SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So would you advise to buy bars over these coins??

I am getting mightily tempted to buy a healthy stack of these from coininvestdirect.

A couple of questions for those who have taken delivery of physical silver coins/bars:

1) I see coininvestdirect add VAT. Does this mean there are no additional import duty charges for those in UK?

2) What is your exit strategy? With goldmoney its a simple click of the mouse but if you have taken delivery how do you intend to sell? Ebay fees are outrageous. And spreads to sell back look equally large IMO.

Thanks

1) I see coininvestdirect add VAT. Does this mean there are no additional import duty charges for those in UK?

That’s right

2) What is your exit strategy? With goldmoney its a simple click of the mouse but if you have taken delivery how do you intend to sell? Ebay fees are outrageous. And spreads to sell back look equally large IMO.

I only have a small collection. I use mostly Goldmoney

With my coins:

I’m going to wait till the price is £[insert high number] an ounce and then offload them on ebay

OR

I will use them to buy food when the state collapses

OR

I will leave them to my children when I die.

That’s right

I only have a small collection. I use mostly Goldmoney

With my coins:

I’m going to wait till the price is £[insert high number] an ounce and then offload them on ebay

OR

I will use them to buy food when the state collapses

OR

I will leave them to my children when I die.

Thanks for the reply.

The thing I like about taking delivery of coins is that when the spot price collapses as it did last year the premium just rockets to cover the difference so the downside risk seems much lower.

Folks seem prepared to part with that high premium too from what i saw last year.

I’m going to buy some 2009 Britannia’s when they are available on the website. I have been bleating at CID to get them for a 6 months and I feel obliged to buy them now.

Phillies are looking attractive at 11.47 and I will probably pick up a few 2009 coins that are missing from my collection.

VAT will be increased in January. This makes 2008 a better buying year than 2009.

I am not sure if the price will tick down a bit over the summer. Last year I got phillies for under £10. I would be surprised if that happened again.

EDIT: Having said that, there was a shortage of coins last year. This year there seems to be less supply issues. This could mean £10 or less will happen again :unsure:

EDIT: Having said that, there was a shortage of coins last year. This year there seems to be less supply issues. This could mean £10 or less will happen again :unsure:

who knows

but the window for buying 1oz coins for under a tenner was short - i shipped in some from kitco at the time

personally, i think that the comex price wont dip anything similar to last fall, whilst bullion coin demand will continue to pressure mints at the latter stages of the year (like last year).

right, who wants this weeks lottery numbers?

I just got a pile of Eagles for £11 each as a private deal from an ebay seller. Otherwise I would be stocking up on some Philli's.

Im staying out of houses hoping for further falls this winter, and renting a fab place in the country in a few weeks. Im optimistic that gold and silver will make some moves upwards after the summer.

I have some more silver to buy, does anyone think we'll see <£8/t oz?

your guess is as good as anybody elses. I am hoping to see it at $13.50 or 13 before buying. But may just buy anyway as have just about purchased enough bullion for now. After the summer I will trade between gold and silver when the ratio is favorable. I have a sneaky feeling the ratio might whiplash up and down more often. Future income will go into US dollars.

I have some more silver to buy, does anyone think we'll see <£8/t oz?

I think it is possible.

Last year my lowest priced purchase in GoldMoney was £5.70 (including the fees).

An £8 low this year would be a 40% increase (in the low) in a year. Sounds too much.

FWIW, I am averaging in over the whole year.

Thanks for the fast replies both of you. Hmmm...

The temptation is to sit on the cash for a wee bit longer I think. I have been averaging in and I have a good core position, so I can afford to miss the boat a little should it happen.

Wow £5.70 that's a nice 2006 price! :o

In physical yes, I hit the bottom but not quite in my GM account, because they were really slow in processing my account :huh: . I took a considerable position @ £7, sub £6 would have been nice!

I like this chart.

Didn’t you also fill your boots at sub £6?

From G0ldfinger’s signature

Silver_GBP.png

Bit of a sell off here. Getting itchy trigger finger.

Must try to hold out bit longer. :rolleyes:

Bought a little here. Rationale being I will not be wanting to buy silver after the summer as will have built a decent enough position by then. After summer, I will instead get some decent dollars together. On the off-chance that the silver price does tank at a later date - possibly on some general liquidation in the markets - I guess I will then just have to "reluctantly" buy at super bargain prices. :rolleyes:

I consider silver my Queen with gold the King piece and various other currencies the other main pieces. I am convinced that the main action will be in the fx markets. Stocks and commodities - if I get involved - would only be speculative pawn moves as the game is all about trying to preserve capital while it is being destroyed.

is the gold/silver ratio breaking out today, it looked like it on GLD/SLV

68.3 at the moment so it's edged up a bit.

http://www.24hgold.com/english/gold_silver...aspx?money=Euro

I'm still averaging in on silver (a small purchase most trading days). At my current rate of spending the cash will last until mid September. I'm trying to maintain self-discipline so I can benefit from any further correction.