SILVER

For info re delivery of silver: it sems one can still pick it up, just not have it delivered by VIA MAT :)

all's well.

A GoldMoney Administrator wrote on 2009-Jun-01 08:44

GMT:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your message.

Via Mat International, our vault operator will only deliver

30,000 ounces of silver (30 silver bars). However, you can

visit our Agent in London and arrange to pick up your one

silver bar if you wish. Therefore, I confirm you can

receive physical possession of your silver bar which I

trust meets with your satisfaction.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any

further queries on the above.

Best regards

GoldMoney Support Team

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For info re delivery of silver: it sems one can still pick it up, just not have it delivered by VIA MAT :)

all's well.

A GoldMoney Administrator wrote on 2009-Jun-01 08:44

GMT:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your message.

Via Mat International, our vault operator will only deliver

30,000 ounces of silver (30 silver bars). However, you can

visit our Agent in London and arrange to pick up your one

silver bar if you wish. Therefore, I confirm you can

receive physical possession of your silver bar which I

trust meets with your satisfaction.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any

further queries on the above.

Best regards

GoldMoney Support Team

Yep. Zurich = 30 bars min pickup/delivery. London = same if direct with VIAMAT but GM has local agent who can pick up less for you - for a fee. That's how I read it anyway.

Showdown Time? By: Theodore Butler - http://news.silverseek.com/TedButler/1243963795.php

The level of the extreme concentrated short position suggests it must be resolved at some point. The timing and price pattern are always uncertain, but resolution is coming. The rally could extend further if more speculators buy on the way up and the commercials sell more to them. But eventually someone must blink and move to close out positions. If the dealers are able to rip the rug out from the speculators and force them to sell at lower prices, that will be the usual resolution. If the dealers get into trouble with their shorts and start to buy back to cover, which will occur someday, we will explode in price. Will it be now? I don’t know.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancia...dRealEstateNews

ETF Securities silver, palladium holdings hit record

LONDON, June 4 (Reuters) - ETF Securities said on Thursday the amount of metal it holds to back its silver exchange-traded commodity rose to a record 20.064 million ounces on June 3, while its palladium holdings also hit an all-time high.

ETFS Physical Silver (PHAG.L) has added 2.3 million ounces or 12.7 percent to its holdings in the last month, according to data released by the company.

Holdings of its ETFS Physical Palladium product meanwhile rose 13,677 ounces on Wednesday, lifting them 4.7 percent to a record 304,635 ounces.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2009/...668381-sun.html

Auctioned silver belonged to the royal family

By ELIZABETH THOMPSON, NATIONAL BUREAU

Former maître d' Richard Legrand worked at Rideau Hall for 35 years. He knows all about the history of the silver that has been sold by the federal government.

OTTAWA -- Three sterling silver flower baskets sold off by the government at bargain-basement prices on a government website were on loan to Rideau Hall from Buckingham Palace, Sun Media has learned.

Richard Legrand, who worked at the governor general's residence for 35 years, says he was told when he started at Rideau Hall in 1968 that the ornate pierced silver flower baskets were among several items borrowed from the British royal family.

"Those three baskets were on loan from Buckingham Palace, including two huge candelabra that we used on the diningroom table for state events."

Whenever Queen Elizabeth II visited Canada and stayed at Rideau Hall, the silver baskets filled with flowers were placed in the suite where she slept, said Legrand who retired in 2003.

"This was a special treat because we knew they were English, we knew they were from Buckingham Palace."

FAVOURITE PIECES

Paulette Lachapelle-Belisle, co-author with Gerda Hnatyshyn of a book about Rideau Hall published in 1994, said according to her research at the time, the baskets were on loan from Buckingham Palace.

Lachapelle-Belisle said the silver flower baskets were among her favourite pieces and she was shocked to learn they had been sold.

"I was heartbroken. I cried all morning," she said.

Kathryn Keyes, spokeswoman for the National Capital Commission, said the baskets appear to have been on loan since the 1960s. Rideau Hall staff believe the baskets came from Buckingham Palace, but she said they are not part of the NCC's collection and the NCC does not have any records confirming that.

The Royal Collection, which administers the royal family's silver and other possessions, is searching its files for a record of the baskets, but has not yet found any. Buckingham Palace did not respond to questions from Sun Media.

The baskets, made in London, England, in 1892 by the Charles Johnston Hill silversmiths, were wedding presents to Queen Elizabeth's grandparents.

According to the inscription, they were presented by members of the Spencer-Churchill family to the Duke of York, the future King George V.

While the three baskets sold for $532, experts say their link to the royal family could make them worth $10,000 each.

The baskets were among several pieces of silver and china from Rideau Hall sold two weeks ago for a fraction of their value on the Crown Assets Distribution website usually used to offload surplus filing cabinets and old computers.

SALE HALTED

The planned sale of other objects from Rideau Hall was halted after Sun Media reported on the sale.

Since then, the government appears to have moved to retrieve some of the items that had been initially sold in the online auction.

Three lots are now listed on the website as "not sold."

However, the most valuable items -- such as the flower baskets, a Birks sterling silver tea set and 10 Limoges teacups from the Allied Tea Service -- are still listed as sold.

Legrand was shocked to discover that silver and china he had used to serve members of the royal family and heads of state had been sold off, including a cocktail set he used to make gin martinis for Queen Elizabeth II.

"She only had one or two. But she really, really enjoyed it at night when there was nothing going on."

ELIZABETH.THOMPSON@SUNMEDIA.CA

---

WHERE IT WENT

While the government won't reveal the names of the buyers, they have revealed where they live and what they bought.

Buyer No. 1: Summerside, P.E.I.

- four silver wine warmers

- 10 1918-19 fine china tea cups Hagen

Buyer No. 2: l'Epiphanie, Que.

- two 1909 silver-plated coffee tanks

Buyer No. 3: Luskville, Que.

- three silver flower baskets

Buyer No. 4: Smiths Falls, Ont.

- one Birks sterling tea and coffee set

- one large silver-plated tea set from Poole

Buyer No. 5: Gatineau, Que.

- one silver-plated tongs

- one silver-plated water pot

- one silver-plated bottle holder

- 10 silver-plated coasters

- one silver-plated bucket

Buyer No. 6: Montreal, Que.

- one gold colour trim, round mirrored plateau

Dear silver buyers,

I just got delivery of some silver eagles and a 1Kg bar. I am a little worried about the bar. It has a matt look to it (which I think is due to the melt temperature being low) but also has these kind of 'folds' in the structure. Should this be sent back? :unsure:

The layering/folding only seems to be bad at one end and a little down one side, so I'd appreciate it if anyone can advise; even if you know someone who might be able to advise?

bar1.jpg

bar2.jpg

bar3.jpg

Chris,

It isn't a problem IMO, I have several bars like this from several different refineries, however all of my Umicore bars are pristine, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that. My Umicore bars also have the same finish on the top as yours, as do my Metalor bars. Heraeus are the worst for this `creasing` in my experience, but I didn't return those although it did cross my mind. At the end of the day, a 1kg of silver is a kg of silver.

Dear silver buyers,

I just got delivery of some silver eagles and a 1Kg bar. I am a little worried about the bar. It has a matt look to it (which I think is due to the melt temperature being low) but also has these kind of 'folds' in the structure. Should this be sent back? :unsure:

The layering/folding only seems to be bad at one end and a little down one side, so I'd appreciate it if anyone can advise; even if you know someone who might be able to advise?

Chris,

It isn't a problem IMO, I have several bars like this from several different refineries, however all of my Umicore bars are pristine, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that. My Umicore bars also have the same finish on the top as yours, as do my Metalor bars. Heraeus are the worst for this `creasing` in my experience, but I didn't return those although it did cross my mind. At the end of the day, a 1kg of silver is a kg of silver.

Cheers, warpig / GF; umicore are quite good in my experience too so I was a bit worried. Anyway, for storage, bars beat coin hands down. Plus I kind of like stacking 'em up!

post-1702-1244238863.gif

Dear silver buyers,

From the photo it looks like it is a bar from the end of a melt run where the melt has become too cool to pour without layering, its fine and purchasing dealers will happily accept it although private purchasers may not as it does not look perfect. The bullion coin market is having the same problem with private purchasers refusing to accept bullion coins that have been scratched or bent because they do not look like the photo or look used :blink:

I am always happy to purchase damaged, scratched, bent or used looking coin or bar, at a discount of course as they are obviously second hand :D