SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newbie question: Got gold and iterested in swappin btween silver. To make the gain in acording the gold/silver ratio how the swaps should be done in near future?

I'm swapping 5% at 45:1, 7.5% at 40:1, 10% at 35:1, 12.5% at 30:1 etc.

The percentage must grow each time or I will be left with 50% of my silver at 1:1. Though, I will still have some silver to swap when the silver price is 15 times greater than the gold price (really)

I have chosen my 'flation route & after much deliberation & a bit of a late change to my buying plan, I have gone in approx 70/30 silver/gold. I initially was just going to buy all gold as I didn't really have an understanding of silver. I then spent the last 4-6 weeks getting my silver knowledge up to speed. (GOM speed that is :unsure: )

I am annoyed at myself tbh as I should have been more aware of other metals, not just gold.

edited

I must say if copper has a phd in Economics, then silver has a 1st class honours degree!

Gold at the moment is getting 9x A* in GCSE's but we all know that the exams are too easy....

This has been surprising to me, as I held a view that silver was somehow inferior. Maybe the Hunt brothers knew something all along? We should learn 1 key lesson from their obvious mistakes - never ever buy PMs with borrowed money!

I have chosen my 'flation route & after much deliberation & a bit of a late change to my buying plan, I have gone in approx 70/30 silver/gold. I initially was just going to buy all gold as I didn't really have an understanding of silver. I then spent the last 4-6 weeks getting my silver knowledge up to speed. (GOM speed that is :unsure: )

I am annoyed at myself tbh as I should have been more aware of other metals, not just gold.

edited

good

not to take the advice of an internet poster

platinum may be more of inflation play than silver

Interesting about Jason Hommel opening his own place. He looks bulkier and less of a nerd on video than he does in his pic.

to me that looked & felt a bit too gimicky, they didn't look/sound very professional.

That first security guy who came to the door didn't look like he had what it takes either imho.

edited - perhaps I am being too critical......??

Is that a euphemism? :unsure:

I know I spotted that one earlier.... :unsure:

It can be if you want it to, wordplay is one of the beauties of the English language. FYI on average gold does little between the end of Nov and the beginning of Jan but then it takes off again, hence the need for freshly polished rocket pictures :)

Hi all, I have recently cleared out the garden shed and quite fancy the idea of setting up a mini silver refining "shed project". :rolleyes:

http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=732873

I have loads of scrap silver and thought it may be interesting to have a go at making my own bars. The wife thinks I'm mad, but has anyone else tried refining silver.

Graphite molds in a variety of sizes are cheap enough to buy and although the process of refining appears quite complicated, I could have multiple stages of the process on the go at the same time.

Thought it could be a interesting hobby-type project, obviously, with due dilligence to health and safety aspects.

Am I mad? :lol:

Hi all, I have recently cleared out the garden shed and quite fancy the idea of setting up a mini silver refining "shed project". :rolleyes:

I have loads of scrap silver and thought it may be interesting to have a go at making my own bars. The wife thinks I'm mad, but has anyone else tried refining silver.

Graphite molds in a variety of sizes are cheap enough to buy and although the process of refining appears quite complicated, I could have multiple stages of the process on the go at the same time.

Thought it could be a interesting hobby-type project, obviously, with due dilligence to health and safety aspects.

if your source of silver is pre 47 coins, then imho you would be better keeping them as coins as over time a numismatic premium will come into effect, making the price higher than bullion alone

here's a wee anecdotal for one and all....

was at my local car boot on saturday and i bumped into a trader who deals in coins etc. I had bought 8 x vict. crowns of him a while back and asked 'hows things?', to which he replied he was fed up because he just couldn't source the coins like he used to.

today's pre 47 half crowns = tomorrows pre 1920 crowns and so on.....

here's a wee anecdotal for one and all....

was at my local car boot on saturday and i bumped into a trader who deals in coins etc. I had bought 8 x vict. crowns of him a while back and asked 'hows things?', to which he replied he was fed up because he just couldn't source the coins like he used to.

today's pre 47 half crowns = tomorrows pre 1920 crowns and so on.....

I love a bit of good anecdotal double-agent.

I have noticed a couple of 'we buy your silver/gold at sh1t prices' stalls on the market now in Ossett, the nearest town to me.

Also the couple of times I walked past there (listening/loitering with Mrs GOM) & the one in the indoor market that has been there ages, we have noticed middle aged women selling what looked like family silver. One conversation I overheard at the indoor one, was a chavvy looking tatooed women about 40, selling a beautiful looking cigarette case (solid silver by the sounds of it), she said she wanted anough money for a night out or about £20, I kid you not.

Whilst said market stall owner was ooring & eering (7 muttering that it wasn't stamped) I piped in with 'if he doesn't want it I will buy it', he & his wife gave me a hard stare & said they definetely wanted to buy it. The wife then said 'can I help you then'. :lol:

sad & interesting at the same time about the woman selling the cigarette case though. Imagine what her children are going to be like ffs. :(

Most are slightly mad, I know I am.

Interesting instructions on refining silver using acids. Do you think that an ordinary blow torch is hot enough to melt silver? Say you have loads of circuit boards with silver on them, does the Nitric acid only affect the silver?

I love a bit of good anecdotal double-agent.

I have noticed a couple of 'we buy your silver/gold at sh1t prices' stalls on the market now in Ossett, the nearest town to me.

Also the couple of times I walked past there (listening/loitering with Mrs GOM) & the one in the indoor market that has been there ages, we have noticed middle aged women selling what looked like family silver. One conversation I overheard at the indoor one, was a chavvy looking tatooed women about 40, selling a beautiful looking cigarette case (solid silver by the sounds of it), she said she wanted anough money for a night out or about £20, I kid you not.

Whilst said market stall owner was ooring & eering (7 muttering that it wasn't stamped) I piped in with 'if he doesn't want it I will buy it', he & his wife gave me a hard stare & said they definetely wanted to buy it. The wife then said 'can I help you then'. :lol:

sad & interesting at the same time about the woman selling the cigarette case though. Imagine what her children are going to be like ffs. :(

:lol:

yep - i just can't get over the amount of leaflets coming through the door advertising gold-buying events at the local hotel or sell your scrap gold/silver best prices paid etc.

there is a town near me where most of the big retailers have left - gone 2 miles up the road to a modern all-in-one center with car parking; anyway, as you can imagine the town center is now pretty depressed and lo and behold what shop should open up.... the 'gold buying center'. Intrigued, I went in and asked how much I could get for a full sovereign, £85 cash was the reply. I laughed and walked out.

Most are slightly mad, I know I am.

Interesting instructions on refining silver using acids. Do you think that an ordinary blow torch is hot enough to melt silver? Say you have loads of circuit boards with silver on them, does the Nitric acid only affect the silver?

Not really sure about the circuit boards Azazel, but from research to date, I would suggest that the nitric acid will dissolve not only the silver, but solder and most other components.

I was planning to use some old jewellery that the wife won't miss. :lol: All sterling silver (92.5 %) purity.

Looking forward to getting started, will let you know how it goes.....

I still refine small quantities of gold and silver although now only to produce metal that can be used in jewellery, most of this is just melt, assay, remedy and use. I still use some chemicals such as nitric but UK Health & Safety being what it is gets in the way of getting large enough quantities of nitric unless you have a fume hood, etc. We buy one later next year as may have a need for both a hood and the nitric.

Unless you know what you are doing with acids and the reactions from other materials then do yourself a favour and keep away. If you breathe in the fumes you can get your lungs burnt and they do not recover. There are some real killer chemical reactions as well, especially the cyanide ones.

It can be fun but it will never be as cheap as the big boys with their cyanide leech and electro-winning equipment.

I still refine small quantities of gold and silver although now only to produce metal that can be used in jewellery, most of this is just melt, assay, remedy and use. I still use some chemicals such as nitric but UK Health & Safety being what it is gets in the way of getting large enough quantities of nitric unless you have a fume hood, etc. We buy one later next year as may have a need for both a hood and the nitric.

Unless you know what you are doing with acids and the reactions from other materials then do yourself a favour and keep away. If you breathe in the fumes you can get your lungs burnt and they do not recover. There are some real killer chemical reactions as well, especially the cyanide ones.

It can be fun but it will never be as cheap as the big boys with their cyanide leech and electro-winning equipment.

your barbeque nights must be fun. :o :o