SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I live overseas but will be back in the UK soon. Could I buy silver coins at a dealer, keep the receipt and then claim the VAT back at the airport? I only want to do it if it is legitimate.

I know that I don't have to pay VAT when I import them to where I live.

I beleive you can re-claim your VAT payments if you are a citizen of another country

Hi,

I live overseas but will be back in the UK soon. Could I buy silver coins at a dealer, keep the receipt and then claim the VAT back at the airport? I only want to do it if it is legitimate.

I know that I don't have to pay VAT when I import them to where I live.

Officially No - silver in coin or bar form is classed as bullion so you can only claim VAT back on purchases up to 125g in weight, see Link or 2.75 toz which equals 85g or 10 Tolas which equals 116.6g :blink:

Unoffically, yes but you have to get the shop to issue you a VAT 407 or VAT Retail Export Scheme sales invoice and then when you go to the reclaim counter just go through the process because the people that staff them just stamp the form and give you the money. If you are unlucky and they say no you just don't get the VAT back. If you have a UK passport you may find it difficult to get VAT refund unless you can show them the return part of your ticket back to your 'home' country.

Can someone explain to me why silver has vat on it but gold does not?

At the moment I want to buy more silver but the vat thing really annoys me. Maybe that was the purpose of it?

HMRC treat silver as a commodity and bullion whereas gold is just treated as bullion

I just noticed that Fresnillo PLC will be entered into the FTSE 100.

More here: http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009/03/09...ats-in-and-out/

This has got to be good news for Physical Silver, no?

I am 100% out of shares but I may have a punt with this share. Any advice?

I own Hochschild Mining the other FTSE 250 listed silver miner - done very well for me so far.

Silver appears to be showing the way in the precious metals market to me. Silver is a leveraged version of gold to the upside as well as the down side. Check these 8 hour graphs below, gold came back to the trend channel, but silver hasn't. Which shows to me that the outlook is positive.

8HrSilver.jpg

8hrGold.jpg

http://www.commodityonline.com/news/Fallin...-15994-1-1.html

The parallel red lines on this chart mark a multi-decade trading range in which the ratio traded from around 40 up to the low 80s. Having just been tested repeatedly, the upper end of that trading range appears solid. It is unlikely that the ratio will break above resistance in the 80-84 area.

Therefore, the logical conclusion is that the ratio will in time work its way lower and eventually fall back all the way to 40 as its first target. Given that it is now at 69.1, the potential gain in the ratio exceeds an eye-opening 42%, and that is to just the ratio’s first target. In time I expect the ratio to fall back toward to lows reached in 1980, when the last, great bull market move in the precious metals concluded.

Silver appears to be showing the way in the precious metals market to me. Silver is a leveraged version of gold to the upside as well as the down side. Check these 8 hour graphs below, gold came back to the trend channel, but silver hasn't. Which shows to me that the outlook is positive.

8HrSilver.jpg

8hrGold.jpg

Be careful with that assumption, silver will only drop when gold's recent rally has been confirmed as finished. When there's no more hope for a further rally in gold, silver will drop hard. It does it time and time again, it's very deceptive and cannot be used as a reliable indicator. That's what makes it so difficult to trade.

I'm currently 50/50 on what happens next for PMs (and have been for a few months). Now the gold double top is potentially in place we're in a very dangerous position. I don't buy Bubb's theory on a general equities rally either, so at the moment I'm happy to play it safe and sit things out. This market has been consistently killing even the best of the pros, nothing I have seen in the last few weeks makes me believe it will cease to do so in the future.

Be careful with that assumption, silver will only drop when gold's recent rally has been confirmed as finished. When there's no more hope for a further rally in gold, silver will drop hard. It does it time and time again, it's very deceptive and cannot be used as a reliable indicator. That's what makes it so difficult to trade.

I'm currently 50/50 on what happens next for PMs (and have been since for a few months). Now the gold double top is potentially in place we're in a very dangerous position. I don't buy Bubb's theory on a general equities rally either, so at the moment I'm happy to play it safe and sit things out. This market has been consistently killing even the best of the pros, nothing I have seen in the last few weeks makes me believe it will cease to do so in the future.

I don't buy this double top in gold, think we are on the way to $1200 over the next couple of months.

BTW I have been long both gold and silver for over a year. I am not being tempted to sell or trade, just find it interesting trying to guess the direction. I plan on selling in around 2/3 years and exchanging the holding for a house to live in.

I'm currently 50/50 on what happens next for PMs (and have been since for a few months). Now the gold double top is potentially in place we're in a very dangerous position. I don't buy Bubb's theory on a general equities rally either, so at the moment I'm happy to play it safe and sit things out. This market has been consistently killing even the best of the pros, nothing I have seen in the last few weeks makes me believe it will cease to do so in the future.

I notice the banks net short positions are increasing again

proof-silver-price-manipulation.gif

I notice the banks net short positions are increasing again

proof-silver-price-manipulation.gif

Silver has been in backwardation for 38 days. Which means it is cheaper in the future than the current spot market. This would explain to me why the banks are short. The banks have hardly been blessed with cleaver statigic thinking recently :lol:

Crunch Time? By: Theodore Butler - http://news.silverseek.com/TedButler/1237228354.php

If the short-term signs I see, both micro and macro, are true representations of what is occurring with supply and demand, then it may be crunch time in silver. If that’s the case, buckle up and get ready for the ride of your life.

GoldMoney Alert - 15 March 2009 - Extraordinary Stress in the Silver Market - http://goldmoney.com/en/commentary/2009-03-15.html

Rumors abound in London in particular about the shorts being late in meeting deliveries. So the present backwardation is not surprising. It is in effect a confirmation of these rumors, but it also shows that promises to deliver are being increasingly doubted. In other words, people who hold physical silver are not willing to exchange their metal for some paper promise, nor should you. Hold real physical silver; do not accept any paper substitutes like certificates, pool accounts and ETFs.

EDIT: Found this too: Got Gold Report notes 'shocking' short concentration in silver - http://www.gata.org/node/7267 (the bottom of linked article particularly interesting)

EDIT: Found this too: Got Gold Report notes 'shocking' short concentration in silver - http://www.gata.org/node/7267 (the bottom of linked article particularly interesting)

We are approaching a shortage of physical siver for sale. Some people seem to belive that selling 'paper silver' can make up this shortfall. Maybe they can think up a way to substitute paper for silver in missile guidence systems or high end electronics. Good luck with that.

At some point silver prices are going to sky-rocket. Not because I want them to, or because someone famous said so. But because, according to the laws of supply and demand, no other outcome is possible.

I'm beginning to see this shortage:

CID have no silver Kilobars for the first time in quite a while.

Also Silver Maples are £15.92 (eagles £14.70) - so they must be running short....

Philharmonics are £17. CID are out of Krugerrands too.

wtf!

has anyone got the slightest idea what's going on here - this must be a mistake, they are still the cheapest silver coin on kitco

https://online.kitco.com/bullion/products_uk_2.html

"Please note that the 2010 Olympic Gold and Silver Maple 1 oz. coins are only available to Canadian & US residents due to IOC regulations governing sales and distribution."

That's for the ones that say they are only for shipping outside the US (Silver Maple 1 oz ( Olympic Edition) (Only shipping outside US) )

Plus, they want £96 for postage, insurance is extra...

"Please note that the 2010 Olympic Gold and Silver Maple 1 oz. coins are only available to Canadian & US residents due to IOC regulations governing sales and distribution."

That's for the ones that say they are only for shipping outside the US (Silver Maple 1 oz ( Olympic Edition) (Only shipping outside US) )

Plus, they want £96 for postage, insurance is extra...

somethings not right, look at the spreads on cid between phillies and maples;

Austria

Name: Silver Content: Buy Price: Netto Price: Brutto Price:

Silver Philharmonic 1oz. 2009 31.10 Gramm £10.14 £14.79 £17.01

Canada

Name: Silver Content: Buy Price: Netto Price: Brutto Price:

Maple Leaf 1 oz 2009 31.10 Gramm £11.12 £13.85 £15.93

Silver headed for it's biggest daily gain in almost 30 years. Best since 1979.

Price Change % time

SILVER FUTURE (USD/t oz.) 13.550 1.615 13.53 15:24

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...fer=commodities

Silver futures for May delivery rose $1.585, or 13 percent, to $13.52 an ounce on the Comex, the highest jump for a most- active contract since Dec. 31, 1979. The metal has risen 20 percent this year.

Just thought I'd bump the thread on such a momentous day.

Silver headed for it's biggest daily gain in almost 30 years. Best since 1979.

Price Change % time

SILVER FUTURE (USD/t oz.) 13.550 1.615 13.53 15:24

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...fer=commodities

Silver futures for May delivery rose $1.585, or 13 percent, to $13.52 an ounce on the Comex, the highest jump for a most- active contract since Dec. 31, 1979. The metal has risen 20 percent this year.

Just thought I'd bump the thread on such a momentous day.

Sold my position in SLW on todays jump.

Rode this stock from $11 to $2.58 then back up to $8.12

Wow this is volatile! However, due to the collapse in £ sterling i have actually broken even. Thanks GB! LOL

Im guessing that this gap up may get filled over the next week or so.

If it is I might be tempted to buy back in. Anyone else holding/trading SLW?

Yes, I hold SLW. I rode them up, rode them down and (in the best trade I ever made, trebled my holding at the bottom) rode them up again.

I lightened up 30% a while ago and am contemplating doing the same again now. Any reason for today's silver action? Short squeeze? But why does that immeidately affect SLW? Wouldn't SLW react less strongly if it was considered to be just a temporary short squeeze?