SILVER

Just so you know. If you are after physical silver you could try http://www.guernseymint.com they are very competitive compared to CID. I can't remember what CID charge for small volume P&P, but £7 rings a bell. So for 1KG...

GM £312.00 + £46.80(VAT@15%) = £358.80 + £10 P&P = £368.80

CID £382.08 + £7 P&P = £389.08

Or for a big purchase sail over and pick them up. Roughly £100 for a round trip, save on VAT and postage.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must declare to customs and pay the VAT or you are breaking the law.

Hmm.. How does this work? What's the limit? If I bought the coins in France, do I have to pay VAT? It was paid in the EU, aren't we all one happy nation? Or is it because people are abusing the channel islands VAT freeness and the government demands its percentage of the pie?

Hmm.. How does this work? What's the limit? If I bought the coins in France, do I have to pay VAT? It was paid in the EU, aren't we all one happy nation? Or is it because people are abusing the channel islands VAT freeness and the government demands its percentage of the pie?

If you buy in an EU country you will pay VAT at the point of purchase. You don’t need to pay anymore VAT in any other EU country.

If you buy in the channel islands you don’t pay VAT at the point of purchase so you must pay VAT at the first EU country on your travels.

None of the above applies for non EU residents because they claim the VAT back when they leave the EU with the goods.

http://news.silverseek.com/TedButler/1232473167.php

I’ve compared the amount of silver, in ounces and dollar terms, in per capita terms, namely, how much there is if evenly divided among the earth’s 6.5 billion inhabitants. For each man, woman and child, there exists 0.15 of an ounce.

:o

Hmm, silver trending down in the midst of a great day for Gold. Mysterious. Not yet a 'safe haven' in the same way it would seem.

No mystery. It's just one of the dirty tricks by the Gnomes of Zurich.

I received 2 x 5KG silver Umicore bars from the Guernsey Mint today, what a bargain... Not only were they the cheapest in the first place, but the value on each box was marked at £245 and albeit I was over charged based on the box value by 90p, I still only paid £74.40 VAT for both boxes... The VAT should have been £420.30 for both bars, what a winner.

I would also add, 5KG is a nice size, I had it in my mind that they were bigger than they actually are, I recommend them.

I received 2 x 5KG silver Umicore bars from the Guernsey Mint today, what a bargain... Not only were they the cheapest in the first place, but the value on each box was marked at £245 and albeit I was over charged based on the box value by 90p, I still only paid £74.40 VAT for both boxes... The VAT should have been £420.30 for both bars, what a winner.

I'd would also add, 5KG is a nice size, I had it in my mind that they were bigger than they actually are, I recommend them.

Confused and intrigued and tempted to try, do you think this is a mistake that could possibly be replicated?

I have a feeling it was deliberate. The mistake was made twice. I can only assume that they have third party insurance and so the box value marked for customs isn't relevant should it go missing. I can recommend them as a company as well, they provide a good professional service.

Confused and intrigued and tempted to try, do you think this is a mistake that could possibly be replicated?

I'm looking forward to when it hits £9.1, since that was the cost of the most expensive bit of averaging-in I did a while back. Luckily the gold I also got at the same time has more than made up for the silver losses.

Back in black, baby! :D

Likewise :D

Reminds me of those halcyon days last year when it spiked to 19-20+ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just bought some more Great Panther within my ISA. GPR has got to be putting on some strength again soon.

pphp.gif

At the moment. It has been outperforming gold lately though. Watch the GS ratio.

http://www.goldpreciousmetals.com/ratios.asp

Nice link Pixel8r, but I don't like the website's conclusion of the current ratio as low, mid or high.

Look at my post - #209 in this thread. I think the ratio is currently high not mid for this bull run in PMs.

On a separate note, I was about to convert a reasonable amount of £ to silver, but I guess I better wait now for a dip.

http://news.silverseek.com/TedButler/1232473167.php

...For each man, woman and child, there exists 0.15 of an ounce...

:o

I did some "research" a while ago. There's less than 1oz of gold each too, so you really don't need much to be rich!

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....ost&p=60146

With the difference in quantities of gold and silver, and with gold going back into orbit, it looks like the silver football is held even deeper in the water right now.

With the difference in quantities of gold and silver, and with gold going back into orbit, it looks like the silver football is held even deeper in the water right now.

As long as the ratio is this high, I will mostly buy silver, or palladium.