SILVER

well, they will charge you vat first (15%). Then they will charge you for importing silver from the US. Then they will charge you the handling fee (usually £8).

the best way is to find someone off ebay who will describe the silver as something else and put a lower value on it.

Are you sure they charge a Import & Handling Fees?

I didn’t come across any charges when I last looked up importing silver (orther than VAT). I have never bought from outside the EU myself.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure they charge a Import & Handling Fees?

I didn’t come across any charges when I last looked up importing silver (orther than VAT). I have never bought from outside the EU myself.

silver is one of the items that carries extra duty if it comes from the US - something to do with a trade disagreement we had a while ago. I think its mentioned on the chard website and i have personally been stung by it.

Was it you who posted a pic of a one kilo coin? It was a good pic on the palm of the hand giving a sense of the size. What are the dimensions of these coins?

That was me. I'm not sure of the dimensions but I'll measure it tonight if I can remember to.

I tried posting it again but I can't work out how to reference an existing attachement and the forum software tells me that dynamic pages in the IMG tags are not allowed. Here's the link though...

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....post&id=789

CID were charging 7% VAT at the time I bought it.

silver is one of the items that carries extra duty if it comes from the US - something to do with a trade disagreement we had a while ago. I think its mentioned on the chard website and i have personally been stung by it.

Thanks for the information. I didn’t know silver from USA has different import charges

That was me. I'm not sure of the dimensions but I'll measure it tonight if I can remember to.

I tried posting it again but I can't work out how to reference an existing attachement and the forum software tells me that dynamic pages in the IMG tags are not allowed. Here's the link though...

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....post&id=789

CID were charging 7% VAT at the time I bought it.

i got one as well - the kooks etc are slightly smaller diameter and slightly thicker than the libertads. The 1kg coins are really impressive though - i'm sure they will be the last bit of silver to go when i eventually sell.

I am curious to why you think that won't happen. We are in a time of great volatility, the GS ratio ranged between around 45 to 83 last year.

All i think it would take is a short term squeeze on the very limited silver supply.

I'm not saying it won't happen this year, only that I wouldn't bet on it.

Longer term, maybe next year, I think it is quite likely.

We need to be patient. 2008 was a lesson for many of us and we need to be prepared for long sideways periods. Having said that I am optimistic about 2009. I think a big upleg to USD 1200 is likely and maybe even USD 1400, but whether in the 1st half or end of this year I don't know.

Can someone please tell me if there's anything wrong in what i've said, because if not, i think i'll be buying some from First Majestic?

And again, does anyone think there would be much of a problem selling First Majestic coins?

thanks in advance

There is no longer any extra charge on imports from the US, this was suspended in 2005 but you still cannot import it from Myanmar. You have to pay VAT and unless you get a certificate from HMRC to say that the VAT has been pre-paid or deferred then the courier will charge you the VAT plus a collection fee. see link and link

The reality is that if you import coin bring in Eagles or Libertads otherwise bring in bar. Basic silver rounds seem like a good idea but the only place to sell them and get good value are places like eBay. If you buy them for investment, then when you try to sell them on you will get 70% - 80% of the value as they will have to be assayed, bar for assay is better and cheaper to process.

I'm not saying it won't happen this year, only that I wouldn't bet on it.

Longer term, maybe next year, I think it is quite likely.

We need to be patient. 2008 was a lesson for many of us and we need to be prepared for long sideways periods. Having said that I am optimistic about 2009. I think a big upleg to USD 1200 is likely and maybe even USD 1400, but whether in the 1st half or end of this year I don't know.

Here's a report by David Morgan that may put a different perspective on your current thinking.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20090108/s...s-and-views.htm

5367.jpg

I think silver is a leveraged version of the price movements in gold. You agree that gold may well get to $1400 this year, where would that put silver, at that time, in you opinion? I think it would mean that silver would be at about $26 per ounce.

I think as gold moves down silver moves down more, so the G:S ratio get bigger. But equally as gold improves silver improves more, so the ration gets lower. I do not think that what that is going on at the moment (deflation scare) has changed this relationship that they seem to have.

Here are the 3 coins previously mentioned. I would have to say the picture still doesn't do the coins justice in either finish or size, they are perfectly finished and BIG.

Out of interest, which do you find the best?

If you mean which out of the 3 is my favourite, then I would order them Kookaburra, Lunar and then the Koala, but it's close. If you mean 1KG coins over bars, the coins win hands down, but again it's fairly close. Bars are of course more practical and I like the historical look of a nice tarnished silver bar. :D

Out of interest, which do you find the best?

If you mean which out of the 3 is my favourite, then I would order them Kookaburra, Lunar and then the Koala, but it's close. If you mean 1KG coins over bars, the coins win hands down, but again it's fairly close. Bars are of course more practical and I like the historical look of a nice tarnished silver bar. :D

Thanks I will look out for a Kookaburra as my first 1 KG coin, which will please Steve I am sure :D

I haven't and I won't, don't worry! I do however handle the bars as much as possible with my hands, they look good tarnished.

Dont touch em' with your hands! The moisture from your hands will happily ruin the surface. Always wear gloves if you must handle them, and keep them in their original containers.

I think thats why dealers offer low prices when they buy them off you - because silver tarnishes.

I haven't and I won't, don't worry! I do however handle the bars as much as possible with my hands, they look good tarnished.

the background of the koala looks smooth - is that right? the 1ozers have a faceted background.

i have the kook and the lunar and the kook is definitely the best.

Yes, It is perfectly smooth and frosted for lack of the correct terminology. If they did a 1KG panda I would be all over that like a rash.

the background of the koala looks smooth - is that right? the 1ozers have a faceted background.

i have the kook and the lunar and the kook is definitely the best.

I think silver is a leveraged version of the price movements in gold. You agree that gold may well get to $1400 this year, where would that put silver, at that time, in you opinion? I think it would mean that silver would be at about $26 per ounce.

I think as gold moves down silver moves down more, so the G:S ratio get bigger. But equally as gold improves silver improves more, so the ration gets lower. I do not think that what that is going on at the moment (deflation scare) has changed this relationship that they seem to have.

Yes, but I try not to get overoptimistic.

1400/26 = 53.85

While 1400 might be possible, I'd say I think that 1200 is likely by year's end.

1200/50 = $24 for silver

1200/80 = $15

1200/100 = $12

I'm prepared to see the gold/silver ratio stay high. Given the onset of severe recession now, the reduced industrial demand for silver might keep the ratio high for quite some time. I'm not saying it probably will, but it seems quite possible.

I keep an open mind and, as I said, I try not to get too optimistic.

$1200 and $15 this year wouldn't be bad and higher, which is quite possible, I would regard as a bonus.

$1500 and $30 would be great but maybe that's for 2010 or 2011.

I'm going to be getting some silver soon, but even after reading through many of the topics on here, I'm still a bit unsure of whether to go for physical or the GM route. Latter is better from the price point of view, but I'd really like to have a bit of physical stashed as well (and the coins are so nice!) though the markups plus VAT are pretty steep. Perhaps a mixture of the two?

Got to get me a 1kg Kookaburra :D