SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Are the prices typical at the time or did you get bargains? Looks like the 24 x ounce bars were a bargain at £100! Are you still buying or sold yet?

I think most of my purchases were at or below spot and all were buy-it-now items if I remember correctly. If someone chose to list silver below spot I'd gratefully swoop in and snap it up!

I haven't bought much in the way of silver recently - I picked up a few silver thalers (re-strikes of the 1780 maria thaler) a while back, as these are often available nearer to spot. I don't see much point in paying £15 plus postage for a 1oz silver coin or bar when you can get a 0.75oz thaler for £7-8. I've also bought scrap pre-47 uk coins, sterling silver reproductions of stamps, commerorative medals etc. Anything as long as it is near or below spot, really

Buying physical gold at the moment with silver held at goldmoney. Once you have a few kilos of silver storage becomes more of a problem. Definitely not selling at the moment though.

I think most of my purchases were at or below spot and all were buy-it-now items if I remember correctly. If someone chose to list silver below spot I'd gratefully swoop in and snap it up!

I haven't bought much in the way of silver recently - I picked up a few silver thalers (re-strikes of the 1780 maria thaler) a while back, as these are often available nearer to spot. I don't see much point in paying £15 plus postage for a 1oz silver coin or bar when you can get a 0.75oz thaler for £7-8. I've also bought scrap pre-47 uk coins, sterling silver reproductions of stamps, commerorative medals etc. Anything as long as it is near or below spot, really

Buying physical gold at the moment with silver held at goldmoney. Once you have a few kilos of silver storage becomes more of a problem. Definitely not selling at the moment though.

is there a good place to buy thalers, or do you just get them at random places?

I presume the central coin is about 30KG around all of those smaller 1KG beasties. :o

It's a bunny, not an elephant!

I know the 1kg coins come in cases but do trhe 1 ounce coins come in capsules too?

At the moment they do. This stuff is beautiful. Even my wife thinks so. At these ridiculous prices I simply have to get more of them.

The Easter Bunny must be Australian. This is what it had in store for GoldSilverfinger. :)

Which 1 kg coin is that? I got a 2009 Koala as I was not so keen on the design of the 2009 Kukaburra. I would rather have got the 2008 Kukaburra with the spider's web, which is a nice design.

Koala. :) I somehow thought it would be as smooth as the smaller ones. But it has this greyish finish, with a polished Queen. :lol:

The 1-ounce on the koala side has a sort of stippled background which the 1-kilo doesn't have. The light-dark contrast you get as you tilt the coin is much stronger on the small coin.

These Australian coins and the Chinese Pandas are excellent designs. Sometimes I think they're better to look at than gold coins.

Just don't frop the 1-kilo on your foot! A real monster of a coin. :D

woohoo!

just bought my first silver via goldmoney!!!

On a nice correction too. Its down to £8.00.

I wonder how much further this correction will go. I'm buying in euros and hoping for a further drop. Sometimes I buy a small installment but I'm holding back still with a lot of the cash.

Like this so thought i'd share it.

Ten reasons to buy silver, but the closing bit appeals most "Silver is dirt cheap relative to gold. While there is less above ground silver than gold, silver’s price has rarely been this low compared to gold.

The manipulation that explains why silver is so cheap cannot exist in a bona fide physical shortage. If the price stays low, growing numbers of investors buy real silver. That makes it harder for the manipulators to keep the price contained with paper derivatives. Some fret the scam can be continued indefinitely. If it were just a question of printing more money or more paper derivatives, perhaps that might be true. But it’s not about an unlimited supply of paper silver, it’s about a limited supply that guarantees the manipulation will end soon. The termination of controls on the price of silver will be something we look back upon and marvel over how long it existed. Just make sure you are looking back while holding as much real silver as you can".

http://www.financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/2009/0416c.html

a smile for the silver longs?

http://www.kitco.com/ind/Radomski/apr202009.html

anyway i couldnt wait any longer so bought some more at the weekend and today (have a bad feeling about the budget and sterling)

i will have to save some more currency for a potential low in June (if sinclair is right)

Hi all this is my first post - long time lurker.

I decided last weekend to have a look at ebay to see what was selling I personally think it may be a great place to see any hyperinflation in action its very liquid.

Went through many sectors and almost nothing was selling until I got to the antique silver section - hallmarked georgian vistorian stuff to my amazement nearly everything and I mean nearly everything was selling many bids on each items this is true for both UK AND US.

Does anyone here have any experince in antique silver for example where is the demand coming from? I think it may be a way to buy silver without paying VAT.

Is there or will there be a demand in the future for UK hallmarked antique silver (the standard of craftmanship for these items is very high and a modern version would cost a fortune) in India and China in the future?

Anyone have any thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all this is my first post - long time lurker.

I decided last weekend to have a look at ebay to see what was selling I personally think it may be a great place to see any hyperinflation in action its very liquid.

Went through many sectors and almost nothing was selling until I got to the antique silver section - hallmarked georgian vistorian stuff to my amazement nearly everything and I mean nearly everything was selling many bids on each items this is true for both UK AND US.

Does anyone here have any experince in antique silver for example where is the demand coming from? I think it may be a way to buy silver without paying VAT.

Is there or will there be a demand in the future for UK hallmarked antique silver (the standard of craftmanship for these items is very high and a modern version would cost a fortune) in India and China in the future?

check out pre 1920/47 UK silver coins on ebay as a way of avoiding vat

0.925 hallmarked silver can be scraped for around 80% of spot price at Hatton Garden Metals

http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/