SILVER

Did you forget a 0 here? I mean, we were at almost $900 29 years ago! There has been a LOT of inflation since then. Even if we went into a torrent of deflation, I see $5,000 minimum.

I do hope you are right.

I'm trying not to get carried away-imho this makes us as bad as those that bought into perpetual hpi.

You could well be right and possibly too conservative! ( Betcha ain't been called that very often!).

Question is, what to do at peak? I know you are thinking housing.. I'm not so sure.

I'm also thinking a little Paladium might be a good idea. Is it of any use in fission reactors?

Nick

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double bottom G/S ratio. If it breaks or holds could tell us a lot

Velly intellesting.

My goldprice.org page is a problem since they added the new banner ads -- have you a chart?

just had my first proper delivery of gold/silver.

can I ask is it worth ring testing the silver bars ? They have come with serial numbers & are the Heraeus ones but are shrink wrapped.

The coins have come in individual little plastic cases, quite good actually imo, but how on earth would you test each one it would take ages when you buy quite a few at a time. :o I suppose that's why you buy from a reputable source like CID ?

just waiting for my next delivery now. :rolleyes:

it has to be said, Mrs GOM didn't seem to get quite the buzz I got when unwrapping the delivery.

can I ask is it worth ring testing the silver bars ? They have come with serial numbers & are the Heraeus ones but are shrink wrapped.

The coins have come in individual little plastic cases, quite good actually imo, but how on earth would you test each one it would take ages when you buy quite a few at a time. :o I suppose that's why you buy from a reputable source like CID ?

it has to be said, Mrs GOM didn't seem to get quite the buzz I got when unwrapping the delivery.

I would just weigh the coins and see that they match the listed weight. You can buy an accurate digital scales of ebay for hardly anything. If the bars have serial and mint brand, I would suspect they are fine, especially if bought from a reputable dealer.

Hoye's been wrong all summer long (and then some)

He almost admits as much on this weeks howestreet audio

At just after 6mins in he says he got stopped out on his silver short position. That will be sweet music to the silver bugs :lol:

I swapped silver for gold on his forecast like a few others. No been a good move so far. But maybe by end october it will be a different story?

Personally I wouldn't bother testing them, CID are good for their metals. Perhaps weigh 1 or 2 coins and check the dimensions to put your mind at rest.

congratulations GOM!

is this you? :P:unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JYJylApNvU

wimmin eh? :lol:

actually i've just had a thought. am i right i thinking that that it is predominately blokes that post on this site?

what does that tell us?

i don't know if anyone ever bought silver from this bloke:-

http://www.silverexchange.co.uk/sales.php

but he is stopping sales of bullion & setting himself up as an agency.

the remainder of his stocks can be found below in a 'hidden' part of his website if anyone wants any silver. i've used him a few times with no problems.

http://www.silverexchange.co.uk/working/sales.php

pity really - he was(is!) a helpful chap. hope it works out for him.

I would just weigh the coins and see that they match the listed weight. You can buy an accurate digital scales of ebay for hardly anything. If the bars have serial and mint brand, I would suspect they are fine, especially if bought from a reputable dealer.

yes I think I need some good scales etc. I have bought the fisch wallets, I have wallet 4, just had an email today from Ken Rutherford to say wallet 2 will be despatched on 21st sept. (I don't know him personally, although I did ring him up in SA & had a great chat with him a while ago, really nice bloke)

Did you get Britannia's in capsules from CID?

yes, they came in individual plastic square container thingies......quite good i thought. I ordered the 2008 ones, but they sent all 2009 ones...

Personally I wouldn't bother testing them, CID are good for their metals. Perhaps weigh 1 or 2 coins and check the dimensions to put your mind at rest.

sounds like a good idea as it would be just too impractical to test each one.

congratulations GOM!

is this you? :P:unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JYJylApNvU

wimmin eh? :lol:

actually i've just had a thought. am i right i thinking that that it is predominately blokes that post on this site?

what does that tell us?

hee hee for the vid, I'm not that bad.......yet. :unsure:

I have to say though the silver looks so much nicer to me & the wife. My wife wears mostly silver jewellery though as she prefers the look.

ps - you the same gasket37 from hpc ?

yes, they came in individual plastic square container thingies......quite good i thought. I ordered the 2008 ones, but they sent all 2009 ones...

I thought my square plastic containers were good too.... that was until a coin fell out and wouldn't go back in.... and then another coin fell out and then another.

Be careful with them.

Mine were all connected together to form a 'page' of square plastic crap.

I thought my square plastic containers were good too.... that was until a coin fell out and wouldn't go back in.... and then another coin fell out and then another.

Be careful with them.

Mine were all connected together to form a 'page' of square plastic crap.

yes that's how mine came, in strips with cardboard separating the strips.

why wouldn't the coins go back in I wonder ? was this after you had them for a while then ?

I have only a few coins. When I got silver from CID:

Britannias in sealed plastic squares (as from the mint I assume)

Pandas in capsules.

Australian ones in capsules.

Eagles, Maples and Libertads in little plastic bags (these probably come as rolls of 20 from the mint, so I guess they split them into bags for small orders).

Aesthetically I think I prefer silver coins to gold ones.

why wouldn't the coins go back in I wonder ? was this after you had them for a while then ?

I ordered the day the Britannia's arrived at CID. Mine didn't come with any cardboard. Maybe CID has learnt from the experience of the early customers and is taking more care with the packaging.

Around 5% of my coins came of out the plastic while I was taking them out of the box and counting them. These were all at the edge of the ‘pages.

The coins go back in to the plastic but they don't seal properly. At least one layer of plastic fell off and couldn't be put back on. I think there was 3 or 4 layers total.

I was very very careful with them after that.

Hey guys, I need to come out of lurking and ask if anyone else has experienced this...

I've bought a cheap set of jewelery scales (accurate to 0.1g) and decided to test how good they were by using what I thought were "known weights". A 1oz .999 coin should read 31.1g.

I started by weighing one of my philharmonics - it came out as 31.6g. I bought this coin from CID (sealed in mint tubes) so I assumed it must be the scales that were dodgy. I tested a few more phils and they all came out at 31.6... two were 63.2g, ten were 315.9g and so on.

But then I weighed a maple - it came out at 31.5g

Then an Eagle - 31.3g; Libertad - 31.3g.

I decided to weigh a coin that I knew had definitely not been handled. I (very carefully) cracked open an encapsulated Kookaburra... 31.9g!

Maybe it's to do with the surface area on the scales, I thought. So I placed two phils on top of each other on the scale (reading 63.2g), removed the top one and replaced it with an Eagle - it came out as 62.9g. Surface area on the scales remained the same, but the weight apparently changed.

To remove any seeds of doubt about the legitimacy of CID coins, I hunted down an older Eagle I purchased from a trusted numismatic dealer my family has bought from for decades. This came out exactly the same as the CID-bought coin.

Gold sovereigns I have tested have come out exactly as what they should be (8.0g).

I'm sure the scales must be dodgy somehow. But given the consistent variance in the weights, logically the only conclusion I can draw from this is that these 1oz silver coins genuinely weigh different amounts.

pics:

2009 Maple (CID)

2009 Kookaburra (CID)

2009 Eagle (CID)

2001 Eagle (local dealer)

1912 sov (local dealer)

2 x Philharmonics

Philharmonic + Eagle

Has anyone here accurately weighed their coins?

Hey guys, I need to come out of lurking and ask if anyone else has experienced this...

I've bought a cheap set of jewelery scales (accurate to 0.1g) and decided to test how good they were by using what I thought were "known weights". A 1oz .999 coin should read 31.1g.

I started by weighing one of my philharmonics - it came out as 31.6g. I bought this coin from CID (sealed in mint tubes) so I assumed it must be the scales that were dodgy. I tested a few more phils and they all came out at 31.6... two were 63.2g, ten were 315.9g and so on.

But then I weighed a maple - it came out at 31.5g

Then an Eagle - 31.3g; Libertad - 31.3g.

I decided to weigh a coin that I knew had definitely not been handled. I (very carefully) cracked open an encapsulated Kookaburra... 31.9g!

Maybe it's to do with the surface area on the scales, I thought. So I placed two phils on top of each other on the scale (reading 63.2g), removed the top one and replaced it with an Eagle - it came out as 62.9g. Surface area on the scales remained the same, but the weight apparently changed.

To remove any seeds of doubt about the legitimacy of CID coins, I hunted down an older Eagle I purchased from a trusted numismatic dealer my family has bought from for decades. This came out exactly the same as the CID-bought coin.

Gold sovereigns I have tested have come out exactly as what they should be (8.0g).

I'm sure the scales must be dodgy somehow. But given the consistent variance in the weights, logically the only conclusion I can draw from this is that these 1oz silver coins genuinely weigh different amounts.

pics:

2009 Maple (CID)

2009 Kookaburra (CID)

2009 Eagle (CID)

2001 Eagle (local dealer)

1912 sov (local dealer)

2 x Philharmonics

Philharmonic + Eagle

Has anyone here accurately weighed their coins?

I have weighed mine on a 0.01g scale. FWIW, I have found the silver coins to be slightly over weight. I think I found the Kookaburras were the most 'generous' too. I measured then with calipers, they look real to me.

Do you have a test mass with the scales? Did you calibrate them? Reads 0 when nothing on it?

I have found the gold coins to be much closer to 31.1g, with the gold maples being closest to 31.1g.

Gold kilo bars can be as much as several grams overweight!

Cheers Chris, this is some reassurance that I'm not going completely mental. How much did you find yours were out by?

Do you have a test mass with the scales? Did you calibrate them? Reads 0 when nothing on it?

My test mass was the coins! Like I said, it's a cheap scale :)

Definitely using the thing properly though. Right down to letting it settle in the ambient temperature of the room for half an hour and letting it warm up for 30 seconds before use (as per instructions).

I hope the scale is accurate - it means I have a few ounces more than I thought I did.

I have found all the coins you mention to be over-weight too.

Test your scales with a one ounce silver Britannia, these are the most accurate coin in my experience. They should be between 32.4 and 32.6 if your scale is accurate

I ordered the day the Britannia's arrived at CID. Mine didn't come with any cardboard. Maybe CID has learnt from the experience of the early customers and is taking more care with the packaging.

Around 5% of my coins came of out the plastic while I was taking them out of the box and counting them. These were all at the edge of the ‘pages.

The coins go back in to the plastic but they don't seal properly. At least one layer of plastic fell off and couldn't be put back on. I think there was 3 or 4 layers total.

I was very very careful with them after that.

Uhh I am not sure I really understand. I also have a lot of gold brittanias from CID which came in "sealed" plastic squares, which all fell out. Others just came loose. I just threw them all in the box with my sovs. Are you saying the plastic square is important? Do some coins need more care than others? I'm sure it doesnt matter.

...can I ask is it worth ring testing the silver bars ? ...

No, coins ring because they have been made in a press. Although some bar is now pressed rather than cast the ring test does always produce the same result.

yes I think I need some good scales etc. I have bought the fisch wallets, ...

Fisch balances are based on older technology that used to be prevalent in banks to check coin before the microchip was invented but you need different balances for different coin weights and sizes. All you need today is a cheap set of digital scales and a ruler. The coin will never exceed the maximum diameter or weight for the coin, forget a coins height as it changes on the amount of pressure applied by the press.

sounds like a good idea as it would be just too impractical to test each one....

Just make sure that you know zero and adjust your scales, then measure and weigh one coin out of the packet to prove what it is and then weight it in the packet, weigh the remaining coins in the packets. You will soon spot if one of the packets is slightly over or under and that it will make little difference to the weight because it is so light.

....The coins go back in to the plastic but they don't seal properly. At least one layer of plastic fell off and couldn't be put back on. I think there was 3 or 4 layers total....

Do not store silver coins in plastic unless it is Mylar or similar. Most PVC's release Hydrochloric acid over time, faster in sunlight and it will turn your coins black over time. Silver Britannia's are not really bullion coins because they are produced in such low numbers.

... Do some coins need more care than others? I'm sure it doesnt matter.

I am sure that it does, that is why there are coin collectors and why they pay stupid prices for well kept coins.

Do not store silver coins in plastic unless it is Mylar or similar. Most PVC's release Hydrochloric acid over time, faster in sunlight and it will turn your coins black over time. Silver Britannia's are not really bullion coins because they are produced in such low numbers.

I am sure that it does, that is why there are coin collectors and why they pay stupid prices for well kept coins.

where would you store the silver coins to prevent them from turning black?