SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have I missed the replies to this ?!

If there are none, I am amazed.

This is a HUGE story.

The chinese public being encouraged to buy physical silver bullion is huge, just think how much demand there could be :)

When will the west get the same options without the VAT, rather than the ETFs we are being herded into.

Can anyone point me to a site that has the spot price of gold and silver in sterling? I can only find the kitco charts but they don't provide much history.

You could check out bullion vaults site. They now have live charts of both gold and silver and you can select a date range of between 20 years and 10 mins against all the lesser currencys.

http://www.bullionvault.com/gold-price-chart.do

The chinese public being encouraged to buy physical silver bullion is huge, just think how much demand there could be :)

When will the west get the same options without the VAT, rather than the ETFs we are being herded into.

The ratio of British average wage to Chinese average wage is roughly the gold/silver ratio. Savings rates are probably wildly different but you could imagine the average Chinese buying something in excess of the weight in silver that the average Briton buys in gold. I imagine this isn't very much per person, but there are an awful lot of people over there. Let's hope they embrace the idea.

Thanks for the responses on the sterling spot price.

I am going to buy some calls on the major silver producers before the end of the summer to try to catch the Autumn upleg.

Can anyone recommend some of the larger silver producers? Is there any etf's available that provide exposure to silver producers/miners?

Cheers.

Thanks for the responses on the sterling spot price.

I am going to buy some calls on the major silver producers before the end of the summer to try to catch the Autumn upleg.

Can anyone recommend some of the larger silver producers? Is there any etf's available that provide exposure to silver producers/miners?

Cheers.

List of Gold and Silver companies on google finance (half way down the page):

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?catid=uk-64980108

AUCO/AUCP is an etf for goldminers from ETFSecurities. I'm not aware of a silver equivalent.

It's still running:

China Is About to Buy a lot More Silver...

By Matt Badiali, editor, the S&A Resource Report

Thursday, August 20, 2009

http://www.dailywealth.com/archive/2009/aug/2009_aug_20.asp

From http://www.dailywealth.com/archive/2009/aug/2009_aug_20.asp

"there are some 400 million households in China, with an average ownership of about 0.1 ounces of gold. The average gold ownership in most emerging countries works out to about 1 ounce per household. The Chinese are beginning to make up that gap."

That's 360million ounces to be bought. Global jewellery demand is about 70million so even if it takes a decade for Chinese domestic gold investment to catch up, that's equivalent to a 50% increase in jewellery demand!

That's 360million ounces to be bought. Global jewellery demand is about 70million so even if it takes a decade for Chinese domestic gold investment to catch up, that's equivalent to a 50% increase in jewellery demand!

That's roughly 10,000 metric tonnes. :)

Some people think that the US still holds 8,000 tonnes. Maybe they should hand it over quickly so that the price won't rise. :lol: :lol:

That's roughly 10,000 metric tonnes. :)

Some people think that the US still holds 8,000 tonnes. Maybe they should hand it over quickly so that the price won't rise. :lol: :lol:

Gordon Brown would have sold it off by now, what is up with the US :lol:

Clive Maund, Silver Market update:

CM, Silver, 23rd August

There has been an ususual divergence between silver and gold over the past few weeks - gold's COT structure has improved while silver's has continued to deteriorate, against a background of a technical picture that looks considerably weaker than that for gold. . .

There has been an ususual divergence between silver and gold over the past few weeks - gold's COT structure has improved while silver's has continued to deteriorate, against a background of a technical picture that looks considerably weaker than that for gold. . .

imo gold has been effectively monetized. Silver continues to move with the vagaries of the risk/risk averse trades. This is what I love about silver. It is good for speculation, due to the massive volatility, whereas gold is now only good as an "investment".... or should a say a safe haven for capital.

Ted Butler being very bullish on silver, mentions that there has been a hedge of JP Morgan's massive silver short position which they inherited from Bear Sterns.

Interviewed by Eric King on kingworldnews.com

http://www.kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews...als_Market.html

Ted Butler being very bullish on silver, mentions that there has been a hedge of JP Morgan's massive silver short position which they inherited from Bear Sterns.

Interviewed by Eric King on kingworldnews.com

http://www.kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews...als_Market.html

When has he not been bullish on silver? :D

I have been lightening up a little on silver [still heavily in]. I notice that goldmoney always buys my silver above spot. I am not sure why this is so but I am not complaining. :rolleyes:

Spot was 1340 Yen an ounce

Goldmoney bought for 1364 an ounce.

Basically a 24 cent difference. I have noticed before I have got good prices a bit above spot.

I guess I should. I just find both perma-bears and perma-bulls a little tedious at times. :rolleyes:

is that me off the xmas card list then :P

what mr butler has been banging on about now for a while regarding the new drive to clean up ctfc positions could prove very complimentary for silver

add to that the fact (i did not know this) that the JP Morgan concentrated short position was inherited from aig; the bad guys might not be the great evil-doers after all

and with regard to cot data, the biggest threat to silver going forward is err gold!

is that me off the xmas card list then :P

what mr butler has been banging on about now for a while regarding the new drive to clean up ctfc positions could prove very complimentary for silver

add to that the fact (i did not know this) that the JP Morgan concentrated short position was inherited from aig; the bad guys might not be the great evil-doers after all

and with regard to cot data, the biggest threat to silver going forward is err gold!

Yeah, I found that a bit odd. It certainly doesn't fit in with my "monetization of gold" thesis. :D