SILVER

Grumpy, why don't you buy the 1kg Aussie silver coins?? They are BEAUTIFUL, 20 pounds cheaper, and have a 5 pounds higher buy-back price!!

h'mmm didn't realise you could get coins that big.

they are more expensive though on CID than the bars, I am buying in euros remember.

I might have a look at those on my next purchase then. I should have really put a bit more thought into it tbh wrt asthetics I suppose. :rolleyes:

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are more expensive though on CID than the bars, I am buying in euros remember.

Ah, you're shipping to the UK - OK, understood. You should possibly just leave them in Euroland if you had the possibility.

I might have a look at those on my next purchase then. I should have really put a bit more thought into it tbh wrt asthetics I suppose. :rolleyes:

Just comparing CID 1 kilo bars with 1 kilo coins, the coins are cheaper (brutto prices):

Heraeus or other manufacturere / oder andere Hersteller 1 kg 1000.00 Gramm €484.33

Silver Koala 1kg 2009 1000.00 Gramm €461.22

Silver Kookaburra 1kg 2009 1000.00 Gramm €466.18

Silver OX/Ochse 1kg 2009 (Lunar) 1000.00 Gramm €461.62

So the 1 kilo Koala is the cheapest. Very nice coins, I have a 1 kilo koala.

Off topic:

CID has a special offer of 1 oz palladium maples. VAT is 19% for me though!

Brutto €297.50 versus a bid price of €200!

Just comparing CID 1 kilo bars with 1 kilo coins, the coins are cheaper (brutto prices):

Heraeus or other manufacturere / oder andere Hersteller 1 kg 1000.00 Gramm €484.33

Silver Koala 1kg 2009 1000.00 Gramm €461.22

Silver Kookaburra 1kg 2009 1000.00 Gramm €466.18

Silver OX/Ochse 1kg 2009 (Lunar) 1000.00 Gramm €461.62

So the 1 kilo Koala is the cheapest. Very nice coins, I have a 1 kilo koala.

Off topic:

CID has a special offer of 1 oz palladium maples. VAT is 19% for me though!

Brutto €297.50 versus a bid price of €200!

how have you worked that out Wren ?

the 1kg bars are €468.05

the cheapest 1kg coin is €495.71

so the bars are cheaper for me based on weight only, although it may be better to buy the coins ? bit too late for me now as I have just bought loads.

edited - how come you have totally different prices from me ?

edit 2 - ah ha, you are obviously in germany or rather not getting the silver shipped to the rip UK then.....that would explain it. Hence GF's recommendation of getting delivery in another european country.

so does only the UK pay vat on silver then ? <_<

how have you worked that out Wren ?

edit 2 - ah ha, you are obviously in germany or rather not getting the silver shipped to the rip UK then.....that would explain it. Hence GF's recommendation of getting delivery in another european country.

so does only the UK pay vat on silver then ? <_<

Yeah, sorry. Those are the German prices (7% VAT).

I forgot that you pay differently in the UK.

That looks like a perfectly normal heraeus bar to me, incidentally these are my least favourite 1KG bars. I've got a few bars that have been around for a hundred years or so and have got a lovely tarnished vault look, lots of history in those bars.

anyone got any 1kg bars from CID without serial numbers on ?

looking like these:

2r6chgm.jpg

34rzlso.jpg

??

my first batch came with serial number on much nicer finish also, second batch like this. They have offered to swap & apologised, but it means I have to send back to Germany.

That looks like a perfectly normal heraeus bar to me, incidentally these are my least favourite 1KG bars. I've got a few bars that have been around for a hundred years or so and have got a lovely tarnished vault look, lots of history in those bars.

yes, I don't like the look of these either compared to the first batch.

I do however like (or think I like based on pictures) the very old tarnished look also, it's just these bars seem to be in the middle, not properly tarnished, not shiny new looking.......no mans land so to speak.

It's all very interesting though. I should have been doing this years ago. I have always had a very strong interest in Jewellery for some reason.

yes, I don't like the look of these either compared to the first batch.

I do however like (or think I like based on pictures) the very old tarnished look also, it's just these bars seem to be in the middle, not properly tarnished, not shiny new looking.......no mans land so to speak.

It's all very interesting though. I should have been doing this years ago. I have always had a very strong interest in Jewellery for some reason.

GOM, these are older bars. Note the 999 which is reference to the purity of 99.9%, the unmarked bar will be even older at 99.5%. New bars from Heraeus are refined to 99.99%.

I will be happy to take these and any other off your hands off your hands at spot minus a handling fee of course :)

GOM, these are older bars. Note the 999 which is reference to the purity of 99.9%, the unmarked bar will be even older at 99.5%. New bars from Heraeus are refined to 99.99%.

I will be happy to take these and any other off your hands off your hands at spot minus a handling fee of course :)

no chance, then how would I while away the long winter evenings ? :unsure::rolleyes::D

I tell you what, I have never had the feeling I have looking at or holding silver/gold compared with holding £20 notes I can tell you. You feel like you actually have something don't you, that can't be altered overnight.

edited so it makes sense now.

...I tell you what, I have never had the feeling I have looking at or holding silver/gold with £20 notes I can tell you. You feel like you actually have something don't you, that can't be altered overnight.

Thats why I kept on going on at Magpie when he was around about real money, something that the average man on the street can understand, something that would still hold some value after the currency that it was used to represent had collapsed.

Thats why I kept on going on at Magpie when he was around about real money, something that the average man on the street can understand, something that would still hold some value after the currency that it was used to represent had collapsed.

But money is only a means of exchange.... just a sign, representing nothing real. :rolleyes:

Newbie question: Got gold and iterested in swappin btween silver. To make the gain in acording the gold/silver ratio how the swaps should be done in near future?

gold_10_year_silver.png

Answers on this will differ from person to person. Above is a chart showing the ratio over the past ten years.

Personally, I will be swapping most of my silver for gold when the ratio nears 50 [it is 60 now]. If the ratio went back to 80 I would consider swapping a small portion of gold to silver.

Others think the ratio could go lower. It depends largely on whether you see [hyper] inflation on the horizon or deleveraging.

Newbie question: Got gold and iterested in swappin btween silver. To make the gain in acording the gold/silver ratio how the swaps should be done in near future?

Welcome.

Dr Bubb's MSI (Manic Swings Indicator) thread could help you here if you want to trade short-term changes. Generally speaking, if inflation is the driving force then you should sell gold for silver and do the reverse when deflation is taking hold.

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....c=7508&st=0

For longer term trading, look for a ratio of 50, or maybe 35, to start moving into gold.

http://gold.approximity.com/gold-silver_watch.html

Edit: I see RH beat me today. Not sure about the verbiage this time ;)

Dr Bubb's MSI (Manic Swings Indicator) thread could help you here if you want to trade short-term changes. Generally speaking, if inflation is the driving force then you should sell gold for silver and do the reverse when deflation is taking hold.

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....c=7508&st=0

The short term trade is very difficult to make profitable, perhaps impossible, too many variables and imponderables.

I think it makes sense to wait for the high or low ratio where you think it makes sense to swap.

Welcome.

I have chosen my 'flation route & after much deliberation & a bit of a late change to my buying plan, I have gone in approx 70/30 silver/gold. I initially was just going to buy all gold as I didn't really have an understanding of silver. I then spent the last 4-6 weeks getting my silver knowledge up to speed. (GOM speed that is :unsure: )

I am annoyed at myself tbh as I should have been more aware of other metals, not just gold.

edited