand is only part of the story. Few realise that above-ground silver is actually rarer than gold, making it a better hedge against inflation and economic turmoil, says Butler. Investment demand is also taking off as investors seek a hedge against depreciating currencies and inflation. Last year saw the launch of a US silver exchange-traded fund, which has hoovered up a third of the silver available in the market – a reminder that with a total of 300 million ounces worth $4.2bn, the market is tiny. If even a small amount of money flows into the silver market from retail investors, hedge funds and pension funds, silver “will almost certainly reach” its 1980 peak of $49 an ounce, says Mark O’Byrne of Gold & Silver Investments. And plenty of gold investors are likely to “jump on silver” too once the rising price highlights its rarity, says Butler. Silver is the “single best asset you can own today”. Investors can now buy in through a London-listed ETF (SLVR).

Silver: “the single best asset you can own” ©BLOOMBERG Rarer than gold

Hi, I started a thread on the investor education section, but Frizzers advised me to join this one, so apolgies about the double post (mods please delete my original thread if need be).

Let me ask my original question in a slightly different way:

If you wanted exposure to silver and you had to choose between either an ETF (e.g SLVR) or an ETC (e.g PHAG), which would you go for and why?

Is there any real benefit of one over the other or, as they are traded like shares, are they much of a muchness?

I realise the etf tracks an index and the etc tracks the spot price but other than that is there anything else i need to be aware of?

Many thanks.

• 1 month later...
If you wanted exposure to silver and you had to choose between either an ETF (e.g SLVR) or an ETC (e.g PHAG), which would you go for and why?

Maybe not the answer you want but personally I sleep easier knowing that I own silver rather than paper shares that may or may not represent some silver assets or more probably just yet more paper also purportedly representing silver assets.

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion on silver and where to buy in UK - www.silvermarket.co.uk is run by Goldline.co.uk (aka Baird & Co) and I have never had a problem dealing with them. In fact I've been buying Krugers from them for 20 years, and recently started looking at their silver bars too.

They sell 100g, 250g and 500g bars which they actually manufacture in-house themselves, so you can always agree a price with them even if out of stock 'cos they just make them up.

Call me old-fashioned but i'm sticking to physical...thats my two penneth. And as for attempting VAT fraud on the bars, forget it sunshine... :)

by the way... what does 'the harry potter place' mean...? I've had a look in that outlet before but can't see the comparison...

Interesting charts, Frizzers!

With the £ nearly up to $2.01, silver spot is now down to only £6.12! That's the same as two pints of beer! What a bargain. I'm thinking of making my first physical purchase - currently favouring importing 100 1oz Maples from the US or Canada, as even after postage and VAT this still seems to be the cheapest way. Am I missing something? Is there any other import duty to pay other than the VAT?

Is it also correct that NO silver bullion coins escape the dreaded VAT on import - I thought I had read that circulated legal tender coins were exempt, but I may have misunderstood.

Interesting charts, Frizzers!

With the £ nearly up to $2.01, silver spot is now down to only £6.12! That's the same as two pints of beer! What a bargain. I'm thinking of making my first physical purchase - currently favouring importing 100 1oz Maples from the US or Canada, as even after postage and VAT this still seems to be the cheapest way. Am I missing something? Is there any other import duty to pay other than the VAT?

Is it also correct that NO silver bullion coins escape the dreaded VAT on import - I thought I had read that circulated legal tender coins were exempt, but I may have misunderstood.

I purchased physical through the Perth Mint Certificate Programme. As offered by Gold and Silver Investments Ltd.. They will take payment in Euro, USD or GBP and convert at a very competitive exchange rate. They will deliver for you to take possession or you can avail of free unallocated storage. Backed by tax payers of Western Australia and rated AAA so quite safe I would say. Worth a look as you can avoid VAT this way.