SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: apple's 2009 laptop sales are goint to be sooooooo bad compared to last year.

The new Mac Book Pro does looks very nice though, have you seen one yet?

The new Mac Book Pro does looks very nice though, have you seen one yet?

yeah, got one just before christmas. apple do make good laptops, but most of the stuff they make now is just very well marketed horse cr4p.

if all the people that only buy apple stuff because it's 'cool' stopped buying apple stuff tomorrow then apple would be well and truely fooked.

yeah, got one just before christmas. apple do make good laptops, but most of the stuff they make now is just very well marketed horse cr4p.

if all the people that only buy apple stuff because it's 'cool' stopped buying apple stuff tomorrow then apple would be well and truely fooked.

I would disagree;

iPhone

Cinema Display

Mac Book Pro

Mac Pro

Mac Mini

All great in my opinion, in that order.

Silver consumption is almost certainly also decreasing.

Maybe, the switch to cleaner fuels such as solar cells will exert increasing demand on silver resources (and gold)

http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~bng/solarcells.html

'Another important aspect to consider is which electrodes to use. Typically the substrate is coated with the electrode to which the holes travel, while the top of the film is coated with the electrode to which the electrons travel. One side must be transparent to allow sunlight to enter. There are several substrates, such as glass coated with indium zinc oxide or indium tin oxide, that are promising for use with charge conducting polymers and titania. Their affect on the self-assembly of the titania network, as well as their energy levels, must be studied to determine their efficacy. The energy levels of the electrode on top of the film must be studied to ensure that the electrons will transfer from the titania to the electrode, while not allowing electrons to transfer back to the polymer. Gold and silver are two possibilities.

Over the next year, a new kind of excitonic solar cell will be developed that may improve the current technology in terms of cost and efficiency. Research must focus on understanding, then optimizing, energy transfer within the cell. The titania, surface ligands, polymers, and electrodes must all be studied in depth to optimize the system.'

Silver: A Trader's Paradise

by: Roland Watson January 27, 2009 | about stocks: SLV

http://seekingalpha.com/article/116680-sil...cle_lb_articles

Silver continues to lag behind gold as the two metals in general struggle against this deflationary setting. Gold has benefitted from some of the fears regarding the stability of the credit and banking system but not enough to propel it to new highs.

The counter-asset to gold and silver – the US Dollar – continues to enjoy its season in the sun as mass redemptions and fund liquidations force investors to park their wealth into the safest perceived asset during a deflation and that is cash. Indeed, a look at a graph of the US Dollar Index (in red) versus the S&P 500 since this credit crisis began shows a recent negative correlation between stocks and cash.

saupload_dollar_thumb1.jpg

Prior to the market panic, the markets and the dollar generally drifted down together, but once the realities of this financial crisis began to set in with some big hitters getting clobbered themselves, the dollar began to take off in an inverse direction to equities. Note the dollar surges as the bad news hit the headlines. Once the big equity sell off finished in November, we had a rally and the dollar sank as a safe haven albeit temporarily. But the news then shifted to the effects of the credit crunch and that is the news that now dominates – recession and mass layoffs across the board.

Where do people park their assets during recession? The answer is cash or its nearest derivatives and that is how things are panning out just now. So how does this bode for silver? The chart below shows how silver is struggling to get any head of steam up in this environment.

Since the dollar topped in November, silver has put in a 45% appreciation and has retraced about 29% of its crash from $21.34 to $8.47. Meanwhile gold has just about retraced a Fibonacci 62% of its down move. Clearly, silver’s role as an industrial metal is dampening its role as monetary metal as commercial silver users cut orders to refineries and work off their excess inventories.

saupload_silver_thumb1.jpg

As you can see, silver broke above short term resistance (the horizontal line) but faces a stiffer test in the rising channel that has existed since late October. That line will be met at around the $12.30 to $12.50 region at which point silver could conceivably collapse down to the lower channel line near $10 or lower. It all depends on the dollar, though we have had the unusual situation of the dollar, gold and silver all rising together recently. That is not a sustainable situation and is a tension between precious metal investors anticipating a break down in the dollar rally but also dollar bulls expecting another flight to cash as the stock market recommences its drop to new lows.

Perhaps the two camps will cancel each other out and we will see the dollar being range bound for a while. That will only be answered when the stock market begins a drop to possibly the 500-600 level. The conclusion is this, volatility rules and hence silver is a trader's paradise (experienced traders that is!) and while recession remains it will stay that way. Longer term investors in silver should still be buying into silver at these very low prices in anticipation of a new bull taking hold when recession ends and the trillion dollar bailouts begins to bite in terms of inflation further down the line.

I'd be totally buggered without my iphone, use it constantly - only downside is not being able to replace the battery after 6 hrs or so, and, despite a SIM card slot, you are forced to sign up with Orange in the UK and a similar one ATT? (I forget) in the USA. The early iphones are much tougher BTW, metal cases, now plastic so it's going downhill already...

Orange? I guess you meant to say O2. There is now a jailbreak out, for the new 3G one, so you can use with any provider and also pay as you go.

Sorry, yes, I meant O2 - I got shafted, on impulse last year I bought one, paid OTT about 260 quid for an 8gb one, 18 mths contract, 35 a month I think. 8gb is not enough, mine is full of podcasts and photos. EXACTLY 31 days later they dropped the price to 100 or something! My CC company said I could not be refunded the difference as I was 1 or 2 days over the limit, the bar stewards! I did not know the new 3g one was PAYG - I like to go that way normally, thanks Pixie I will look at the deals, cheers.

The 3G one was not pay as you go when released. They have now added pay a you go for all iphones. So as your contract runs out you can move to that.

They also have a £30 contract now, only 75 mins though.

Cheers for the info, barring something better coming along I'm well pleased with the iphone so will stick with it. I have a hacker I know in the USA who will convert my existing iphone to payg sims, so will probably do that when the contract finsihes.

You won't need to hack it, just take it to an O2 shop when your contract expires.

Have you got iGold the app yet?

I bought iGold on your recommendation, it's nice and simple and tells you all you need to know. My only complaint is the graphs are USD only and the front page is USD as well, bit of a shame...

I can vouch for jailbreaking/unlocking the 3G iPhone from 02, yellowsn0w is all you need! BTW I love my iPhone, best gadget I've ever bought, even better than my VR goggles! :)

You won't need to hack it, just take it to an O2 shop when your contract expires.

Have you got iGold the app yet?

Never again nicejim, I've had many palms over the years, and generally they have been very disappointing. I've lost all my data several times with them, cannot be trusted. V buggy, interface with the PC. Since I went to Apple, the dark side, I've been very happy.

Once people try the dark side they rarely return. Welcome aboard :D

Silver in Backwardation! Has the Last Contango Been Danced in Washington?

Silver for all traded futures contracts (whether 1 month or 12 months) have been in backwardation for seven trading days since January 21.

This backwardation is about three times more severe than the mild backwardation than existed from December 8 through December 24 in 2008.

We can see that since 2006-2007 where rates were about 4-5%, this state of backwardation is fairly unusual. (The LBMA only lists data back to 2006, but I believe it is a fair comment to say that on an even longer timeline, this is unusual.)

Furthermore, starting in roughly June 2008, the 12-month SIFO rate flipped over from being the lowest rate to, in general, the highest.

Also, the disparity between the rates seen in 2006-2007 has largely disappeared; the market appears to be treating a trade on silver 12 months later as quite similar to a trade on silver 1 month later.

sifotg1.jpg

Silver in Backwardation! Has the Last Contango Been Danced in Washington?

Silver for all traded futures contracts (whether 1 month or 12 months) have been in backwardation for seven trading days since January 21.

This backwardation is about three times more severe than the mild backwardation than existed from December 8 through December 24 in 2008.

We can see that since 2006-2007 where rates were about 4-5%, this state of backwardation is fairly unusual. (The LBMA only lists data back to 2006, but I believe it is a fair comment to say that on an even longer timeline, this is unusual.)

Furthermore, starting in roughly June 2008, the 12-month SIFO rate flipped over from being the lowest rate to, in general, the highest.

Also, the disparity between the rates seen in 2006-2007 has largely disappeared; the market appears to be treating a trade on silver 12 months later as quite similar to a trade on silver 1 month later.

sifotg1.jpg

Shall we get the rockets out?

NIck